Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
There are power steering units that fit in the steering column (Shaft in the case of an A). The ones that I usually see are in the steering shaft on a Cat grader. If you have mounted an alternator on the A, a double pulley would allow driving a separate pump mounted below the alternator. I'll see if I can find pictures.
I don't know if they're still around but there used to be CharLynn power steering units that could be added on to farm tractors. I've seen them on Farmall M's, JD A's, 60's, etc.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
CharLynn power steering units that could be added on to farm tractors.
Yup, still sell them. Your steering wheel shaft goes into it and with the use of hydraulic power/fluid at pressure it uses this pressure to help you turn the wheel either direction.

Does the same thing as the electrics, but different fluid/power.

Thanks for the link Gerry. I've got 3 coming as of this morning early.

In stead of going with any kind of power assist, I guess I could have doubled the size of the steering wheel. lol

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I've even heard of guys breaking their thumbs from the steering wheel
Round and round drivers keep their hands on the wheel for a short time only. If there is an object to be hit, they bring their hands to their chests. lol Of course most times the 'hit' happens way before any reaction can be acted on.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Lord of the Minions

I picked up the first arrival of a steering assy from the apt office Monday afternoon.

I've looked at it for a few days now and have decided it won't be much of a stretch to make things fit yet obviously noticeable, but not too garish considering how simple the SA tractors are.

It will take my adding a frame of sorts to hold the lower end of the original steering shaft to the steering box of the tractor, but from the top of that shaft once cut will allow me to affix the ele steering assy just under and affixed to the SA's steering column which also holds the throttle and hyd controls. This will still allow knee room under and around allowing the unit to be placed but without intruding on what room is found underneath for knee's and thighs etc for clutch and brake movements.

It would be nice to make some sort of enclosure for that unit, but outside of a fiberglass enclosure I make, or some spiffy sheet metal boxing of sorts, I may just leave it exposed.

It's not like these tractors ever see weather unless caught in it while heading to the sheds. For the most part I see that the unit could easily be made waterproof at least for rain drops.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

You would think that if its designed to be part of the steering system, it should be fairly environment proof.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
it should be fairly environment proof.
Part of the steering system, but under the dash and not under the hood. lol

The top end actually holds the steering wheel and the lower shaft connects to shafting through the firewall into the eng compartment. So, not so friendly with heat, dirt and water etc etc.

But, I think I can cobb something that will look nice, odd, but nice.

Truthfully if it eases the grunt work of turning the steering wheel with the tractor at a stand still, I'll be happy as a clam.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

I've been watching this for a while and wondering. I can remember mowing with a 6' sickle bar mower on an "A" when I was like 10 and 11 years old. I weighed somewhere between 65 and 75 lbs. I don't remember any problem with the steering. Brakes, yes, I didn't have the weight or leg length to have them hold going backwards. Are all the moving parts free to move? I would have to figure that you have a bit more strength than I had at that time.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Are all the moving parts free to move?
Picking up or jacking the front axle up, you can turn the wheel with your pinky to the left and full to the right. On the ground, nada.

My longest owned has been hard to steer since day one when Dad bought it in 58 or so. At a stop turning the wheel takes both hands and grunt work. Moving things get easier but still tiring working rows at the turn row.

This last SA given has no slack/slop and is tight but again, hard to steer unless moving along.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Lord of the Minions

Well, the cable control harness was in BR last night at 9pm.

So, thinking it might be delivered today or tomorrow. Cannot wait to get it out to the farm and see the steering assy turning the bottom shaft under power.

I still find it hard to believe that the only supplier for this harness is in Portugal. sigh

Old 05-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Lord of the Minions

Everything is now in my hot little hands. Once again I have a few hundred worth of parts in boxes to take out to the farm. sigh More parts and one more several projects.

It never ends does it?