Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-24-2017, 09:10 PM

Default fluctuation in power

Hello all, I have an old lincoln ac tombstone welder. there are times when I can strike the arc and it welds without any issues. other times, it feels like it doesn't have enough power and the electrodes keep sticking, or I'm having a hard time maintaining the arc. voltage and material is the same. any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Roving Reporter

I would check the ground half of the circuit. Poor contact somewhere can cause issues.

If the problems come at a certain time of day, it may be related to input voltage. Our rural service fluctuates several volts through the day. There are also a lot of big loads tied into our grid that give bumps and spikes. Drives some of our electronics bonkers.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:28 AM
Lord of the Minions

As if you haven't already checked................

Your ground clamp and lead connections. If your ground cable is connected to the machine check as close to the lug as possible.

Remove the lead clean the stud and lug and put back together.

Do the same where the cable to the clamp connects.

Double check your stinger to make sure the cable is/has good connection. Same at the machine.

If there are any nicks or cuts in the wire, make sure that corrosion has not set in.

I'm probably fairly sure that if your box is old, like 60's or so old it probably has copper innards. There are connections in there as well.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
Hello all, I have an old lincoln ac tombstone welder. there are times when I can strike the arc and it welds without any issues. other times, it feels like it doesn't have enough power and the electrodes keep sticking, or I'm having a hard time maintaining the arc. voltage and material is the same. any ideas?
Thanks
There are good comments on checking your connections, but remember what goes in comes out. I would also monitor the high side when this occurs to see what the powerline is trying to feed you. And also the connections in the welder on that side.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
Thanks
Is an extension cord involved?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:27 PM

The contacts on the selector switch may be corroded too. BTDT. sometimes I could switch it back and forth a couple of times and it would start working right again. Finally took it apart and it had some green crud built up on the contacts.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Roving Reporter

Refresh my memory. Your Lincoln tombstone isn't a sliding core transformer type, right?

My Old Century welder is a sliding transformer type. A while ago, I had similar problems, but I could see the adjustment dial was moving while I had my hood down. I opened it up and adjusted the lock mechanism for the slider.