Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH35 View Post
Do you guys have this many add-ons to your bill? I'm sure some of you pay more per KW than I do.
Hell, your even paying .98 a month for those accounts that can't or don't pay their bill.

Scott
Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 AM
there has to be an answer

Here's my bill. All in with tax it is 14.9 cents.

There are several components to the bill. First is the actual electricity, high voltage distribution network, local distribution network, local county taxes. We are paying more for being hooked up than for the actual electricity.

The transmission number has increased as they have been doing a major transmission network upgrade. The network was built for coal generation stations, but, all the new capacity from was in a different location. I forget the exact number, but it was many billions to build new power lines for the new wind power. We are saving the world one monthly electricity at a time.

Our prices will zoom. We are going to save the planet. They are going to shut down cheap coal plants, invest in more wind etc. Then to top it off they have added a carbon tax, so all the new gas fired electricity will increase. It's time to go LED, get rid of old refrigerators freezers, turn off or down everything. I saw somewhere that the actual electricity will go to 15 cents vs the 3.5-4 cents now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cut bill2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	131198  
Old 04-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

We are getting closer to "generating your own" costs.
We as a state have to survive the next few years til the election.
Piss on the planet. They want to re-create that mess of Ontario.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Large scale wind energy...ugh. My cousin is an executive for a large company and they invested in large wind farms a few years back. Now they're selling them all off. Taxes on vast expanses of land, maintenance and just outright cost of large windmills and parts is costing them money instead of making profit.

I looked into a windmill and some solar to offset my electric bill here at the house, but cripes, it costs more to buy it than I'd ever recoup in savings.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:43 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
We are getting closer to "generating your own" costs. We as a state have to survive the next few years til the election. Piss on the planet. They want to re-create that mess of Ontario.
Oh, electricity isn't the only mess the liberals have created here.

Had a bill last summer that was almost ZERO power used, and still cost me $45.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

Power companies got ya "right there" and they use it to their advantage. Ottertail Power, who supplies many cities in ND, MN, and SD, has a coal fired plant at Big Stone City, SD. A number of years ago, they made plans to build another plant there. They purchased ground and made a large investment in laying plans, then abandoned the idea. They asked for, and got, from our Public Service Commission, a surcharge on our power bills to help offset the costs incurred. Damned fools, in Bismarck, ND, let them do it. How I see it is; they're a business. Businesses regularly gamble on the future by expanding or upgrading. Due to competition by like businesses, they can't add charges to the price of their product, they have to eat them in order to stay competitive. Since power companies have a captive audiences, so to speak, they don't have competition. Our PSC should have told them to eat their gamble as well. I have remembered that every time a Public Service Commissioner is up for reelection. They don't maintain their infrastructure any more than they have to. We have problems with tree branches hanging over lines and, when they get wet from rain, and the wind blows, we have parts of town that are a sure cinch to lose power, including sewer lift stations and water system booster pump stations. It must be cheaper to pay their linemen overtime to come out at night and on weekends to reroute power than it is to take care of the problem in the first place.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopmonkey View Post
How I see it is; they're a business. Businesses regularly gamble on the future by expanding or upgrading. Due to competition by like businesses, they can't add charges to the price of their product, they have to eat them in order to stay competitive. Since power companies have a captive audiences, so to speak, they don't have competition. Our PSC should have told them to eat their gamble as well.
You have nailed the problem down solid.
And, although I believe in free enterprise, I also feel(that Liberal 'feel' again) that when you have a company with no competition, regulated by a limp wristed political gang called a PSC, you do not have free enterprise or any of the benefits thereof.
It is a better situation for the government to own and operate a utility, then to let this bullshit go on and then blame free enterprise for the mess.
Yes, I know, then the government can cram windmills and solar panels down our throats.....but wait, they are doing it anyway, and forcing us to pay for this experiment in green appeasement.

There is a time and a place, when our institutions have failed to provide us with the basics we need to function, to then remove them from their jobs.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 PM

Unhappy Electric cost

Your power is almost free. Where I live in California they have a minimum of three tiers for pricing. The basic tier 1 is only 524 kwhrs At .16700 cents per one kilowatt hour. Then we jump up to .19824 cents per one kilowatt hour. Then we go to .25200 cents per kilowatt hour. Now the good part there are seven additional charges to add on. The cost for the electric is never the same from month to month the cents per kilowatt hour is constantly changing. Here we have the same BS the power company charges you extra to fix their mistakes. The CPUC is nothing but a rubber stamp for the monopoly power company. The power company wants more money they just get it by CPUC.
Rant over
walt
Old 10-09-2016, 07:47 AM

We heck Ironman you have a BR/BO tore down in your shop too. Mine might be tore down a bit deeper than yours. Maybe I'll finally get to work on it this winter after I get the shop insulated.

Don
Old 10-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S View Post
We heck Ironman you have a BR/BO tore down in your shop too. Mine might be tore down a bit deeper than yours. Maybe I'll finally get to work on it this winter after I get the shop insulated.

Don
Well, yes I do. It's a BO.
In that picture it is in the state my dad left it 30+ years ago. Since then the wheels, rad, mag, steering, front axle are off, it was sandblasted and primed and then turned green.
Now I am slowly assembling it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02310.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	136013