Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Lord of the Minions

G'Robb, that's a bit more of a try than I'm willing to make. lol Looking at it closely, that goop looks more like a 2 part 10 minute epoxy. A bright satiny goop. Finger nail will not make a dent in it.

Gwiz, in all of my searchings on the www this is the first time I've seen this article. Thanks much for posting it. All in all, looks like this explanation covers most of what my questions would have been.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:43 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Looking at the instructions, etc on this, it appears to need a computer box for the adapter wiring to talk to. Do you have the box from a wrecked car, or did that ECU come with the steering motor when you bought that?

I see they have kit without the adjustment pot that does it automatically.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
or did that ECU come with the steering motor when you bought that
There is a box mounted on the steering gear/motor assy that the harness set plugs into and do think it would be called so.

Not sure exactly what all of this does but I am hoping that it works. lol

I spent a lot of seat time backing up etc all weekend. I'm really looking forward to not having to do so with both hands on the wheel sitting in that odd position.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Norm.......an update on your post

Quote:
I've been watching this for a while and wondering. I can remember mowing with a 6' sickle bar mower on an "A" when I was like 10 and 11 years old. I weighed somewhere between 65 and 75 lbs. I don't remember any problem with the steering. Brakes, yes, I didn't have the weight or leg length to have them hold going backwards. Are all the moving parts free to move? I would have to figure that you have a bit more strength than I had at that time.
Norm, while I'm wanting to basically semi-rebuild some of the parts on these SA's, I'm not going to call it restorations.

My go to SA is the one that steers terribly, the last SA just received seems to have considerably easier steering, although there is some play in the box.

As all parts are the same basically between the years of these two tractors, I'm going to pull the front steering assy complete with all that bolts on to the front of the engine cases and swap on the tractors.

This will have my SA's front end on the other and versa.

Hopefully this will allow easier steering on mine, while being used, and allow me to rebuild the one sitting in the garage for repair.

I have parts to rebuild the gov and will do so on the one not in use, then swap it out on mine. Rebuilding mine later as I receive the parts.

That way I can just swap better or rebuilt parts on mine and rebuild the others as time allows.

There will come a point where some major work and parts will come into play as I start pulling down the running gears and transmission sections aft of the engine, but seals brakes etc must be changed/fixed on both.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

As there are subtle changes in the way certain parts are designed within the steering box between years, I have to open the steering boxes to see what type/shape of the rod ends are to be able to order the right type of shaftings and gears specific to each.

Opening up this steering box is no easy task as the steering wheel shaft to the box, as well as the tie ends need to be removed before the box can be removed from the steering frame work bolted to the front of the engine.

Probably the box removal would take a good 4 hrs to accomplish with the steering wheel removal taking at least 2 of those. sigh The newest given tractor's steering wheel has signs of being beaten on by someone in the past. Not sure if they ever got it off. My plan should the thing not want to budge with heat or pullers is to slice it's hub, I do have another new steering wheel on the shelf I bought some years ago to replace it.

Sorry for no pics, but living in two different parts of the State is a bitch to make plans.