Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 11-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Gold Star Dad

When I built my garage, there were a couple structural issues. Ine was with some stair treads where they turned the corners. Another was with cross-bracing on some of those arch thingies, for the roof.

The inspector showed up 2 hours late, mentioned the infractions, but gave me a clean ticket with the promise I'd fix it. Of course, I told him I didn't have anywhere to go or anything to do that day, so it was cool that he was late. No biggie.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Seeing as you are over 200' away and likely didn't bury a ground wire going back to the main, yes you need to drive ground rods. There are pretty specific rules about them now a days. Particularly that the ground cable has to be continuous and not split from one rod to the other. There is also a certain potential that they look for when measuring the rods, and if that number isn't right they will ask you to drive another, up till about 6 rods before they figure you wont get any better. All according to the sparkies I take advice from.

I ran my ground back to the main. Another thing to note, since I ran mine back to the main panel, I remove the neutral bonding screw to the ground in the sub panel. If you run a earth ground, then I'm pretty sure you have to bond the two in the sub.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 PM

If someone only buried 3 conductors then all you can have is 120 volts, a 4-wire feed has been required by the NEC for a number of editions. The days of running 3 conductors to a outbuilding is long gone.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:34 PM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
Seeing as you are over 200' away and likely didn't bury a ground wire going back to the main, yes you need to drive ground rods. There are pretty specific rules about them now a days. Particularly that the ground cable has to be continuous and not split from one rod to the other. There is also a certain potential that they look for when measuring the rods, and if that number isn't right they will ask you to drive another, up till about 6 rods before they figure you wont get any better. All according to the sparkies I take advice from.

I ran my ground back to the main. Another thing to note, since I ran mine back to the main panel, I remove the neutral bonding screw to the ground in the sub panel. If you run a earth ground, then I'm pretty sure you have to bond the two in the sub.
I don't believe you can bond the two in the sub, only the main.

I did pull a separate ground therefor I will add a ground bar, and ground rods, but it will be isolated from the neutral. Like Mac said.

Pops, you're 1 wire short, but you probably knew that
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Hell if I know, I ran mine from the meter, I didn't go to the Main with my Sub.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 11-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Gold Star Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
... Pops, you're 1 wire short, but you probably knew that
People have said I'm a few dB down, but in this case there are three 2/0 wires and an additional ground wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3473.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	136830