Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Cool Can I cut an Acetylene tank in 1/2 to scrap it?

Hi all! Please don't think I'm an idiot, but I was given a couple outdated Acetylene tanks and some outdated O2 tanks. I want to get rid of them rather then recert them (I have as many as I need) My local scrap yard will take the O2 tanks if cut in 1/2, but will not take the Acetylene at all! Why is this? If I can cut it safely and remove the acetone I should be O.K. right?

Please advise....
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 PM

The act tank cant be cut to the best of my knowledge. It has some kind of stone filler in it to keep the acetone stable. You might try just giving them to the local weld shop or post them on craigslist for free. maybe someone else would get them certified and reuse them. It would seem like such a wast to just cut up the tanks.

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

I'd sell them as well if for nothing just to keep them around......if you do toss them you'll kick yourself the first time you go to get your tanks swapped out and they don't have any on hand .......just because the cert date is out is no big deal....I have seen tanks that the first test date on them was in the early 20's still going strong....no telling how many valves and coats of paint, but still serviceable none the less......

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
no bull it's huge!

If you really don't want them, let's figure out a way to ship them to Iowa. I need both oxygen and acetelene!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

Haz Mat Freight is one (legal) way.....possibly others, but UPS wont ship anything that has at one time contained any flammable gas....plus the bottom plug would be missing from the ace by the time you got it ....Fed Ex wont ship them.....check with your LWS they may know of a carrier that would.....

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Curmudgeon

Okay, I guess I have to be the one to ask:
Cut them how with what?
I've heard there's a guy in somewhere in Afghanistan who might like to speak with you.

If Ă˜bama had a son he'd look like Mohammod Abdulazeez.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks...the reason I wanted to get rid of them is because I was given three oxy's and two acet tanks. We already have three of each, but only use one set. Don't know.....guess I could keep them around, but we don't do much burning or cutting for the one set we have let alone 5 sets! Maybe I will do the local Craigs list....anything received would be better than the scrap value in baltimore of $105/2000 lbs!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Duke of Rock

Send a message via Yahoo to Dallas B

I cut my old tank's up the other day, did not get anything for them at the scrap yard.......I do have a pic of the cutting.......Oh...dont worry about gloves........... http://www.dailymotion.com/cluster/e...kaboom_extreme
Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM

Talking

That was the best....woke half the house up with my laughter! Yeah....maybe I'll sell them instead!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
from the land of fruits and nuts

If you can store them, they're always worth keeping around for barter also.