Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 03-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Gadget Girl

Default skinner Knife

I had planned on doing a "How to make a skinner knife" for Youtube..

I grabbed a coil spring and unwound it, cut a piece off forged the knife to right around 95% was getting ready to finish it and wouldn't you know it..

I got bit... Bit by the mystery steel bugger.. It is air hardening steel..

I was going to film filing it and finishing it.. ideally it should have taken another 15minutes once it was forged..

A file wouldn't even touch it.. So I had to get it just right on the temper to lose all the hardness..

Ended up being nearly 2 hours with the sand paper and file backer before I finally went in and put the little belt grinder to scrape off all the scale and such.. Once cleaned it up on the grinder, then once softened I went back to filing it and then sand paper backer.. For finish I went for the scotch brite..

It's a cute little skinner.. And it's all ready been christen..

The air hardening steel really through ((threw) found another one Buddy) a wrench in the works.. Was bummed..

Anyhow, Here is a picture or 2 and I'll post the video once I get it done.. It will have gaps in the footage but you guys won't mind to much right???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_140347.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	138599   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_141502.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	138600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_143329.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	138601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_190102.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	138602  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 03-31-2017 at 09:51 AM. Reason: fixed grammar..
Old 03-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post

A file wouldn't even touch it.. So I had to get it just right on the temper to loose all the hardness..

Anyhow, Here is a picture or 2 and I'll post the video once I get it done.. It will have gaps in the footage but you guys won't mind to much right???
No, I wouldn't mind the gaps but what I would hate to see is a video caption where you misused the word "loose" in place of "lose".
"Loose" rhymes with "moose" and means not tight; "lose" sounds like "muse" & means what you intended, to misplace or get rid of.

I'm not picking at you. With our small readership, there are probably not three other people who will ever read this thread & will flinch when they see this. It is probably the most common word error in American English.
But when you post it on You Tube for the world to see, the audience changes.
I just want you to sound as smart as I know you are.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Made From Scratch

Mystery steel can be lots of fun....and disappointment. I haven't come across any air hardening steels that I could heat treat with the forge to much potential, they all seem to like a long soak time and what not. Did you find it was really hard under the hammer?

I'm sure you've worked with O1 before but for those that haven't, its an oil hardening steel and if you give it a dirty look it will just about skate a file. Very easy to harden it (getting optimum performance from it is slightly more technical but it's very forgiving).

O1 will be much too hard to file right after forging so I had to find a way to anneal it. I have had good luck with heating it to non magnetic and then wrapping it in a fold of kaowool for 20 minutes. That has served me well on leaf springs and other odds and ends too.

Surprisingly, I have never used a little palm skinner like that. It looks interesting.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:22 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
No, I wouldn't mind the gaps but what I would hate to see is a video caption where you misused the word "loose" in place of "lose".
"Loose" rhymes with "moose" and means not tight; "lose" sounds like "muse" & means what you intended, to misplace or get rid of.

I'm not picking at you. With our small readership, there are probably not three other people who will ever read this thread & will flinch when they see this. It is probably the most common word error in American English.
Sorry I didn't catch it when I was writing it, just a typo.. You have made me a better word smith.. I am constantly " Then is time vs than..".. and lose or loss vs loose..

by the way People on youtube aren't that smart eiither, and while it is a larger crowd.. I think as a whole people aren't that smart or else the world and/or the USA wouldn't be in such bad shape..

I was amazed how long it took to get that MTB petition signed.. I figured it would fill up in just a day or two..

Since you are my word Dr.. What about using one vs 1 and two vs 2 in a sentence.. I vaguely remember there was a rule about that as well..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 03-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
What about using one vs 1 and two vs 2 in a sentence.. I vaguely remember there was a rule about that as well..
I haven't heard of any rule about that and I use numerals in place of spelling often because I'm lazy. :-)
Unless one is using it to describe a person as in this sentence. :-)
...lew...
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Mystery steel can be lots of fun....and disappointment. I haven't come across any air hardening steels that I could heat treat with the forge to much potential, they all seem to like a long soak time and what not. Did you find it was really hard under the hammer?

I'm sure you've worked with O1 before but for those that haven't, its an oil hardening steel and if you give it a dirty look it will just about skate a file. Very easy to harden it (getting optimum performance from it is slightly more technical but it's very forgiving).

O1 will be much too hard to file right after forging so I had to find a way to anneal it. I have had good luck with heating it to non magnetic and then wrapping it in a fold of kaowool for 20 minutes. That has served me well on leaf springs and other odds and ends too.

Surprisingly, I have never used a little palm skinner like that. It looks interesting.
Excellent info Matt...

It's pretty funny.. I was very surprised by the whole thing.. I figured it would have been an O1 or a W1 type of steel..

