Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Last year I picked up a Yates American table saw. This thing is vintage, but a seemingly solid machine. It's actually a combination table saw, jointer and disc sander.

The seller informed me that it needed a new switch - he was right the toggle was busted off. I went ahead and pulled the 1 hp Franklin motor, installed new wiring, plug, and switch. After I plugged it in I was delighted to hear it run and watch the blade spring to life - for about 20 seconds.

Took it all back apart and checked the capacitor - checked out good. I moved on to cleaning the centrifugal switch and it's contacts - the action seems fine. After putting it all back together and getting the same result I said piss on it and it sat - until now.

For grins I fired it back up and of course got the same result. Today I took the motor out, tried it on the bench and it would only hum. Took the back cover off and found two broken wires. I can see where both ends of the black wire goes, but the only end of the blue wire still attached goes to the windings. No telling where the rest goes.

Using the attached pictures, can any of those smarter than me (that would be all of you) tell me how to figure out where the blue wire goes?

Is there a way to pull the windings out so I can solder in new wires at the source instead of patching them?

I suppose I may as well get a new capacitor anyway considering I have the bastard all apart again...
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Forgot the pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170616_205038.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	139778   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170616_205046.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	139779   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170616_205052.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	139780   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170616_205100.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	139781  
Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Lord of the Minions

I'd believe I've never seen a water well pump found for shallow wells for house water etc has ever had anything but Franklins attached for power.

Here in Laf we have a great Electric Motor fixit shop that will rewind and do all sort of neat nifty stuff to old motors and I've used them several times over the years.

I have a 220 motor sitting on a 2" pump and had the wiring corrode like the looks of yours. Dropped it off at their shop and got a call that same afternoon. Fixed, $45 bucks out the door. Hell, they even recoated the insides and repainted the outside.

I was impressed.

It would be hard to believe with the years Franklin ele motors have been on the market that you could not find explicit wiring diagrams on-line.

Give it a shot.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 PM
SFT Historian

It is hard to see much in your pictures

I would start by identifying the run windings then the start wires.

The attached drawing "not being the same" but should help id the start and run coils. note the cap and start switch are the start circuit.
The run winding, two coils wired in parallel for 120 volt operation or in series for 240v.

Don't rule out the broken wires being some type of temperature cut-out switch buried between the coil and case.
again first id the run and start winding's.

Here is a thread getting into connections.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=41360
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor 102005_52_52390_365 wiring pix .pdf (83.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I'd believe I've never seen a water well pump found for shallow wells for house water etc has ever had anything but Franklins attached for power.

Here in Laf we have a great Electric Motor fixit shop that will rewind and do all sort of neat nifty stuff to old motors and I've used them several times over the years.

I have a 220 motor sitting on a 2" pump and had the wiring corrode like the looks of yours. Dropped it off at their shop and got a call that same afternoon. Fixed, $45 bucks out the door. Hell, they even recoated the insides and repainted the outside.

I was impressed.

It would be hard to believe with the years Franklin ele motors have been on the market that you could not find explicit wiring diagrams on-line.

Give it a shot.
I spent some time trying just that before I posted here, I was unable to locate anything helpful. Franklin does have a plethora of wiring diagrams for their newer stuff on the website, but nothing that looked like what I needed.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
It is hard to see much in your pictures

I would start by identifying the run windings then the start wires.

The attached drawing "not being the same" but should help id the start and run coils. note the cap and start switch are the start circuit.
The run winding, two coils wired in parallel for 120 volt operation or in series for 240v.

Don't rule out the broken wires being some type of temperature cut-out switch buried between the coil and case.
again first id the run and start winding's.

Here is a thread getting into connections.
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=41360
Marathon Electric - they are about 30 minutes from the house. Thank you for the diagram, I am determined to see if I can figure this one out without taking it to the motor shop.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 PM

Got it! Studied the drawing posted by GWIZ for a while and took a shot. Fired up the motor on the bench and ran it for a minute and all was well. Installed it in the saw and it runs great! Thanks everyone for the help.