Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default My Shop and my shame

For the last 20 years or so, I've done nothing more than buy machines and tools and parts for projects as the ideas found here at SFT are put on the shelf until time allows for the build.

That said, sigh, I have 30' of shelving in the machine room that is right at 36" deep and full. An ass load of parts and pieces bought from all over the www including dabay and surplus center and a few 100 other places I'm sure by now.

The garage for the house has another 40' of double shelving 2' deep and is chock full of what used to be sitting on the floor and of course, the same assortment of parts and pieces for projects and assorted supplies.

The pump shed has another 20' of shelving 4' deep and would anyone care to guess what it contains? You got it, more parts and pieces bought and stored.

I was looking over things a few hours ago and realized that something needs to be done.

So, to keep things in the current perspective, I've allowed myself to think that the fix is..............................to make more shelves.

I'm also in process of cataloging and naming each shelf and portions of each shelf to allow a specific spot to give for each box and what each contains.

I was thinking about rebuilding a governor assy for my oldest SA tractor and while pulling down a box marked Farmall, found a new rebuilt governor sitting in the box. The box behind it had a complete grouping of parts and gaskets to rebuild another. I found two new steering wheels, a set of front rims, rebuilt steering box and another box containing parts to rebuild another.

Sigh........................I'm currently looking for a set of pistons, rods, crank, rebuilt heads and rebuild major gasket and bearing set for my 69 426 Hemi build that has been sitting waiting on me having time. I think those parts are covered in my old BR at the farm covered with a blanket being used as a table. said sheepishly.

It's shameful to a major degree, even more so due to my not remembering where most of it is, nor remembering what's there to begin with.

I'm sure no one else has any of these problems as I'm sure it's my personal shame.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
I'm sure no one else has any of these problems as I'm sure it's my personal shame.
You had a good story with humor until that statement LW.

You have a medical condition called Al Sheimers Storage Syndrome and we all suffer from it. It was named after a Jewish guy who could never remember why he bought things.

Shelving just causes inflammation of the Syndrome because the empty shelves keep reminding the sufferer to fill them up.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Like you, I was put on this earth to accomplish a specific list of things.

Like you, I'm so far behind that I can never die.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 PM

What are these "shelves" that you speak of? . I seem to have the same disease. My self diagnosed cure was to purchase a 40 ft shipping container and I'm also in the process of adding a 14 X 40 addition to my shop. That beats actually trying to sort and dispose of anything.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

I added a 12' x 40' leanto on the side of my pole barn in order to get some working space myself last summer. Was the first time I actually drove thru my pole barn in ten years I think. Some day I plan on organizing my five school buses full of stuff. Maybe when I build my wood shop, I will get a little more storage space.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 PM
Auction Addict

LW, sounds like you are a lot like the rest of us. No shame for what we do, unless you ask my wife!!!!

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Sigh.

Hi I'm Neal and I have a problem.

Group "Hi Neal."

I am pretty proud of the new to me racks I set up in the shop. Didn't take anytime to fill them then start stacking on the floor. Sigh Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0950.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	138118

I have no formal training. I did read about it on the net though......
Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Elite Member

I see lots of empty space above those shelves. Photos tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 AM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
I see lots of empty space above those shelves. Photos tomorrow.

The shelves have been up maybe 8 weeks. I have an old building that was abandoned because it was overgrown with "treasure"

The pain is real. I've tried very hard to not clutter up the new shop. Out of a 44'x30' there is always room to pull in a pickup. Not a lot more but enough.

I have no formal training. I did read about it on the net though......
Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I bought one of those 20 piece small-parts boxes from HF yesterday for $6 after coupon. Filled it almost instantly. Threw away 9 fake tupperware bowls, 20-something ziplocs, and three more large cardboard boxes. Now the trashcans are all full. I can't get past all the crap in the floor to get out the back door to dump them.

I sure don't have enough space to build a shelf.

www.nfpd.us