Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical & Electrical (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Water Pump (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47970)

milomilo 05-16-2017 05:19 PM

Water Pump
 
My 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9 sprung a leak this morning. Large puddle under the truck. I see two P/N's for the water pump, 5086959AA and 5086959AB for my truck.

Any difference between them?

Windy_Acres 05-16-2017 07:44 PM

Yes, the part numbers are different :rolleyes:

5,555 posts today, and not a one any better than the rest.

Best I can see, AB supersedes AA.. Id go with AB. Otherwise, it says they are interchangable, but Neal might know the nitty gritty.

How many miles did you get ?

milomilo 05-16-2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy_Acres (Post 686988)
Yes, the part numbers are different :rolleyes:

5,555 posts today, and not a one any better than the rest.

Best I can see, AB supersedes AA.. Id go with AB. Otherwise, it says they are interchangable, but Neal might know the nitty gritty.

How many miles did you get ?

215K It is getting new upper and lower hoses too. Thanks for the info.

SmokinDodge 05-16-2017 08:37 PM

Don't have a clue other than I can tell that is not a Cummins number. May be a supplier change, or update. If it's a mopar number all bets are off.


I've seen some water pumps with a tin cover over the ends of the veins and some without.

I get the gates from oreillys for about $60

It's a great time to flush your cooling system and change antifreeze. Over time the additives wear out in coolant and it can become caustic to cast iron.

milomilo 05-16-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge (Post 686994)
Don't have a clue other than I can tell that is not a Cummins number. May be a supplier change, or update. If it's a mopar number all bets are off.


I've seen some water pumps with a tin cover over the ends of the veins and some without.

I get the gates from oreillys for about $60

It's a great time to flush your cooling system and change antifreeze. Over time the additives wear out in coolant and it can become caustic to cast iron.

I have an O'Reilly here it town. The coolant will be replaced as well as the upper and lower hoses.

milomilo 05-16-2017 10:04 PM

Neal, do you put and sealer of lube on the Oring on the water pump?

SmokinDodge 05-16-2017 11:29 PM

I just use a bit of axle grease to hold the seal in the pump as I put it in place.

That has to be one of the greatest designs of a water EVER, btw.

milomilo 05-17-2017 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinDodge (Post 687006)
I just use a bit of axle grease to hold the seal in the pump as I put it in place.

That has to be one of the greatest designs of a water EVER, btw.

i was amazed at the simplicity of the design too. I was expecting 5-6 bolts and 2 of which, would be a bitch to get to. Look like it will be the easiest water pump replacement i have ever done.:)

digger doug 05-17-2017 07:48 AM

Change out the heater hose's too...

milomilo 05-17-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger doug (Post 687015)
Change out the heater hose's too...

Got the pump and radiator hoses done this morning. Supposed to rain the next two days, so the heater hoses will have to wait a few days. Driving with the radiator flush for 2 3 days anyway before the the drain and fill with new antifreeze.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.