Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 05-31-2017, 02:06 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
IH motors don't like advance, factory spec is 0* at idle. I am suspicious of too much overall advance, but can't figure out a way to measure it yet, and have to figure out how to adjust the vacuum can.
You need to put cylinder #1 at TDC and mark the dampner. I've seen more than one that the outer shell has turned and the timing marks are waaaay outta whack.

If you get or borrow a fancy timing light they have a dial you can advance the timing light to check to total advance.

Have you verified the accuracy of your gauge?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Da Chief

Yep, timing is the usual suspect in over heating I had a 4 cyl, (half of a 350) and the same V8 like yours.

Take a really close look inside the distributor, check the centrifugal and vacuum advance parts, as they are prone to rust up. If you can find a shop with an "old school" sun distributor machine, this is the most accurate fix. most GM vac cans can be adjusted with a 1/16 th allen wrench thru the vac port. Careful a little turn is a lot.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
Shroud needs to be as close to the blade tips as possible. 1/2" at most. Fan should also be mostly in the shroud, with shroud tight fitting to the radiator...I'm assuming too that the fan is spinning the correct direction to be a puller.
+1 on this ^^^^

The condensor shouldn't be an issue as long as the fins aren't clogged with oil, bugs or leaves and besides, it is not (yet) transferring any heat. The condensor should be "sealed" to the radiator with its own side shrouds but this shouldn't matter as the A/C is not yet hooked up.

Go through with an IR temp gun (HF, $20 or so) and check temp of the various components, top and bottom of radiator, etc.

Perhaps you'll need to add an aftermarket, thermostatically controlled pusher electric fan...

My limited IH experience makes me think that the V-8s were timed on #8... I could be wrong but just one of those things that stuck in my head.

PS: and timing should be checked with the vac. adv. disconnected and hose plugged. I would use ported vacuum but I don't know what IH used. The mech. adv. can be checked easy enough by bringing the revs up with timing light hooked up--you should see the mark advance up the scale as revs are increased.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 05-31-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
Standard of Excellence

I believe the fan is in the proper orientation, I think it says engine side on the hub, but it is a pain to remove to check, but based on pictures of other fans I think it is right, and it is a puller.

Timing is set off number 8, and I don't think IH balancers can spin, but I will double check. I did try retarding it more after it was set at zero and it starts to run like crap.

All parts are brand new, so nothing is plugged