Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
That's LWS policy, not legal statute. The major vendors love vendor lock.

If you have friends with contracts you can cycle multiple cylinders through them.
All of the LWS will not fill cylinders over a certain size unless they are leased from them. If they are private owned, they will not fill them. Already one of the LWS in our area, will not fill any bottle, they do not own, regardless of size.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
trust but verify

That's vile. It's not like they couldn't hydro them and press on. I've had a few "owner" cylinders hydro'ed no problem here in SC.

If you can find an independent hydro tester (perhaps a fire extinguisher firm) you could test any which are past due (it was eleven bucks for the last one I had done) then transfill owned non-acetylene cylinders yourself, but that's only worth it for filling small portable cylinders from large ones or if you want to disperse partially-filled cylinders to different welders instead of leasing multiple cylinders.

Anyone with a bunch of cylinders they can't get filled should consider posting in case someone who can get them filled elsewhere can make use of them. Neck rings and sticker pics help greatly. I have more than enough cylinders but others may not.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
I did not need to see those
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas B View Post
I cut my old tank's up the other day, did not get anything for them at the scrap yard.......I do have a pic of the cutting.......Oh...dont worry about gloves........... http://www.dailymotion.com/cluster/e...kaboom_extreme
Well, they call me "The Gloves". and I know I did'nt get hurt.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Minions

Just to bring this older thread back to today.............

Several months ago I was given a half dozen small to very large Acety tanks that were sitting in a friends blasting yard with his not knowing how to rid himself of them.

Of course the pack rat that I am, I hauled them to the farm and banded them together in an open side shed out back, opened the valves for a few months and then removed said valves from the tanks.

Filled them with water and layed each on saw horses one at a time and used a tool I made that works much like a Roto Rooter head which fit inside the tanks opening and basically cut/routed out the material inside the tank. The tool doing the cutting also had water under a little pressure being injected into the tank as the tool was cutting.

Made a mess as far as cuttings, but satisfied me as to the tanks now being "inert" with the exception of what was left of the fibre material left after.

I then cut the tanks as needed with my 7"x12" bandsaw with a few minor tinkerings to get the full circumference cut.

Worked rather well.

FWIW, I would not nor would I ever cut these tanks with a torch or plasma with any remaining firber left inside.. but that's just me.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 01-20-2017 at 03:36 PM.