Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Anyone that needs a rules list is already persona non grata.
Please forgive me, but I don't follow what you are saying.

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

In diplomacy, the term persona non grata (Latin, plural: personae non gratae), literally meaning "person not appreciated",
Old 12-17-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
In diplomacy, the term persona non grata (Latin, plural: personae non gratae), literally meaning "person not appreciated",
So, maybe I should take my rules list down? Because if people come into my area and I tell them to read the rules list then maybe I am saying that they are not appreciated. I don't want people to get the idea that I don't appreciate them. So, maybe the rules list should go?

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Made From Scratch

Your rules list is fine, and isn't a bad idea if you're going to let others use your shop.

What Mac was trying to say is that anybody who needs to be told the rules, isn't welcome in his shop. He's saying if you don't already know that stuff you aren't qualified to be in there.

What most of these guys are getting at is that they don't consider their shop to be a classroom or a hobby. If they let anyone use their shop at all they have to be qualified individuals that don't require supervision.

If you want to have a more open door policy that is great, maybe you can help some people learn some new skills. Just keep a close eye on things.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Your rules list is fine, and isn't a bad idea if you're going to let others use your shop.

What Mac was trying to say is that anybody who needs to be told the rules, isn't welcome in his shop. He's saying if you don't already know that stuff you aren't qualified to be in there.

What most of these guys are getting at is that they don't consider their shop to be a classroom or a hobby. If they let anyone use their shop at all they have to be qualified individuals that don't require supervision.

If you want to have a more open door policy that is great, maybe you can help some people learn some new skills. Just keep a close eye on things.
Then perhaps I need to re-think my "posted rules policy". I mean, common sense would prevail to those that use my area and my tools. Common sense does say, put the tools back where you found them, use protective equipment, etc....etc.

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Blast this!

I Think I would stay with the rules. People that borrow are usually suspect .Will I get it back and when , in what condition .
Old 12-17-2016, 06:45 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

You can never have enough rules for some people, too. I can just see some people wondering how they got hurt when they "followed all the rules."

I'm not trying to dog your rules. Just saying why I don't have them. I hope they work well for the people that have access to your shop.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:24 PM

My 3 most basic rules:

- no smoking
- do not set your beer on my welding machines, machinery or cars
- do not put greasy tools back in my toolbox. If you can't clean them properly leave them in a pile on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Id like to share a lesson learned.

Ive figured out over the years, that loaning anything is a bad idea.

Now I like to think of my self as a generous person, whose cup flows over from time to time, and I should share my good luck with others. That shit has not worked out, so I try not to loan anything to anyone, I wont even consider the shop, but I have a tool collection, that is breathtaking, so t heir is constant pressure " to borrow " by some.

That said, there have been people in my life that over the years have given me the shirt off their back, when they saw I needed it. ( Ive face planted twice ).

So I will loan stuff out, but only to those that are like minded, and more specifically the borrower is now required to have the monetary means to repair or replace what ever they borrowed in the event the lose it or screw it up, and the moral compass to do so, without me prompting them. Boy does that narrow the list down in a fucking hurry.

Last edited by Windy_Acres; 12-18-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

My only visitors are a couple close friends and the kids. LadyD rarely even ventures past the gate anymore so that isn't a concern.

The kids have two rules: put on your glasses and turn off your phone.

Anyone else that gets back in that hole either has their own shop, has their own tools, or has had them in the past. They're back there usually because I need or want them back there, not because they've asked. It's because I've offered to help them, or because they've offered to help me.

If someone is paying me to do something, they're generally not welcome. I'm not much for trading money. When I do, I'm of the opinion that you respect my skills enough to offer and that you should understand that I don't like an audience. All too often I get told how 'great' I am, or how 'wonderful' I do a job. If I choose to teach someone else how to do it, the mystery dissolves. If I show a customer how easily I accomplish their task, they tend to get pissy and decide I'm overcharging.

www.nfpd.us