Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 05-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

I agree with others that #3 is the best, I am concerned that the upper speed
of the other 2 configurations may exceed the mills bearings in the spindle.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Boiler God

The option thread was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Option 3 is the only real option. I made up a motor mount, mounted the motor and ran the mill at about at 500 rpms for about an hour, the ran the unit at 5000 rpms for about 15 minutes, constantly checking the head temperature, hardly any temperature rise.

As I have 2 other larger mills, I seriously doubt the Rockwell will ever see a end mill bigger than 3/8". Probably a lot of keyway cutting and lots of small jobs.

I picked up a used 4" vise and have ordered a handles to replace the existing ones.

One thing I'm going to have to do is build a riser platform to rise the mill higher, I'm only 5' 8" and even setting on 2 x 4s, I looking directly into the Rockwell logo, bottom of the quill is about mid-chest.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Boiler God

Norm came over yesterday, and helped out with the preliminary motor bracket, we mounted motor and ran it off an extension coed for a little while.

This morning, I rounded up all of the parts to wire the mill, the Square D on-off switch, forward-reversing switch, the plug and some SO cable. Wired up the mill, to operate on 230 vac, single phase. Wonder will never cease, I had a 50/50 shot on getting the rotation right, on the direction switch and damn, I got it first time. Usually when wiring a motor, you get that 50/50 chance and I'm usually wrong about 80% of the time. I ran the mill under no load for 1-2 hours at various speeds, motor got to about 110 degrees, mill head assembly remained at about 85 Degrees.

The UPS truck arrived at the end of the driveway (strange for a Saturday, at least here) and I got 3 boxes. My order from Grizzly came, new table handwheels and folding safety handles. Grizzly did screw up the order, the packing slip showed a dozen 7/16" t-nuts, but none were in the box. At least they are consistent, they have screwed up my last 5 orders, is someway or another. They have made them right, just takes time.

My HSS end mill order hit, all was correct.

My new Shars 4" vise arrived, I bought from a guy in Rochester area, he bought it brand new, opened the box, said looks good and then 3-4 days later got a hell of a deal on a much bigger mill, then retooled for that, this has set for about 6-8 months in his garage, so I snapped it up for $75, which included shipping. I set the vise on the table, will probably remove the swivel base, but vise look very nice.

So this afternoon, I started to change the handles on the mill, I did the knee and the Y- axis handle, and started to work on the table end handles, ran out of daylight. Placed my nut bolt order for the shop and ordered the 4" x 4" x 3/8" box tubing, to start my riser/base. The tubing and the adjusting feet should get the mill about 6" higher than it is now.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Boiler God

Finished up the table handles today, after making the 3 handle adapters. I then did some more mill clean up, then started the shop clean up. I had used almost all the machines in the shop and had swarf from one end to the other.

While I was at it, I did some serious rooting and ended up throwing away 3 huge bags of stuff. Somehow the shop looks cleaner, but with the stuff thrown away, I expected to see some more room in the MAchinery Closet, but to no avail.

I getting ready for a week of work in Vermont, installing a burner on a boiler in a dorm at a college in Northern Vermont. A tiny burner, but the job start to finish is 5 days. With two new minions, this could be a struggle.

1 - the mill
2 - new handles
3 - vise
4 - vise and the ER32 x R8 collet chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 001x.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	139396   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 006x.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	139397   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 009x.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	139398   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 012x.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	139399  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Boiler God

The temporary motor bracket, the Mark 1, it just slides onto the ram post, held in position by (2) 8mm x 20mm full dogpoint set screws, that set into the keyway groove, for the tramming drive collar. I'm working on other design concepts. Not really sure which way to go. I like the concept of the increased number of speeds, the correct motor drive sheave/pulley, will be here, by Thursday. I wanted to get the mill powered, to check out the head assembly, sounds great.

5 - new handles
6 - all folded up
7 - temporary motor bracket
8 - the controls
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 013x.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	139400   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 021x.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	139401   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 023x.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	139402   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell 2 026x.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	139403  
Old 05-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Curmudgeon

That is a mighty clean looking little mill. Mildred would fall head over heels with that guy. He is handsome.
The only thing that worries me a little bit from way down here is what I think I understand about the tramming situation but you said you're working on a plan. So being as how that ain't really any of my damned business anyway I guess I don't have to worry about that either.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Boiler God

I worked on the mill today, the bastards at work have kept be busy. Making and then remaking a burner adapter (was told that the plate was 14" x 14", but apparently the minion can't read a tape rule, as it was really 17" x 17"), a 12" stack damper and a few other parts. So I had no time for the mill.

As I finished up the stack damper on Friday night, it was time to get back to the mill. I changed the motor drive sheave/pulley and then checked the speeds through the sheave combinations, low is now 85 rpm and the max is 5893 rpm, much more usable, than the original combination.

I work on the table and knee adjustments, got them to move very smoothly and with very little backlash.

The 4" Shars vise, I got, is very nice. I'm still waiting for Grizzly to actually ship me the correct t-nuts. Between mills, rotary tables, drill presses, and other equipment, I have 9 different size t-nuts.

Last edited by platypus20; 05-21-2017 at 08:20 AM.