Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   the Bar Starter 30 years later (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48088)

King of Obsolete 06-25-2017 10:15 AM

the Bar Starter 30 years later

4 Attachment(s)
i had to whip up another bar starter yesterday 30 years after i made the first one. this is a bigger motor and more thought was required to build it. to prove a point i put a pipe wrench on the drive shaft of the motor then bounced my body weight on the pipe. nothing happened. used the same pipe on the bar starter and only one hand and the engine broke free.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Shade Tree Welder 06-25-2017 10:35 AM

What do you do to keep the starter gear engaged? Weld it? Wedge?

toprecycler 06-25-2017 11:12 AM

I like the mechanical advantage! First time I have seen that.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

King of Obsolete 06-25-2017 12:08 PM

yes the bendix is welded in the engaged position. lots of welds too.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

digger doug 06-25-2017 07:58 PM

This looks like a very good way to bust a tooth (or teeth) off a flywheel...

Tim KS 06-25-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 688888)
This looks like a very good way to bust a tooth (or teeth) off a flywheel...

If that engine would kick over and start, it would beat you to death before you could let go of the pipe. :devil: :D :devil: :D

Samcord 06-25-2017 09:10 PM

How ya gonna get ignition with 1/4 turn of a starter motor? Seems like any compression would leak down in the time it takes to remove the starter, and install the whojamacalit. Also I don't think this is the type of thing you would need on an engine in running condition.

Scrapper Greg 06-25-2017 09:19 PM

Guys, if Joey can get any compression out of that engine I would be greatly surprised!!!! Look close, the head is off the engine.:D

King of Obsolete 06-25-2017 11:02 PM

yes, the engine will never start because it is seized and the bar starter just breaks it free. you will never break a tooth off the flywheel or bendix because the small diameter armature will break before that will happen. in 30 years of use, i have never had a problem that is why i built it in the first place.

the grader engine is back together and a week from now when the gasket goo is dry i can try starting the engine with a real electric starter hooked to the batterys, lol.

thansk
KoO
Published Authp

Tim KS 06-26-2017 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samcord (Post 688891)
How ya gonna get ignition with 1/4 turn of a starter motor? Seems like any compression would leak down in the time it takes to remove the starter, and install the whojamacalit. Also I don't think this is the type of thing you would need on an engine in running condition.

Oh, I know there is no way that would start that engine. That was only a "What if..." thought that popped into my mind.

....and yep, I noticed the head was off the engine too. :D