Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Tim KS's Avatar
Tim KS Tim KS is offline
Master Procrastinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SC KS
Posts: 3,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post

And more than once I've damaged a tire in the scrap yard...
I refuse to go to the scrap yard for this reason alone. I've ruined more than one $200+ tires on my dump truck in those 'minefields'. In addition to that one reason, scrapping doesn't pay much unless you're dealing in "tons" of material.

After I retired I needed to clean out my shed (still working on that too), so I know a full-time scrapper that stops and picks up my 'junk' that is thrown in a couple of fiberglass barrels outside.....giving it away is cheaper than buying tires.
__________________
We are all given many opportunities in life to keep our mouth shut.....we should take advantage of as many of those opportunities that we can.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is online now
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 17,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
For the last 20 years or so, I've done nothing more than buy machines and tools and parts for projects as the ideas found here at SFT are put on the shelf until time allows for the build.
Jef,

You are in good company here at SFT.

Ron
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Windy_Acres's Avatar
Windy_Acres Windy_Acres is offline
Chairman of the Headboard
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 5,633
Default

Ive found out in a round about way that hoarding, or some form of OCD CAN be from a vitamin/mineral imbalance.

I have CHRONIC food allergies/intolerance's, which has brought about a shit load of blood work.

Found out, Im genetically predisposed to NOT methtlating I think its B6 and B12.

So for a couple years, Ive been on a methylated B supplement.

Reason I mention this, I used to hoard at some level, and now I cant get rid of shit fast enough. An auction has run through my mind, to the point I called an auctioneer as asked him to come out and look at my mess.

So if anyone is not in love with the problem to the point they want to do something about it, take a look at your diet, BTW, B vitamins are vital for proper brain function.

Every week, my dumpster is overfull, and Im packing and shipping shit sold on ebay like a mad man.

And yes, Im finding all kinds of shit, I didnt know I had, where It came from or why. Close to 8000sqft of shit floor loaded and pallet racked/shelved.

Ive even rolled back going to auctions, maybe 1 in 10 that I used to attend.

I took some pics the other day, that is just a partial snap shot. There are several more buildings, another shop, office, shit outside,,...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	138140   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	138141   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	138142   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	138143   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	138144  

__________________
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:09 PM
midmosandblasting's Avatar
midmosandblasting midmosandblasting is offline
Blast this!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calhoun ,Mo
Posts: 7,314
Default

And you keep talking of moving ?Yep see it in the future Windy moves and has to buy 3 semis .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is online now
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 17,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Reason I mention this, I used to hoard at some level, and now I cant get rid of
shit fast enough. An auction has run through my mind, to the point I called an
auctioneer as asked him to come out and look at my mess.
Call me before you call the auctioneer, let me get first pick...
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is online now
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 17,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
And you keep talking of moving ?Yep see it in the future Windy moves and has to buy 3 semis .
Bwhaaaaaa, 3? fuck that would not make a noticeable dent.

30 would be a low estimate. You really need to come to the GTG.
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM
SmokinDodge's Avatar
SmokinDodge SmokinDodge is offline
SFT Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
And you keep talking of moving ?Yep see it in the future Windy moves and has to buy 3 semis .


Three might move one of the small buildings. MIGHT.

Bill has got most beat on the hoarding game. Crazy part is it's all good viable stuff. Most the crap I drag home is worn out/outdated/broken.



If anyone around Missouri (midmo timks) wants to ride with me to the GTG gimme a shout. The last guy I could carpool with turned out to be a flash in the pan......


I have no formal training. I did read about it on the net though......
__________________
The guy that said money can't buy happiness never bought a tank of fuel for a turbo diesel.............
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Gazza's Avatar
Gazza Gazza is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Ive found out in a round about way that hoarding, or some form of OCD CAN be from a vitamin/mineral imbalance.

I have CHRONIC food allergies/intolerance's, which has brought about a shit load of blood work.

Found out, Im genetically predisposed to NOT methtlating I think its B6 and B12.

So for a couple years, Ive been on a methylated B supplement.

Reason I mention this, I used to hoard at some level, and now I cant get rid of shit fast enough. An auction has run through my mind, to the point I called an auctioneer as asked him to come out and look at my mess.

So if anyone is not in love with the problem to the point they want to do something about it, take a look at your diet, BTW, B vitamins are vital for proper brain function.

Every week, my dumpster is overfull, and Im packing and shipping shit sold on ebay like a mad man.

And yes, Im finding all kinds of shit, I didnt know I had, where It came from or why. Close to 8000sqft of shit floor loaded and pallet racked/shelved.

Ive even rolled back going to auctions, maybe 1 in 10 that I used to attend.

I took some pics the other day, that is just a partial snap shot. There are several more buildings, another shop, office, shit outside,,...
Looking thru your pictures I would not call that hoarding, all organised/stacked and mostly inventory for future use, you can even find it when you need too.

On another note not meaning to hijack the thread but your comment on food allergies/intolerance's my 33 year old daughter has been diagnosed by a naturopath as having MTHFR http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...enetic-defect/which is a missing gene. Her system cannot process vitamin B the way it needs too which leads to other issues as some foods and medications dont work correctly. It is hereditary so she has it because one of us has it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Windy_Acres's Avatar
Windy_Acres Windy_Acres is offline
Chairman of the Headboard
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 5,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza View Post

On another note not meaning to hijack the thread but your comment on food allergies/intolerance's my 33 year old daughter has been diagnosed by a naturopath as having MTHFR http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...enetic-defect/which is a missing gene. Her system cannot process vitamin B the way it needs too which leads to other issues as some foods and medications dont work correctly. It is hereditary so she has it because one of us has it.
Oh, its a mess ! Id like to find the entire floor, LOL !

I inherited my " B " problem from my father... Im lucky to have found it, the long term damage from that problem can be crippling.
__________________
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars, Oak tree you're in my way....
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 PM
gimpyrobb's Avatar
gimpyrobb gimpyrobb is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cincy Oh
Posts: 1,588
Default

Windy, I'll help you out. If you have any good 235/85r16s, shoot me a price!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.