Shop Floor Talk

Shop Floor Talk (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fabrication (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lawnmower Epic Fail (http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47928)

jimkinney 05-06-2017 01:17 PM

Lawnmower Epic Fail

5 Attachment(s)
About half way through mowing the back yard and this happens. Ten year old Craftsman, garage kept, only used on the weekends, should of got more life out of it.

Hammered the pieces flat and hammered them together and broke out the welder.

Welds aren't the best, almost out of gas, windy and I'm rusty, mostly I'm rusty.

I pulled the other side apart and it needed welding too.

Cleaned it up and sprayed some new red paint on it and I'm back in business. Hopefully get another ten years out of it.

Jim

milomilo 05-06-2017 05:53 PM

Do you wash the underside after every mowing? I sprayed mine with automotive undercoating. Helps protect the steel from rusting.

digr 05-06-2017 05:58 PM

Good repair I have done the same.

Lew Hartswick 05-06-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milomilo (Post 686486)
Do you wash the underside after every mowing? I sprayed mine with automotive undercoating. Helps protect the steel from rusting.

That is what happens when you mow wet grass and don't clean and dry the machine. Now in NM (and probably in WY) it's never that wet to cause a problem. :-) Back in PA it was like that. :-)
...lew...

rmack898 05-06-2017 07:10 PM

They sure don't make them like they used to. Good fix, but next year you will have to do the back wheels.

Tim KS 05-06-2017 07:30 PM

I've done the same repair on my old pusher....except I welded a 4"x4" piece of plate over it after the patch was welded, re-drilled the holes. I think I did all four wheels at the same time. :cool:

RED caddy 05-06-2017 07:52 PM

Here on the sand spit, we very seldom keep a deck long enough to see that kind of failure. The sand we have to grow grass in just sand blasts the metal out of the volute, until the engine just falls off.

On my longest running rider, I picked it up used, re built it and had the deck Rino Liner coated, top and bottom. (A buddy bought a franchise) It's an old Massy-Furgeson, going on it's 11th season on that old deck I weld repaired and coated. 2 engines, jackshaft replacement and a tranny rebuild later, the deck is still kickin. Now THATS undercoating.

RED

slip knot 05-06-2017 11:05 PM

Nice save. my lawn mower deck repairs always look crappy, I just blame it on the contaminants in the recycled metal.:D

jimkinney 05-07-2017 07:40 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I do spray it underneath after each use. The well water here used for irrigation is brackish (salty) and part of the yard is along a salty pond. Red is correct about the sand under the grass also. I should have undercoated it, maybe the next one.

Back wheels attach differently to the side and back, but have had to do minor replace bolts back there.

Thanks,

Jim

Silverback 05-07-2017 04:46 PM

10 years?

Around here it doesn't matter how you take care of it a modern mower doesn't last that long without repairs (though I know of 30y/o "cheap" at the time mowers that look better than my 5y/o craftsman).

The John Deere that I had before my craftsman the deck rotted out around the volute around the engine at about 8 years so bad that there was nothing to weld back together and for a while I just taped it back together with aluminum tape and painted the top side green and the bottom side got a heavy coat of truck bedliner and I got another season out of it.

For the most part I've gotten so tired of the quality of current reasonably priced mowers (say under $350-400 last time I shopped) that I've taken to looking for a good one on clearance/lightly used that matches my criteria (self propelled rear drive) for half price or less when mine starts getting annoying to repair, usually I find a new one that was assembled wrong at the local Sears for less than 50% of the original price within a year or 2. I need to start looking for one for this 5y/o craftsman, honestly the deck on this one is not too bad yet, but the stupid automatic choke design drives me crazy (a plastic arm that goes under the heat shields near the exhaust that melts in less than a season), it uses a bunch of oil and the drive is slipping badly. Stuff that is fixable but after a while it's just not worth doing repeatedly, it will limp along like this for at least a year or 2.