Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

Default ER-1188 wire

Ok, I know its for aluminum and thats about it. There is some coming up on an auction site I frequent and I'm thinking about bidding. Anyone know what its "supposed" to be used with? I've heard of the 40xx series wire and the 51xx wire but not the 1188.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Ok, I know its for aluminum and thats about it. There is some coming up on an auction site I frequent and I'm thinking about bidding. Anyone know what its "supposed" to be used with? I've heard of the 40xx series wire and the 51xx wire but not the 1188.
Here is a weld data sheet for ER 188. Seems to have a low tensile strength, but you can use it for gas welding.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf a1188tds(1).pdf (120.4 KB, 26 views)

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 AM
Lord of the Minions

I've got several small spools of the ER-1188 wire and rod of a few different dias. (but I think I'd like more) I keep in the spare bedroom with all of my extra spendy filler metals.

Personally I use it for gas welding and TIG work on softer alloys like small scale model toys, restoring train sets, bling for special projects. With what little I know of such things, I think it's a great filler for gas especially. The local LWS guru gave me some a good 30 years back and I've used it since for gas the most.

I've used it on a few magnalite etc pots etc that were broken or cracked with good lasting results.

I don't know how much your thinking about buying, but I would consider getting several lbs should you do so. Put me on the list GRob.

I do know that it takes anodizing really well for covers.

Hiway

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 03-30-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Gold Star Dad

1188 seems to be a fairly pure aluminum. Sometimes used for certain corrosive conditions. Also for good color match when anodizing.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ls...filler&f=false
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filler.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	138593  
Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Elite Member

The auction has 16 rolls of 25lbs. It looks like wire feed stuff thats on a spool, but its 1/8th inch wire. I have my eye on it, will advise if I get it.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Lord of the Minions

G'Robb, I double checked at work and yep, we stock it in the Back Shop.

Keep 2 rolls on hand and it's right at 1/8" dia. Here's the kicker, they use it to tie up parts for dipping, painting and blasting. sigh

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Elite Member

Well I should have known, everyone has their tax returns and are spending money like a rapper with a hit record.

No cheap auctions this round!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM
trust but verify

Quote:
I monitor and attend liquidation auctions where the pros buy to outfit their shops and businesses. Self and friends outfit our shops for cheap and auctions are a fine way to do that.

The Recession is over for the Southeast at least. Prices for consumables used machinery are rising. AuctionZip and Bidspotter are good ways to stay informed, but everyone else watches those too. We look for live auctions of small shops and estate sales, especially when there are bigger auctions nearby.

We prefer auctions with firearms because other bidders get gunlust and don't compete for what we want. We split up for auctions with more than one auctioneer (not as common) and do pretty well.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:11 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Well I should have known
G'Robb, you've done well in the past with things I could use. I'm good as long as I know you had fun. lol

Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Well I should have known, everyone has their tax returns and are spending money like a rapper with a hit record.

Remember what the 200# of wire went for?

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain