Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Haven't had much to do with Fergies or 8N/9Ns for many years but back when I was a kid I put lots of hours on several of them while cutting and raking hay. I don't recall having an issue with the lift mechanisms of any of them. Could be they all had the lockout lever but I don't remember seeing or using one.

Have you tried using the tractor as is? Do you have problems? Or are you just anticipating them?
To be honest, I can't remember. It's been over a decade since this old girl has come alive. I've been doing a lot of reading and have come to the conclusion that draft control is kind of a pain in the ass for implements like a brush hog, back blade, jib boom - all the things I would use her for.

What I do remember is that when using the tractor every time you press the clutch the 3 point would drop. I'm assuming this is normal if you don't have live hydraulics. If not I'd sure be interested in knowing what needs repair.

I saw a picture of a simple bracket to allow position control, makes sense to me (see attached).

Anyway, the plan is to pull the ol' girl out sometime after the get together and give her needed repairs and upgrades. Switching to 12v system with electronic ignition, replacing pushrods that are bent, setting valve clearances, replacing all fluids, cleaning and lining gas tank, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170512_103513.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	139363  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Director of Languages

the hydraulic pump is connected to the PTO which is non live, but the lift shouldnt be dropping every time you clutch. that would suggest either a very worn valve or very worn piston rings/cylinder in the lift itself.

Mine will take 5+ minutes to drop a fully loaded trasport box
Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
the hydraulic pump is connected to the PTO which is non live, but the lift shouldnt be dropping every time you clutch. that would suggest either a very worn valve or very worn piston rings/cylinder in the lift itself.

Mine will take 5+ minutes to drop a fully loaded trasport box
Awesome, thank you for the information. I will add that to the list of repairs. It's pretty amazing how readily available and relatively inexpensive parts are for this thing.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 AM
I can dig it

Ford and Ferguson were involved during the 9N (1939) model, and not sure about the 2N. (1942). They parted ways before Ford launched the 8N in 1948.

The 8N had draft and position control, I can't recall if the earlier ones did.

The idea of draft control is that, as you are plowing, cultivating etc, that if the front of the tractor drops into a hole, the implement drops instead of pulling up. Or if the wheels go up over a ridge, the implement lifts instead of digging in. To work well it is better if you have a fairly constant load on the implement. Things like blades the load changes as you move, and gather more, hit piles, etc.

The early Fords and Fergies had the hydraulic pumps driven inside the rear of the tractor, hence the pump not working when the clutch was pushed in. Starting with the NAA in 1953, Ford drove the pump off the flywheel ring gear, meaning there was hydraulic power as long as the engine is running.

I've worked on lots of the Fords, not so much the Fergies. There are reprinted service manuals readily available, 15 years ago they were a stock item at my local TSC.

I know on mine I had to rebuild part of the control linkage inside that activates the valves. After 50 years of a 5/16" dia pin riding on a cam, it was worn halfway thru.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Lord of the Minions

JB, any updates on your tractor?

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
JB, any updates on your tractor?
Nothing yet LW, between vacations, keeping the weeds knocked down, and a side project, I haven't had time to pull it out of the corner of the garage yet. I should have the side project done this weekend (thread is coming - I've even managed to snap a few pictures along the way).

I hope to have the last bench moved in the garage reorganization next weekend (between going to an auction and a rodeo). Then I have a little (okay alot) of work to do on SWMBO'S horse trailer. THEN I can work on the old Fergie.

I have managed to do a little research on the yesterday's tractors forum and have found that my problem is likely a broken cylinder or leaking rings/piston. All parts are available. I have also built a shopping cart of necessary parts to get it running:

Radiator + hoses etc.
All parts required to switch to 12v
Electronic ignition conversion
A couple of manuals
new pushrods

I'll have to add a head gasket. All together about $700.

The goal is to have it running and functioning properly before fall. I intend to run it like that for a couple years before tearing it completely apart for restoration.

Also I did find plans to build a position control device for that particular tractor.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thanks for the update.

Fergie will love you for the EI setup.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Thanks for the update.

Fergie will love you for the EI setup.
I hope so...

I'd consider myself to be slightly above average when it comes to mechanical inclination, but points, condensers, and carburetors baffle me!