Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Coin ring

This may go here as there is no section for mangling metal. About a year and a half ago my youngest son came to the shop and wanted me to make a ring for him from a Canadian Silver dollar.
What? what are you talking about? Simple, he says. You drill a hole in it and use a ball bearing to turn it inside out and it makes a ring.... So I get my drill and said what size hole? I don't know, about half an inch. Are you sure?
I very reluctantly drilled a hole in the center of a dollar and then fished out a large ball bearing and went over to the 40 ton press.

I really mangled and contorted and eventually split the bloody thing. He shrugged and gave me the other dollar he had. And that was that.

So I started thinking, as i know he doesn't do drugs, how in hell he got a idea like that, and I wanted to find out and make him a ring. I went looking on the net.
What I found was that there is a whole lot of machining involved.
I had some 4 ft of real nice turned and ground 2-7/16" stock wasting away and thought it was hard enough to leave a nice finish and I made up a couple of these cones, and a punch because drilling a dollar is not as easy as it looks.
First pic is a 12 degree cone, and flipped over I did a 15 degree cone on the backside.
Then there is a punch made of the same stuff with a punch made out of a shock absorber rod, and different sized cap and replaceable dies so I can punch different sizes. Basically the bigger the hole the narrower the ring.
So I took the dollar and put it in the punch holder and the press went poink and there was a hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02485.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	138092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02484.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	138093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02481.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	138094  
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:42 PM

I have practiced on a silver Liberdad coin from Mexico so I know this is supposed to work. I heat this thing up to red and dunk it in water and then try to form it. Man this thing is as tough as steel.....waaiit a minute. Got me a magnet and it sure is a real rare type of magnetic silver the Canucks use in their silver dollars.
Now I know dunking it in water is ok for non-ferous metal, but that hardens steel. So I heated and let it cool on the brick.
I still had to use the 40 ton to turn that coin inside out. The arbor press could not touch it. And I annealed every step cause it will work harden fast.

Picture one is after folding it into the cone with a ball bearing. Pic 2 is where I stopped tonight, as I have to find out how big his finger is before I stretch it more.

It is a very pleasant and easy task with real silver or copper. Here is the real deal from Mexico in #3 and 4. And here is a ring I made for me, from a 1/2 ounce Liberdad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02482.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	138095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02486.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	138096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02487.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	138097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02488.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	138098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02490.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	138099  

It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Elite Member

Nice. Who knew being a jeweler needs machining knowledge. Lol. Always good to learn a new trade.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Elite Member

Back in the 40's - 50's the ring from a coin (in the US) was a silver quarter .
The coin was held vertical and tapped with a spoon round and round for ever till the width and the diameter was right and the center then cut out. (not sure exactly how that was done as I never did it) . That way the info was on the inside of the ring.
...lew...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

That is really cool. Get some more practice in and I can send a $20 dollar silver dollar from US! Fine silver, or so they say.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Master Procrastinator

Check YouTube, there are several different methods of making rings from coins.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Did some more research and I found a place listing metal values in Canuck currency. Silver was removed from all coinage in 1967 and 1968 (50% silver).
Pre 1967 silver dollar has $11 worth of metal in it, 1968 and up has 16 cents worth.

I called up my kid and he has one 1966 dollar, so I think I may scrap the steel ring and work with the real thing...stay tuned.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Auction Addict

How many hours did it take to make the ones you did?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 02-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Master Procrastinator

Gerry, the Mexican silver ring you made looks very nice. If anyone is interested in .999 American silver, here's a half oz. coin that would make a dandy. I may order 10 and give it a try myself.
http://www.jmbullion.com/1-2-oz-walk...-silver-round/
Old 02-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
How many hours did it take to make the ones you did?
It took a day worth of machining and fixing my mistakes.
The actual work is about an hour. It is very important to have the hole dead center and to keep the coin from tilting when you are turning it over. Otherwise the thing will be misshapen, and it is a bastard to straighten out.

I have never worn rings, but as I have no other one to torture, I made it my size and then found that with my paws it is uncomfortable when I close a fist, but it almost fit, just a little loose on the baby finger so I put it in the cone and pushed it in and shrunk it a bit, and it is fine on the little finger.
A size 12....I did spend 15 bucks on a ring sizing thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
Gerry, the Mexican silver ring you made looks very nice. If anyone is interested in .999 American silver, here's a half oz. coin that would make a dandy. I may order 10 and give it a try myself.
http://www.jmbullion.com/1-2-oz-walk...-silver-round/
The walking liberty is a popular coin for this. I have a Gadson coin in copper and one in silver. I want to try a copper ring with the 'don't tread on me' facing out.

I went to town to a jewelry and rock polisher place, to get a chemical to blacken silver and I was thoroughly ignored and when I asked, they said, "oh. over in the corner if we have any...."
That don't give a shit attitude is why eBay prospers. I ordered it from there.

The trend from coin mints around the world is to put an end to great art, and have no high profile coins. The Polish mint has some real neat ones. Here is another example of great coin art.

Last edited by Ironman; 02-27-2017 at 04:31 PM.