I've seen air hardening steel in springs before in mystery steel had some 1/4" and 3/16.. Sadly I could have taken as many as i wanted and only grabbed like 10... There must have been 500 there.. Storage has always been a problem.. What do you to with 500 lanky springs 2-3ft long 10-12" in diameter with no easy way to straighten them???

I usually do a very slow cool on the side of the forge fire, last forge heat.. Just lay it on the side of the forge (coal vs gas).. and in just a few minutes its ready even with O1..

My experience with Air hardening steels in the last few years has grown.. I bought a bar of HSS for some dies for Betzy but then switched over to ball bearing guides so I have this stuff hanging around.. I had read about forging it way back so took some of that knowledge and finally applied it though it is funny stuff to work because of the forging temps..

Do you like O1?

I have never been a fan of oil hardening anything but springs because I hate all the clean up.. I used Automatic trans fluid for awhile as this left a pretty scale free surface vs motor oil but I would water harden just about everything in water.. In fact water was/is my go to.. Or at least it used to be. I miss the days when it was that simple..

It was kind of neat once i had it cleaned, filed and ready for hardening. I just put it spine down in the forge and because the blade is pretty thin 2/3rds of the edge reached temps in short order and once pulled out of the fire it was hardened as soon as it was a very dull red in shade..

Really without a full work up of the material " heat treating multi samples, hardness tests, edge retention tests. break tests.. etc, etc at different heat temps and temper cycles).. It wouldnt be a good sales item and unless all the testing is done I would never sell it.. I would give it away though as a box cutter or skinner if the person hunts..

it is sharp as the dickens and I only did a quick sharpen on the medium diamond stone.. A little time for the new owner might prove excellent..

I woudn't recommend using it as a screw drive though..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 PM

Hi,
I practcally paid for my shop, forging hunting knives for my co-workers in the 90's!

I found an old man that had a 1939 Studebaker truck in his backyard for parts.

I bought both stacks ($5 a piece) of the rear leaf springs!

This should be 5160 steel and I used that heat treat info to start out in my experiments!

I was differental heat quenching using refractory clay mix and it would leave a "hamon" when polished and etched with acid!

I sold them really for a lot less than they were worth but I was having fun and everything went out of the shop!

I'm hoping to get back into knife making when I retire and have time again to devote to it!

All this to say, I would get away from coil springs for knives and try to get a stack of leaf springs from the oldest car or truck you can find and use the 5160 specs to try it out.

Cutting test, bend test, will give you an idea of what is going on!

Here is a young man from Maine that knows what he is doing!

Notice his use of the "peen" of the hammer to "spread" the steel when he wants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVE33nYtksU

Last edited by seagiant; 03-31-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi,
I practcally paid for my shop, forging hunting knives for my co-workers in the 90's!

I found an old man that had a 1939 Studebaker truck in his backyard for parts.

I bought both stacks ($5 a piece) of the rear leaf springs!

This should be 5160 steel and I used that heat treat info to start out in my experiments!

I was differental heat quenching using refractory clay mix and it would leave a "hamon" when polished and etched with acid!

I sold them really for a lot less than they were worth but I was having fun and everything went out of the shop!

I'm hoping to get back into knife making when I retire and have time again to devote to it!

All this to say, I would get away from coil springs for knives and try to get a stack of leaf springs from the oldest car or truck you can find and use the 5160 specs to try it out.

Cutting test, bend test, will give you an idea of what is going on!

Here is a young man from Maine that knows what he is doing!

Notice his use of the "peen" of the hammer to "spread" the steel when he wants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVE33nYtksU
He did a pretty nice job.. Nice to see..

That's awesome.. I started out making knives.. Switched over to the Blacksmithing stuff and then branched out into the Farrier realm..

have any pictures? Start a thread and share them.. The guys and gals on here love knives and stories..

I use which ever steel is handy.. If you go and look for some of the other threads,, There are 3 I think on Hoof knives..

I don't make many knives anymore unless it's for work.. I will be making an Felling ax for one of the video series though..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post

As long as the we're being English nazis', I really have to disagree with 'lose' / 'loose' being the most common error. It could be, but I see the misuse of 'then' & 'than' to be much more prevalent among internet users.

I try to watch my 'our & are', my 'there & their', my 'then & than', 'lose & loose', my 'to & two & too' plus a few others, but I find if I rush through my proof read, I can still make those errors or typos every now and than myself.

Last edited by Tim KS; 03-31-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 PM

Hi,
I belonged to ABANA and FABA my local chapter for years.

There are a lot of top name full time Knifesmiths in Florida.

I would highly recomend The John C. Cambell Folk School....

For anyone interested in ANY facet of Blacksmithing!

Cheap actually for what you get!

https://www.folkschool.org/