Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

I have an air governor I can donate if you decide to go that route.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
I have an air governor I can donate if you decide to go that route.
I appreciate it, when I figure out if I'm going that route i'll contact you.
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM

When last saw our intrepid hero...

Sorry I disappeared, things just got busy (my county has decided that vehicle repair in residential areas is not allowed though there doesn't appear to be any laws against it so besides life's normal craziness I've been trying to make 7 cars and a garage full of machining equipment look "normal") and I was at a stalled point with this. I need to figure out if whatever is squeaking with the magnetik motor is fixable and I still haven't had time to take it apart.

In the mean time it was driving me crazy not having any kind of shop air, and last night I managed to borrow my dad's old compressor (he's in his 80's and hasn't touched it for a while). I couldn't even see it under the pile of stuff that accumulated over it, but after some digging I had my prize: and early 60's vintage (I think) 1/2hp craftsman "paint spraying kit." My godfather (who I never really knew but heard plenty of stories and pictures, he died when I was 1) used to come over to my dad's house with a gallon of paint and change the color of his car with this thing. I actually painted my first car with this in the late 80's/early 90's (Buffalo cars used to rot out every winter, you would fix what was rotted every spring, I used to spend a lot of time fixing my parent's cars).

There's a lot of memories with this thing, working on cars with my dad when I was little.

I ended up taking apart all the air fittings (my dad has gotten kind of bad at working on these things, they were all gooped up with teflon tape inside everywhere), changed the oil and stuck it in the place of the big compressor.

It looks funny sitting there with a 1/2" hose hooking it up into my basement and garage air lines, and I had to run an extension cord across the basement to plug it in, I didn't have any 110V outlets on that side of the basement.

The twins and I went and inflated some tires. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_035716.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	136063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_035702.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	136064   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_052333.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	136065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_173041.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	136066  
1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
BFH
Old 10-12-2016, 07:41 PM

I really forgot how nice this thing is to use. It's really quiet compared to the big compressor. it just sorta chug chug chugs, the loudest noise it makes is it scooting across the floor as it pumps.

I ended up checking the motor, 1/2hp, 3450rpm, with roughly a 7-5/8" compressor pulley and 2-3/8" motor pulley- just over 1000rpm

I'm liking this kellogg idea more and more.

So when I was cleaning the teflon out of the threads/regulator I was looking for a pick that I knew I just "cleaned up" somewhere, and found something funny, a 15.25", 1" bore pulley...

Huh, where did that come from???? (really I don't know, it looks new and it's exactly the shaft size of the Kellogg, I REALLY don't remember buying one for it, if I did I probably would have done a twin groove one).

It's amazing what you'll find under a big enough pile of shop stuff. I wonder if it just grew there on it's own?

Well that should be big enough, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_052440.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	136067   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_044528.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	136068   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_052318.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	136069   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_051019.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	136070  
BFH

Last edited by Silverback; 10-12-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post

So when I was cleaning the teflon out of the threads/regulator I was looking for a pick that I knew I just "cleaned up" somewhere, and found something funny, a 15.25", 1" bore pulley...

Huh, where did that come from???? (really I don't know, it looks new and it's exactly the shaft size of the Kellogg, I REALLY don't remember buying one for it, if I did I probably would have done a twin groove one).

It's amazing what you'll find under a big enough pile of shop stuff. i wonder if it just grew there on it's own?

Well that should be big enough, right?
lol That is funny.
I usually have the opposite problem. I spend hours looking for things I used to have but that I've evidently already given away or thrown away or something. Last week it was the old electric weedeater that I know I once owned; Armando had loaned his gas machine to this son & couldn't find him to get it back so he was trying to use a phony little single string electric. I was going to give him the old Skil that I hadn't used in 20 years but it's gone, somewhere.
I finally dug out my Echo & gassed it up so he could finish but I didn't give it to him. I can't be losing two weedeaters in the same day, after all.

Yeah, I think that pulley should be big enough. Is it grooved for an adequate belt?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
lol That is funny.
I usually have the opposite problem. I spend hours looking for things I used to have but that I've evidently already given away or thrown away or something.
Oh, I usually spend hours looking for stuff i know I have

Quote:
Yeah, I think that pulley should be big enough. Is it grooved for an adequate belt?
It's grooved for an A or B belt... I have no idea if that's adequate.
BFH
Old 10-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Thinking out loud, I have 3 questions (I'm sure more will follow):
  • If a single v-belt and small pulley on the motor has problems with belt wrap is there a reason not to put an idler/tensioner pressing against the back of the belt like they often do with multi-rib/micro v belts?
  • Is there a reason why it seems like every compressor if you look at it from the back has the pulleys on the RH/passenger side with the motor mounted on the front? Is there a reason not to mount them with the pulles on the LH/driver's side with the motor on the back?
  • I know about all the warnings about welding on air tanks (and I'm embarrassed to admit that I've actually fixed leaking welds on tanks before, before I really knew about the danger with it), but I could really use a larger mounting pad for the compressor/motor on this tank, how big a problem is it really if I just extend the pad and run a couple of maybe 1" or so long beads to hold it to the top of the tank (and I know that some of you are freaking out right now, but I'm looking for not the "safety first" answer but the real world answer for someone that can really run pretty decent welds)? Any alternative ideas, I don't think the little pad that is there is thick enough to really hold a bigger pad attached to it.
BFH
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Auction Addict

I'll bite. Manufactures weld on motor brackets to tanks all over the world. I picked up a good used 220 gallon ASME rated gallon tank and mounted motor and pump brackets to it a few years back. The tank wall was 1/4", not the 1/8" you get on small compressor tanks today.

Not the first time I did it either. May not be last last time either. Got a lot of crap here for doing it too. Anyway, that is my real world answer.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
I don't think the little pad that is there is thick enough to really hold a bigger pad attached to it.
If you balance the load of the new pad with motor & compressor head installed the old pad wouldn't need to be very robust. Most of the stress would be on the new mounting plate.
Just don't use it as a lifting eye.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'll bite. Manufactures weld on motor brackets to tanks all over the world. I picked up a good used 220 gallon ASME rated gallon tank and mounted motor and pump brackets to it a few years back. The tank wall was 1/4", not the 1/8" you get on small compressor tanks today.

Not the first time I did it either. May not be last last time either. Got a lot of crap here for doing it too. Anyway, that is my real world answer.
I did a bunch of welds on the propane tank I used for a compressor tank. Welded the whole motor platform and bungs for drains on it. That was the one where I did my home made hydro test. Most those tanks made today are very thin, a 1/4 wall tank is a jewel to have. At least the propane tanks are hi tensile steel, but they are thin too. A thin tank has little room to rust if you don't drain regularly.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green