Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop & Safety (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Shop Expansion - at last (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46866)

KevinF 10-06-2016 05:51 PM

Shop Expansion - at last

5 Attachment(s)
I moved out to my acreage about 5 years ago. The shop lies in a 48x52 pole barn and had a finished heated area of 30x40. I talked to the fellow who built it and he said he always wished he had gone the full width of the building. I quickly had the 30x40 area really filled up with a 4 post hoist, lots of benches and tools, etc. I thought it would be awesome to have the full width of the shop to get the welding bench and metal working tools away from the vehicle bays. I had been gathering things like a washer dryer, etc to eventually build a bathroom out in the shop. Wife ended up asking for a doggy wash out there too.

There was a small room off to the side of the shop where the compressor sat. He ran a water line to the shop, but ran the water line straight up into the exterior wall so it would freeze every winter. I cut a hole in the wall and put in a duct blower to put some heat in there so the water line fittings wouldn't break (which would ultimately result in a mid winter thaw which would cause the water line to go full flow and pump a bunch of water into that room until my pressure system couldn't keep up and cut out).

Start of the pics. Teardown.

KevinF 10-06-2016 06:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Little out of order. I am not changing it. First post took me 6 tries to upload the pics. Always says connection timed out when I try using my phone as a hotspot.

First pic is a before shot of the expanded area from a couple years ago.

Pics of moving the water line further into the building. Me on the backhoe I bought in August. Wife on the mini hoe I rented to help with the plumbing.

The project got a delayed start this year because I spent much of the summer working away. And I was getting the 3 ton to a point where it would move under its own power again.

KevinF 10-06-2016 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I rented a plate tamper and hauled in fill for the pad. Had planned on 4inch pad with a 6 inch thickened edge. I ended up working all weekend I had rented the plate tamper instead of hauling fill and tamping. I wanted to get the pad in. So the rebar went in and I got a 6-7 inch pad. I ordered 5.5m3. Just had enough excess to do the bonus pad in front of the door - very happy about that.

Bought the rebar from a local supplier. They had a 50 piece minimum. They were half the price of Co-op and 1/4 the price of Home Depot though, so even with lots of rebar in the pad and rebar left over, it ended up cheaper.

Hired a guy that had done work for one of Dad's buds to do the finishing.

KevinF 10-06-2016 06:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the first order of lumber from a supplier here. The beam is an LVL (3100Fb) 9.5" height, 1.75" tripled up. The span is 18ft. The lumber from them was good and they fork loaded it which just allowed me to roll in with the gooseneck after a partial day at the office. Would have been ages picking through lumber at Home Depot.

KevinF 10-06-2016 06:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A couple of windows went in upstairs. The front one is a little smaller due to the distance between the 4x6s. Framing around those 4x6s was a bastard. They were twisted badly. In the downstairs part we framed in between them. Upstairs we framed in between them on the front wall. For the side wall (the 30ft wall) we just put together a 30ft stud wall and set it against the twisted 4x6s so it was plumb and parallel to the tin..

Progress on the major stuff has slowed but I think we worked 16 days straight to get it to where it was mostly insulated and closed in. Then I had to go back and do some site work. Have been working on smaller stuff like phone/network wiring, dryer duct, 240v outlets, choosing a water heater, etc. Just today I grabbed a ramset from a friend and shot the walls down.

Cut and pasted this list from another thread on the forum here. It was a pretty busy fall but glad we got it to where we did in time.

July - Ripped 30x16 wall from shop. Did wiring and other stuff to 3 ton.
Aug 15 - Go look at Case 580 SL
Aug 16 - Pay for Case 580 SL and get it shipped home.
Aug 19 - Dig water line further into shop so it doesn't freeze in winter.
Aug 24 - 3 ton able to drive under own power (to get out of shop so excavation and concrete can be done)
Aug 26-27 - Rent mini hoe and dig trench from inside of shop building to outside of building for shop septic. Do rough in plumbing.
Sep 2 - Side slab insulation was dug in after septic hole backfilled. Rent plate tamper and start bringing pad up to grade.
Sep 7 - Rebar.
Sep 8 - Order 5.5m3 of 32MPa concrete for 11x30 pad. Pour pad.
Sep 9 - Bring home gooseneck load of lumber.
Sep 10 - Start framing.
Sep 11 - Shop bathroom framed and 18ft LVL in place.
Sep 12, 13 - 2x10x14 joists up for shop mezzanine.
Sep 15 - Joists blocked. Stairs cut and in place.
... some wiring, insulation, sheeting...
Sep 25 - Windows cut in and installed.
Sep 26 - Wiring, dryer vent, outside frost free tap, caulking windows.
Progress slowed this last week. Did some insulation and vapor barrier, FM antenna, ran additional wiring, vent stack etc.

Tim KS 10-06-2016 09:33 PM

It looks like you're doing a top notch job. Just how many trips to that refrigerator did it take to get that all done. :D

milomilo 10-06-2016 10:33 PM

Looking good. How did you get some of the pics to show the curved wall and lumber?

KevinF 10-06-2016 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Its panoramic mode on the iphone camera.

Lots of trips to the fridge! We are drinking 0.5% beer so the beer bill was cheap and the days were long without any drinking related mistakes. :cool:

On the longer days working upstairs (hauling insulation for the ceiling, cutting sheeting) the stairs were really starting to get to me. 30 and sore knees. :(

Cavalry 10-07-2016 07:23 AM

I'm curious why you cut the joists at an angle. It looks pretty neat, but doesn't it reduce the load capacity of the cantilever?

Ironman 10-07-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 671563)
Looking good. How did you get some of the pics to show the curved wall and lumber?

You should see the sawmill that makes all that bent lumber....and the semi-circular planer.:devil:

Poor lad needs to get a real camera:D

KevinF 10-08-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavalry (Post 671569)
I'm curious why you cut the joists at an angle. It looks pretty neat, but doesn't it reduce the load capacity of the cantilever?

The taper is purely aesthetic. The last 24 inches taper to a 2x6. The cantilever doesn't bear much for load other than itself, eventually a railing, and the live load. The stairs are hung from a double joist and the first one is not tapered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman (Post 671571)
Poor lad needs to get a real camera:D

Bah! The fisheye effect is so hip though!

KevinF 12-12-2016 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got all the OSB sheeting up. Looking at best options for PVC or puck board type sheeting in the bathroom so nothing is sheeted in there. For the meantime at least the vapor barrier is up in the bathroom. Had a brisk cold snap move in last week. Got the LED recessed lighting in upstairs.

Nothing else to report. Spent a lot of time travelling for work. Hunted a little in November. Helped neighbour make an awful mess in my shop. He brought Case mix mill over to work on. Half full. Of course it was torn apart on the hoist and we found out that it in fact would need to be emptied out, contrary to his initial theory. Very dusty.

rustythe4x4 12-12-2016 10:02 PM

Looking good Kev.

My expansion is on hold. Springtime it is.

cutter 12-12-2016 10:05 PM

That sure is a crooked room. :)

digr 12-12-2016 10:14 PM

Thats looking great! What are the plans for the loft?

KevinF 12-14-2016 01:07 PM

Some shelving around part of the outside. Rail and bar stools on the side above the fridge. Couch and 454 coffee table. Maybe a wood stove. Probably a desk of some sort. There is a lot of square footage up there that I don' think I have allocated.

milomilo 12-14-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinF (Post 676637)
There is a lot of square footage up there that I don't think I have allocated.

That won't take long to resolve!!!!:D

kbs2244 12-14-2016 04:35 PM

If you hurry and paint it all white before you so anymore it will make the curve less noticeable.

KevinF 12-14-2016 10:39 PM

Planning to blast some paint in there asap.

Currently working 2 provinces west, in the north.

I also finished screwing all the sheets so they don't droop like pictured.

I ran 2 extra 220 drops into the area under the mezz. That will be where the metal working stuff hangs out. It will be nice to have it out of the way in the shop area. Also will be nice to have the open bay full length, no bench there. Wish previous owner had done a better job with vapor barrier. Lazy azz :mad: Actually wish he had done a better job with a lot of things. oh well.

KevinF 01-07-2017 11:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Needs another coat on the mezz floor/stairs. Ended up just rolling everything because my paint sprayer friend was busy while I was home. He did hook me up with really good price on the primer and paint. About 8 gallons primer and 5 paint laid so far.

Looked at a price for 4x8 sheets of palight board for the walls but $140 per sheet is a little much. Seems there isn't any PVC / plastic veneer/board that is really affordable. If I do half the bathroom I would need 7 or 8 sheets. Maybe just drywall it and use good hard glossy paint to seal it up.

First pic is primer, then the rest paint. Sure did make it look big. For the floor I just tinted the flat white with some latex enamel I had sitting around so it ended up kind of battleship green.. I will get another coat on of something maybe a greenish grey tint.

milomilo 01-07-2017 12:03 PM

Looking very bright!!!

digr 01-07-2017 12:53 PM

Looking great!!!!

Norm W 01-07-2017 04:48 PM

Save these pictures as this is the cleanest it will ever look.:D

Lew Hartswick 01-08-2017 08:38 AM

I was about to ask what the equivalent focal length is on the wide angle for a couple of those pix. but You said it's a "Panorama" I don't have any experience with those. My first impression was about a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera. :-) How does this panorama work with a "phone-camera" ??
...lew...

rustythe4x4 01-08-2017 12:04 PM

There is a "shop tour" planned by Rustyjr and I this spring.
Your shop is on the list.

