Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Shop Expansion - at last (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46866)

KevinF 10-08-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalry (Post 671569)
I'm curious why you cut the joists at an angle. It looks pretty neat, but doesn't it reduce the load capacity of the cantilever?

The taper is purely aesthetic. The last 24 inches taper to a 2x6. The cantilever doesn't bear much for load other than itself, eventually a railing, and the live load. The stairs are hung from a double joist and the first one is not tapered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 671571)
Poor lad needs to get a real camera:D

Bah! The fisheye effect is so hip though!

KevinF 12-12-2016 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got all the OSB sheeting up. Looking at best options for PVC or puck board type sheeting in the bathroom so nothing is sheeted in there. For the meantime at least the vapor barrier is up in the bathroom. Had a brisk cold snap move in last week. Got the LED recessed lighting in upstairs.

Nothing else to report. Spent a lot of time travelling for work. Hunted a little in November. Helped neighbour make an awful mess in my shop. He brought Case mix mill over to work on. Half full. Of course it was torn apart on the hoist and we found out that it in fact would need to be emptied out, contrary to his initial theory. Very dusty.

rustythe4x4 12-12-2016 10:02 PM

Looking good Kev.

My expansion is on hold. Springtime it is.

cutter 12-12-2016 10:05 PM

That sure is a crooked room. :)

digr 12-12-2016 10:14 PM

Thats looking great! What are the plans for the loft?

KevinF 12-14-2016 01:07 PM

Some shelving around part of the outside. Rail and bar stools on the side above the fridge. Couch and 454 coffee table. Maybe a wood stove. Probably a desk of some sort. There is a lot of square footage up there that I don' think I have allocated.

milomilo 12-14-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinF (Post 676637)
There is a lot of square footage up there that I don't think I have allocated.

That won't take long to resolve!!!!:D

kbs2244 12-14-2016 04:35 PM

If you hurry and paint it all white before you so anymore it will make the curve less noticeable.

KevinF 12-14-2016 10:39 PM

Planning to blast some paint in there asap.

Currently working 2 provinces west, in the north.

I also finished screwing all the sheets so they don't droop like pictured.

I ran 2 extra 220 drops into the area under the mezz. That will be where the metal working stuff hangs out. It will be nice to have it out of the way in the shop area. Also will be nice to have the open bay full length, no bench there. Wish previous owner had done a better job with vapor barrier. Lazy azz :mad: Actually wish he had done a better job with a lot of things. oh well.

KevinF 01-07-2017 11:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Needs another coat on the mezz floor/stairs. Ended up just rolling everything because my paint sprayer friend was busy while I was home. He did hook me up with really good price on the primer and paint. About 8 gallons primer and 5 paint laid so far.

Looked at a price for 4x8 sheets of palight board for the walls but $140 per sheet is a little much. Seems there isn't any PVC / plastic veneer/board that is really affordable. If I do half the bathroom I would need 7 or 8 sheets. Maybe just drywall it and use good hard glossy paint to seal it up.

First pic is primer, then the rest paint. Sure did make it look big. For the floor I just tinted the flat white with some latex enamel I had sitting around so it ended up kind of battleship green.. I will get another coat on of something maybe a greenish grey tint.