Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Power steering on old Farmalls

Over the years I've thought about adding power assist steering on my SA's as these things can be a bear to turn the wheels when in stock config and especially should you add a bit more weight to that front axle with things like brush guards etc etc.

As the main block structure on which the steering box itself, the axle pivot and radiator hang off of or sit on this block, rearranging things is just not doable due to the way it's made.

One thought I had to be able to add a hydraulic pump on the nose of it like a few members have done on their equipment was for me to completely remove everything bolted to the front of my engines block and make a casement to fit my needs.

Doing so would allow for changes in configurations as needed.

It would also give me the ability of having a better fixture for hanging a pump driven by the front crank pulley.

The downside for me hanging a pump there would negate my use of the hand crank for starting during a low battery situation. Although I have not had to do so in 20 years. lol

Looking on datube, I've seen folk using Electric Steering assy's off of Saturn Vue's etc. I think most other small imports are using something like this.

Basically a unit fit just under or before the steering wheel that gives a hydraulic assist while you turn the wheel.

This would best answer my need for power steering, although somewhat bulky as an addition up near the control quadrant of the SA's.

The pic shows something similar to the Saturn assy's but is not one of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Steering.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	138842  

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

Looking on datube, I've seen folk using Electric Steering assy's off of Saturn Vue's etc. I think most other small imports are using something like this.

Well damn! I've been wishing all along that I had rigged some sort of power assist to the forksnatch. The typical garden tractor scheme is really hard to crank when you get 300-400 pounds on that little feller's forks.

Of course, I'm not so sure there's room to fit even that small assembly in there but it is intriguing. I had also wondered if the tractor linkages could stand up to the force of any power assist so that might have to be beefed up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Basically a unit fit just under or before the steering wheel that gives a hydraulic assist while you turn the wheel.
Is that really "hydraulic" assist or is it just a 12 volt gearmotor supplying the grunt?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Standard of Excellence

I take it you have no live power? Alternative to a stinger pump would be a belt PS pump from a chebby or the like, hang it out the side of the motor and use a ram assist from a 67 Chevy pick up, or my boys Ford 67 Mustang has one too.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Is that really "hydraulic" assist or is it just a 12 volt gearmotor supplying the grunt?
Rod, I may have mis-spoke, quoting Killary, looking deeper in my text I see where I did mention hydraulic assist and considering these little units, I do agree with you and see that the gear assy is only motor assisted. Which, is still way cool. lol Rod, you might look at what and the how the lawn mower from hell guys are rigging their units.

I would guess that if one heads to a "pull it yourself" yard, the price of a used assy and control unit prices would drop over what I see on dabay etc. Rod as the current steering and axle on these SA's are rather sturdy and with the beating the front rims and steering take once you hopping over plowed ground, drains etc etc etc, I'd see no other killer once power assisted steering is added. unless I've gotten a rim caught in a rail road track with a train coming my way. lol

Quote:
I take it you have no live power? Alternative to a stinger pump would be a belt PS pump from a chebby or the like, hang it out the side of the motor and use a ram assist from a 67 Chevy pick up, or my boys Ford 67 Mustang has one too.
With the room and factory supplied crank single belt pulley, having the Alt being belted pretty much fills the belted ideas out the window. But I'm working on just that as well............thinking of the addition of a forward mounted hyd pump system etc.

Walker, adding anything to the front tie rods etc for steering would have to take into count of the steering boxes control arm is mounted in between each the left and right tie rods going to each axle wheel tower.

Plus, I'm really not wanting to hang a steering pump up there either. lol

If anyone has seen the front ends of the A, SA or even the Cub series, steering assy's make up a good portion of the beef of what is bolted to the engines front block side. All adding to the heft and strength of the total.

But, I've got ideas boiling in my mind 24/7 these days.

With the addition of the pump on the nose I'll have the option of remote qd to the rear and mid positions which will really update the tractors aged designs.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 04-12-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Elite Member

There are power steering units that fit in the steering column (Shaft in the case of an A). The ones that I usually see are in the steering shaft on a Cat grader. If you have mounted an alternator on the A, a double pulley would allow driving a separate pump mounted below the alternator. I'll see if I can find pictures.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Standard of Excellence

Fwiw, I have had several stinger mounted pumps. Not really a big deal, especially if you use link belts instead of conventional vee belts. There is one on my current Case 530 as well. Plenty of power to run additional accessories as well as power steering, and it is live power, vs clutched power.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:25 AM
Lord of the Minions

I ordered 3 of the 2003ish Vue steering head assy's with 3 wiring additions that I can make work. I've got the SA's and another project that might warrant such help.

Keep the ideas and info coming. It helps greatly.
Quote:
a double pulley would allow driving a separate pump mounted below the alternator. I'll see if I can find pictures.
I can see that working as well.

There is lots of old iron tractors that did not have power steering and are bears to drive or adjust steering unless the dang thing is moving. lol
Thanks for the mention Walker.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I have been looking for a reasonably priced Garrison steering system for my deuce which currently has the air assisted steering. I think true hydraulic is what I'd like. The amount of force on the steering wheel when I take it offroad is amazing. I've even heard of guys breaking their thumbs from the steering wheel whipping around.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I have been looking for a reasonably priced Garrison steering system for my deuce which currently has the air assisted steering. I think true hydraulic is what I'd like. The amount of force on the steering wheel when I take it offroad is amazing. I've even heard of guys breaking their thumbs from the steering wheel whipping around.
That was one thing my dad kept telling me when I was a kid "keep your thumbs out of the spokes" Of coarse I had to learn the hard way but just a sprain, nothing broken. Still today my thumbs are never in the way of the steering wheel spokes.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I dunno HiWay, I don't think you can get cheaper than this?
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.