Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

I have often wondered if there are any other welding equipment manufacturers besides Lincoln that make their own MIG wires. Also, I assume that most of the other brands are manufactured overseas and just boxed for whoever wants to put their name on it. At one time I believed that Hobart wire was manufactured by Miller/Hobart, but was informed by someone that Miller/Hobart have never manufactured any welding rods or wire..........any truth to that?........thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

IIRC Hobart does still make welding wire/rod in Troy Ohio.

http://www.weldwire.net/

and ESAB has the plant in Hanover, pa.

FWIW I have seen lincoln wire marked "Made in Mexico" as well as "Made in China"

....and the weldors refused to use it.

Last edited by digger doug; 04-25-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Standard of Excellence

I put the spool of L-56 on my shop feeder today and have been welding 1/4" plate all day. I must say that there is a substantial difference in arc quality between the store brand and the Lincoln wire. I did pick up a 33 pounder of the store brand, but think I may take it back and swap to the L-56 on both feeders. It is a substantial price increase, but it welds a lot better with a noticeably less spatter.
I have used it before, and don't remember a decrease in quality when I went with Washington Alloys, but then the store brand has changed several times since then. Perhaps it was just a gradual decline in the quality.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Scott, there is a spool of this wire on our MM350P at work. Do you like it? Any particular reasons?

If I had to hazard a guess as to why, I would think that one particular individual at work asked for it. Not sure what dia wire it's in but will check if any are interested.

Free shipping could be a plus considering the price.
I like the Company very well for one thing, Great little plasma cutters.. In the machines, like the Thermal-arc MST-400, Powerwave 300, and Miller Shopmate 300 DX. I noticed it the overall best arc over spool-arc 86, and L-56. It retains a crisp arc at the same time allowing good wet-out,very low splatter. Kind of like the older Hobart BR-6 use to be..Although 86,and 56 is decent wire too.. I say the INE is the most versatile in many machines.. Current Klutch, 220SI, Thermal-arc LM-200, and Esab 252I all weld about the nicest with the INE wire..(IMO) I am just glad to not have to dick with the China wire, which is generally Junk..

http://www.ine.it/en/
Old 04-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Standard of Excellence

Scott V, I am taking your advice, I ordered a 33 pounder of it

Also, the brand my LWS switched to is Core welding products. They seem to stock that brand it tips, TIG electrodes, consumables, etc. they are fairly inexpensive. I tried some TIG electrodes, but ended up throwing them away, they would split and erode very quickly. I also tried some Miller style contact tips, which also ended up in the trash. I went back with the Miller brand. So I was not excited when they changed their wire brand from the Washington Alloys to that.
I did some more welding last night with the L-56 on some .083 and 1/8" steel and am still very pleased with it. I will likely swap the 10 pound spool onto my LN-25 for my field job tomorrow, buy a spare for the shop, and wait for the large spool of INEFIL To arrive on the brown truck.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 PM
trust but verify

Quote:
I stopped buying Radnor wire (Airgas product), because of rotten wire.
Radnor seem to source from different makers. Their stick electrodes also suffer from uneven quality.

It's cheaper to buy quality the first time.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Don't get me wrong, L-56. Esab 86, are excellent wire too.. It's just nice to find one other wire brand that is as good or better depending on machines,etc. I had 86 in one machine last night. (selling it) and INE in my keeper.

Here is a wire that is copperless, and just flat out excellent. It would be somewhat compared to the original HB-28 in how nice it runs.. Have to be in a dry climate, or rust will mess with you..

http://www.hobartbrothers.com/produc...tml?name=QCL-6
Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Standard of Excellence

Wire arrived today. The pic shows how it arrived. You can guess the condition of the spool. Goes back tomorrow and try again. I did speak with some one ate INE to see if they did their own Amazon fulfillment so they could put it in another box. Super nice folks to deal with, just didn't have the answer on hand, will get back with me just to make sure future orders go well. Not their fault, but you need to allow for the package smashers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170502_163937.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	139180
Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

I bought out wire out of the warehouse deals (INE too)and it comes shipped in double boxes.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I switched to Lincoln L-56 wire, quite a while back and now its the only wire I run.
Yes, X2 that is great filler wire, splatter is less, even found at the HD... a surprise also.

Greg