You are warned. :devil:

gimpyrobb 01-08-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick (Post 678488)
I was about to ask what the equivalent focal length is on the wide angle for a couple of those pix. but You said it's a "Panorama" I don't have any experience with those. My first impression was about a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera. :-) How does this panorama work with a "phone-camera" ??
...lew...

Its a software thing.
You start left, click the picture button and turn right. The phone takes pics as you scan right and then assembles them for one wide pic.

KevinF 01-08-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustythe4x4 (Post 678490)
There is a "shop tour" planned by Rustyjr and I this spring.
Your shop is on the list.

You are warned. :devil:

Get a bus and round up some of those other Easterners and make it an event.

KevinF 01-28-2017 06:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got another coat on the upstairs floor.
Worked in the bathroom:
Finished the vapor barrier
Ran 1/2 pex for warm and 3/4 pex for cold (toilet, washer, outside tap).
Put in safe'n'sound insulation in the room.
Hung drywall (12' sheets on the ceiling and 3 walls).
Built compressor room.

Also bought the tub. Got it for $200, pretty happy with the price.

I am off to work now for a bit, but Dad went today and got the first coat of mud and all the corners on. :cool:

KevinF 01-31-2017 05:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First 3 passes with the mud done. 100% taken care of by my Dad so that's nice. If I am lucky all the room will need is paint and doors and plumbing when I get home.

arcflash 02-18-2017 07:25 AM

Very Very Nice!

KevinF 02-25-2017 06:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Last week's progress makes the wife happy, dog unhappy.

The backsplash for the tub is PALight trimboard. They are pretty proud of it at $160 for a 4x8 1/2" sheet. Came strapped to a skid and fully wrapped, so at least it came well protected for the price. Pretty cool material to work with.

rustythe4x4 02-26-2017 08:40 AM

Looking good Kev. I may get a peek at it today!

KevinF 03-17-2017 12:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I cleaned off some benches, and not just by transferring mass amounts of sh..tuff to another bench!

I plan to move the blue bench against the side wall to the back wall in order to square up the hoist to the bay. Run air line with a drop in the under mezz area and at the hoist. Build some shelving upstairs and get some more totes for organization and storage.

New outside man door. Door for the bathroom. Door for the compressor.

What's the best thing going for running air? 3/4" Rapidair kit?

rustythe4x4 03-18-2017 10:07 AM

I used PEX to run my air. Quick and easy... and cheap.
I have crimpers you can borrow.

KevinF 03-18-2017 12:08 PM

I ordered the 3/4 Rapidair kit and a 3/4 regulator. I'll mount the regulator inside the compressor room on the wall and get a hose made to run the compressor to the reg.

I'll put a drop at the front corner of the hoist, one in the new work area and one outside.

KevinF 09-08-2017 12:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Haven't updated in a while.. Busy summer. I reached a point in the shop I no longer wanted to be working on the shop. Instead really been focusing on the 3 ton project. Of course my daily driver Jetta diesel blew up so I prepared another daily driver diesel jetta. Also been pushing all the bush along the perimeter of my 80 acres for a fence which may get done this fall yet.

The rapid air kit was really nice. The compressor tank has a half inch bung. From there is upsizes to 3/4" everything (to the drops). The aluminum drops for the rapid air kit are 3/8 and my air hoses are 3/8 with 3/8 V couplers. I worked in a low point drain after the whip and regulator because it goes straight up into the attic. 3/4" regulator is off ebay.

In the last picture you can see a hole in the wall by the blue pex-al-pex pipe. I have a drop going out to the cold side of the shop there.

KevinF 09-08-2017 12:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pic 1 - Slot board went up before the drop could go on that wall.
2 - Drop on the pegboard to hose reel. It switches to pipe not only for protection from sparks but because 100ft of airline doesn't go as far as you might expect after running a drop through the attic across the shop.
3 - drop at the hoist. In the pic it is on the wrong side of the hoist pole. However, the hoist had been in the shop slightly crooked so I switched two benches around and straightened out the hoist (me and my OCD). It was a challenge to hit the right spot because I had no access to the ceiling, only from the attic side. So it was careful measuring. The conduit is just for protection and because the pipe doens't stay straight on its own. I welded a plate to the top of the conduit and welded bolts to it. Made a structure in the attic so it is hung from the roof trusses. Lots of work to a stupid air drop. I still would like to string electrical to the front corner of the hoist there.
4 - I can either deflect the conduit or put an angled drain on the hoist drop. I should do the latter and also fix it to the hoist post so no one gets stupid and bends the conduit trying to get one extra foot.
5 - Some cheapie HD cabinets above the washer dryer.

KevinF 09-08-2017 12:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dog baths and grooming
Some stuff is moving upstairs and getting organized. No railing til maybe this winter.
Picked up LED direct wire fluorescent replacement bulbs. For sure these will go under the mezz because the fluorescent ones are messing with FM radio reception down there. Also 3 or 4 of them will go in the dog wash bathroom.
The aforementioned bench moving to straighten hoist