Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Voice of Experience

Jef...remember the line in a song..."ain't it funny how time slips away"....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Master Procrastinator

There is a boatload more shame connected to empty shelves than full shelves. Empty shelves are a waste of time & space.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks guys; I now know I'm still INSANE, but at least I'm in good COMPANY ...Steve
Old 02-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Da Chief

Honestly, I don't see what you are concerned about, I just started bringing stuff home 14,000 lbs at a time...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

I guess we all share some of my personal shame considering out and out Whoreding.

I've racked my head more than a few thousand times as to how to clean up, separate and make things more suitable to actually do some work. The problem is I have more tooling and those added items that support the big systems etc and then the small tools that support that and even smaller tools to support all of it.

Add those things that are just plain nice to have, nice to look at, nice to collect and always seem to be conversation starters, well, space becomes a problem.

I can be in the midst of a small wood type job, just minor wood working and feel that it's necessary to save bits and pieces of scrap wood for future needs as that need arises. You know, making shims, stops, leveling something when mocking up to weld etc etc etc.

I've got a 2 horse and a 4 horse trailer packed front to back, floor to ceiling with all matter of goodies, given to, bought, or inherited.

There has to be sunshine somewhere in all of this mess.

It really is a bother to be so unkempt in the shop. Personally I honestly find it embarrassing which is one reason I'm apt to not take pictures when pictures could be of benefit.

I've made lite of the situation by posting as I have, but man I'm serious as hell, it worries me to no end.

Years ago I had a nice little computer app that allowed me to have pictures of, info on including where bought, how much and warranty info's. Well that went tits up within 2 years and as life has taught me, none of my current computers will run that old app/program. sigh.

I do hope and pray that once I have this apt emptied and all moved to the farm including myself that just maybe I will get control of this mess in a good and adult manner.

Just imagine that if all of the 'active members' each had all of their stuff in and outside of their shops etc brought to Lake Chuck and placed in portions of one of the aircraft hangers here, we could fill that sucker up barely able to walk around freely. A hanger large enough to hold 6 Boeing 707's comfortably. I have no doubt on this

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Jef...remember the line in a song..."ain't it funny how time slips away"....
Dammit man, really???????? I've got another B'day coming up on the 10th and will be taking off a week if allowed. It's hard to carry, pickup, place, put away and sort walking with a cane. sigh.

Of course, I should not whine as we had a Member that did all of his work from a wheel chair. I should feel blessed considering my overall health and I am and do feel so.

Thanks all for the input on this as for me it's serious enough to keep me awake thinking of outs and fixes.

Now if I could just figure out what and how to store all of my assorted steel and metals in and around the shop would be a big start on opening up space. I refuse to scrap 2' pieces of anything like angles or flats etc. and that my friends is the start of the problems.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Simple solution, get lots of pallet racking. I have found that making a pallet for stuff and putting it in its place is great! I have a pallet stacker(think manual forklift) that lifts 1500lbs and reaches up to 10ft. it has helped tremendously in organization.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I refuse to scrap 2' pieces of anything like angles or flats etc. and that my friends is the start of the problems.
I used to go to a commercial shop to beg or buy a small piece of something, and they often said to me "we just did a shop cleanup and threw it all in the scrap" I wold go away pissed off and thinking, There oughta be a Law!!

I to refused to throw anything away, until I was overwhelmed, and had to fill barrels of good savings and haul to the scrap. I now produce 1-2 thousand pounds of scrap from my shop a year, depending on ambition.
It is not thrown away, it is recycled. The barrels sit outside for a year or so, and I have only gone to the barrel storage 3 times since I started this to retrieve a special piece.

Wood pieces would hit the stove, and be recycled into heat as that stuff is too cheap. Small thin pieces of steel hit the barrel as do the ironworker trimmings. Small pieces of 3/8 or thicker material goes into a special pile as those treasures make more money then owning a full sheet of it does.
Anybody can pay $425 for a sheet of 1/2", but try to buy a square foot. A customer happily pays 50 bucks for a square foot of it from my special pile.

LW, as a suggestion, hire a student to assist you in sorting and storing. It will also clarify the mind as to what value this stuff has when you are paying someone to sort and rack it up. You can stand back and make notes so you can know where the left hand widgets are stored.
Because an old man with a cane can trip and fall over 10 cents of scrap and get hurt, and I don't want that.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Elite Member

Here's my new hi rise shelving. Built primarily for fuel pellets. The lift maxes at 400 lbs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	138131

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
LW, as a suggestion, hire a student to assist you in sorting and storing. It will also clarify the mind as to what value this stuff has when you are paying someone to sort and rack it up. You can stand back and make notes so you can know where the left hand widgets are stored.
Because an old man with a cane can trip and fall over 10 cents of scrap and get hurt, and I don't want that.
+1 on this... ^^^^ Having a younger lad with strong back and simple mind can be an asset to you as you direct the organization of your assets. But having someone inexperienced in the art of "sorting" can pose its own set of problems creating frustration. A willing blank slate to convey your wishes to could help if they are not overly supervised... Get your plan in place, first.

I've gone through metal scraps more than once, culling anything under 6" or so that will not easily fit in the saw to be cut. Even so, I can cut down to 1" with holding fixtures I've devised so there is very little waste when I cut a stick. I mainly deal with aluminum so it is easier to store/move. When I need small pieces of steel stock that I don't have in the scrap pile, it is housed at a job shop I've done business with for decades and they charge me their going rate for this convenience. If I need sticks for a project, another shop will deliver them to me at a lesser rate but the sticks have to be full length.

A few months back I got rid of some racks and a bunch of steel stock that was getting in the way. Mostly small flats and weird sizes or big stuff I would never use. The buyer's crew came in after hours and removed everything that was agreed to (under my supervision, of course). Made a good penny on it and I have yet to miss anything... My only issue is the glaring bare wall that will now need to be filled in.

I do not save/collect steel/iron scrap. It is mainly a real estate issue as in I don't have the room. I also don't have a need to get an achy back moving it when the time comes to scrap. There are enough scrappers around that heavies will disappear quite quickly. The last time I scrapped, it barely paid for my fuel.

One time I helped a "buddy" out by scrapping some engines with him so he could have a few bucks. We heaved and hoed 3 complete engines from a few different locations into the bed of my pickup truck and went to the scrappers. I think we got around $40 for the load and $10 went into the tank leaving $15/each. I lost an Ancra tie down so that pretty much ate up MY profit... And more than once I've damaged a tire in the scrap yard...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...