Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
pepi's Avatar
pepi pepi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 125
Default Drill bits

Got this bug for a new set of good drill bits, anyone know or using these ?

http://www.wintersdrillbitcity.com/

A best drill bits search done, these were mentioned on a practical machinist, thread .

Told no pre-drilling, what I call a pilot hole needed, fractions have flats & sells single bits if ya brake one, happens now and then.

All ears or eyes in this case tell me what you think..please did I mention US made

Greg
__________________
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 PM
milomilo's Avatar
milomilo milomilo is online now
Auction Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheatland, Wyoming
Posts: 11,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi View Post
Got this bug for a new set of good drill bits, anyone know or using these ?

http://www.wintersdrillbitcity.com/

A best drill bits search done, these were mentioned on a practical machinist, thread .

Told no pre-drilling, what I call a pilot hole needed, fractions have flats & sells single bits if ya brake one, happens now and then.

All ears or eyes in this case tell me what you think..please did I mention US made

Greg
Hard to tell without any pricing on his website.
__________________
Chris

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 PM
gimpyrobb's Avatar
gimpyrobb gimpyrobb is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cincy Oh
Posts: 1,652
Default

I've heard of them, but know no one using them. I guess you'll be our guinea-pig!

Let us know how you like them.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 AM
shopsmith shopsmith is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: manassas, va
Posts: 647
Default

I don't use those guys.
But I do use these...http://www.biscotoolsupply.com
Same criteria you mention. And the pricing is on the site.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 AM
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 3,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopsmith View Post
I don't use those guys.
But I do use these...http://www.biscotoolsupply.com
Same criteria you mention. And the pricing is on the site.
The reamer part doesn't work at all on that site. :-(
...lew...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 AM
pepi's Avatar
pepi pepi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 125
Default

Here got the catalog

37678 Price List Jan 2016.qxp__.pdf...

Greg
__________________
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM
platypus20's Avatar
platypus20 platypus20 is offline
Boiler God
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: camillus, ny (syracuse)
Posts: 8,949
Default

Greg,

check out Drill America, I have tons of their taps and drills


https://www.drillamerica.com/
__________________
jack
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 AM
pepi's Avatar
pepi pepi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 125
Default

Jack,

Got it thanks I will have a look and save the link for reference.

Greg
__________________
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 PM
Oscar Oscar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Laredo, Tx
Posts: 29
Default

Anyone here try the Champion Brute bits from Roark Supply? Looking to drill Grade 5 Titanium and they claim their bits can. I will either buy an appropriate drill press or use the Smithy mill if I can get it to work at a suitable speed since I can flood it with coolant.
__________________
HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
Millermatic 211 Inverter MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
Eastwood 40A Plasma cutter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Matt Shade's Avatar
Matt Shade Matt Shade is offline
Made From Scratch
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Anyone here try the Champion Brute bits from Roark Supply? Looking to drill Grade 5 Titanium and they claim their bits can. I will either buy an appropriate drill press or use the Smithy mill if I can get it to work at a suitable speed since I can flood it with coolant.
I have used 6al4v Titanium for knife handles (believe that is grade 5). It drills pretty soft, but will work harden if you don't use an appropriate feedrate. Kind of like drilling stainless, watch the size of the chips. You can easily cut it with standard drill bits, and bi metal hacksaw or bandsaw blades. It doesn't get exciting until you try to grind it
__________________
Handcrafted Leather
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.