Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Gold Star Dad

Western Mass Craigslist has a Lincoln 225 for $75. Can't be tested as the guy has no 240V outlet.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

You might look around for an adult ed class, usually taught at a local high school. They will have various machines to use, so you can get a grasp, as to what might be most appropriate for your needs/wants.

An adult ed class got me started a few decades ago, and was the basis for a life-long hobby that is more useful and rewarding, today, than it was when I first held a stinger in the 70's.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Gadget Girl

Western Mass is a large area.. Pinpoint the area more might give a better perspective..

I mean Blanford vs Florida or Williamstown etc, etc.. In central Mass.. there are 2 schools offering night classes and they are both within 40 minutes drive..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
but are only interested in it as a hobby..
Everything you need to read and learn about welding is on the www.

Everything you need to see about welding can be found on the www on sites like you tube.

Every conceivable question you could have about welding or the equipment needed can be answered right here at this site.

From setting up any welding machine, the rods needed, or wire needed or gases needed etc etc, for the most part are already part of the SFT archives.

Along with a dozen other welding sites across the www.

It is all left up to you to do a little work to get to a certain point. Running beads will actually help you to learn how to run decent beads.

Caring about what your learning will do the most good over the amount of money you spend on the machines.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM

There are some great tutorials on youtube, where you can see the process in real time. For a beginner that is probably the best choice.

If you are more interested in more in-depth and academic information there are plenty of professional welders out there and a lot of blogs that can help you and your brother start welding
Old 06-30-2017, 01:24 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Eons ago, the dinosaurs welded with SMAW (stick). Then GMAW (MIG) was invented and perfected so everyone could own one... I'm just busting the old-timer's jewels above and I don't disagree with them at all.
My thoughts are the same. Stick welding is old school and while there are places where it's a necessary or required process the average hobby welder can get along fine without it. My brother and I have made a living with a welding/fabricating/machining shop for the last 40+ years and I'll bet that in the last 20 years or so we haven't burned 10 lbs. of stick between the two of us. For a small home shop mig is all you'll ever need for most things and it is much easier to learn.

I'm not saying that stick isn't a useful tool to have in the box but once you've perfected the mig process it will be easy to add stick welding skills if the need arises.

Quote:
...But I do think you should learn the science and theory behind a skill first, and a good place to start is HERE. You should be able to spend a few hours learning the basics there and answer a lot of your own questions. I'm sure Lincoln and others have similar resources.
Good advice for sure...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
I'm not saying that stick isn't a useful tool to have in the box but once you've perfected the mig process it will be easy to add stick welding skills if the need arises.
I picked up a stinger the other day--it had been at least 5 years since. Guy a few doors down from my shop needed a motor base welded into an "off-road" golfcart. "Why do you need me? You got a Tombstone right there!" (me pointing at the Lincoln) "I suck at welding! All I'm getting are snots!" "Well, practice makes better! Get yourself some scrap metal and practice!"

So rather than drag the MIG and tank over from my shop, I opted to use his stick welder. He had it set too low on amps so I bumped it up a few clicks then backed it down one click as the 3/32" he had was simply evaporating. The welds were more than acceptable for me and survived a sledge hammer test.

I think a lot of the skill of welding is being able to recognize metal changing states. In other words, the ability to see the "puddle", add to it if necessary and allow the fusion of the two pieces as they become solid again...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Eons ago, the dinosaurs welded with SMAW (stick).

WTF!! WTF!! I'm a platypus, not gawd damn dinosaur!!.........
Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Something's Fishy ...

There is an ac welder up at the fish camp. It is designed for 240 VAC input but we have 208 VAC.
Every time I use it I vow to bring in my own inverter machine The 175 A setting is not enough for 3/32 stainless rod and 200 is way to much plus the low oc voltage makes every rod want to stick.
The only way to get a semi reasonable weld is to strike on a non important location then when the rod is warm and the puddle established move to the weldment and hope for the best.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
...The only way to get a semi reasonable weld is to strike on a non important location then when the rod is warm and the puddle established move to the weldment and hope for the best...
It would help if you knew how to weld...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?