Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Default Ice Sled Saw

Anyone ever hear of this?

A buddy at work has approached me on making him one. Simple and straight forward, and used to cut slabs in ice for sturgeon spearing.

I ask the crowd three questions.

1) in this picture the drive is clearly a pulley form the motor and a v-belt to the pulley on shaft. I will incorporate this, and the slant of the saw is a requirement. Is it acceptable to run a belt like that with good results?

2) I believe a 42" bar will be used with a dull chain to go through the ice, Any idea what chain speed should or shouldn't be when I'm looking at pulley ratios and engine RPM?

3) Ideas on how to attach a sprocket for the chain and not have it jump off regularly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ice Sled Saw.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	137422  

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Auction Addict

Looks like the belt should fine. I would use a chain saw sprocket just like the chainsaws have. Just make sure you match the sprocket to the chain pitch.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

+1
And you should use a sharp chain.
And the belt will be fine run at up to 180 degrees from the drive pulley. Running at 180 degrees is how we used to put reverse on go-carts by tightening the belt.
I can't see that twist being an issue. It is best to have both pulleys in the same plane, that plane is the pivot point of the angle change.

Now that is a piss poor explanation of what I am saying, but you don't want to twist and dogtrack at the same time for longer belt life.

Chain speed-- as fast as you can go. I used a chainsaw for testing ice road thickness many times. If you can't find water with a 24" bar bring on the truck.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:33 AM
Elite Member

1) in this picture the drive is clearly a pulley form the motor and a v-belt to the pulley on shaft. I will incorporate this, and the slant of the saw is a requirement. Is it acceptable to run a belt like that with good results?

Why does the drive axle need to be slanted?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

water and ice flying all over the place and a "belt will be fine"...?

Me thinks not.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Me thinks not.
With proper design and build, a drive belt may work just fine... video.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Looks like the belt should fine. I would use a chain saw sprocket just like the chainsaws have. Just make sure you match the sprocket to the chain pitch.
Yea I would get a matching one for the chain and bar, I guess I was thinking more a long the lines of how to attach the little fella to a larger axle than normal for it, and then I feel normal saws that it has a method of retaining the chain on the sprocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
+1
And you should use a sharp chain.
And the belt will be fine run at up to 180 degrees from the drive pulley. Running at 180 degrees is how we used to put reverse on go-carts by tightening the belt.
I can't see that twist being an issue. It is best to have both pulleys in the same plane, that plane is the pivot point of the angle change.

Now that is a piss poor explanation of what I am saying, but you don't want to twist and dogtrack at the same time for longer belt life.

Chain speed-- as fast as you can go. I used a chainsaw for testing ice road thickness many times. If you can't find water with a 24" bar bring on the truck.
I get what your putting down, and like the speed comment. Another thing that I was told about this application is that the DNR of course doesn't like traditional bar oil, and most of these have a modified white grease system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
[I]

Why does the drive axle need to be slanted?
They cut a frustum into the ice (1/3 bottom of a pyramid)(See picture) so that they can see further under the ice.

Quote:

Me thinks not.
Interestingly the guy that showed me this concept watched that video that was posted, and told me that they aren't smart. he demonstrated to me how he would tilt saw down and then he push cuts, so a lot less of the ice and water gets to the mechanicals. That being said it is typical for things to freeze. There are people on the ice that specialize in fixing things as this event (Sturgeon spearing) is about 10,000 people in a weekend on the ice up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruncSquarePyramid_600.gif
Views:	66
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	137428  

My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Water works well as a coolant and lubricant, and really there is very little water "flying around" because saw chains really suck at pumping water. If they were any good we would be using them for that.
The shroud on the one in the picture will be fine for directing the chips down onto the ice.

Anybody wanting to test this can easily use a chainsaw to cut some ice and see what I mean.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Water works well as a coolant and lubricant, and really there is very little water "flying around" because saw chains really suck at pumping water. If they were any good we would be using them for that.
The shroud on the one in the picture will be fine for directing the chips down onto the ice.

Anybody wanting to test this can easily use a chainsaw to cut some ice and see what I mean.
I use a chainsaw all the time, and for all my looking, have yet to see a v-belt.

Why not a go-kart set-up with a centrifugal clutch and roller chain ?

Same as the older single stage snowblowers as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I use a chainsaw all the time, and for all my looking, have yet to see a v-belt.

Why not a go-kart set-up with a centrifugal clutch and roller chain ?

Same as the older single stage snowblowers as well.
I understand chains dont work well with difference of pulley angles.

My YouTube Channel