Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-31-2017, 09:37 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default S-10 ABS system negated

Had a friend that uses a little S-10 about the same year as mine and in need of his front pads changed.

As Doug was fighting with a broken wrist I pulled his truck into my garage and started to change them.

First thing I noticed was his ABS service light was lit on the dash cluster.

I pulled off the wheels and calipers and asked him if he had changed rotors. yep

I guess he put plain rotors on without those with sensors in place.

My question is, is he riding in a machine of death? Or will the ABS system still allow the brakes to work on command?

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Try the brakes.

Go out in some slippery mud (not like ya gots ice handy down there)
or wet grass should work,
and stab those brakes.

You should lock them up.

Any time my ABS goes off (which is common
on ice) it will vibrate the pedal.
When I have had ABS failures, you still have brakes, just not the
pulsing that ABS provides (modulating the brake force to keep the
wheels turning and not locking up)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:02 AM
Lord of the Minions

After I finished his job, I took it out, hit the brakes a few times. Locked them at about 40 to make sure nothing would fade and by the time I got back to the house all worked pretty good.

I jacked the rear up and checked the drums and will do those for him this coming weekend. Said he'd buy new drums and innards for that as well.

He'll be helping with my dropping these big tree's around the place.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Standard of Excellence

Brakes will work fine, just no abs. It is a fail safe design so that if anything is not working the brakes still function.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM

I'd argue that an S10 is probably less of a machine of death without the ABS. My experience with ABS on that truck has been that I could have done a better job of controlling my braking effectiveness than the ABS was, which always seemed to kick in at the most inopportune moments.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 PM

I'm with Matt here. I never needed trailer brakes until I got anti lock brakes. I pulled the fuse on the ABS but the truck wouldn't pass state inspection with the light on, so I put the fuse back in every year for inspection.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 PM
Lord of the Minions

Matt as I've driven the one I have now only about 10k miles so far, those times when I hit the brakes and thought an ABS system would have had superior response like a Toyota I had, well, I was disappointed.

From the looks of my system I think mine has the $200 PV and from what I'm reading, folks are going to the junk yards and picking up non-switched resettable PV's or ordering something from JEGs for about $30 for HotRodders.

I called Doug earlier and let him know not to worry about my first frettings and only be concerned should we have another ice storm like we had years ago. lol

Old 06-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Elite Member

Default S-10 ABS system negated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G. View Post
I'd argue that an S10 is probably less of a machine of death without the ABS. My experience with ABS on that truck has been that I could have done a better job of controlling my braking effectiveness than the ABS was, which always seemed to kick in at the most inopportune moments.

Your mileage may vary...

+2. Being in an area where where 1/4 of the year on snowy and Icey roads, ABS brakes sound like a great idea. If only they would work as claimed. The best ones I found was on a Dodge caravan I drove. I would hit the brakes hard while cruzing on the freeway, and if they applied, I knew to slow down. (Of course, starting to see cars in the ditch helped to realize the roads were starting to get slippery too.)

The ABS on my chevys never seemed to be good and I tend to disable them.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 06-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Lord of the Minions

I do appreciate the help with this discussion.

Thinking on things and reading up on one of the S-10 forums, all those that seem to know the difference between a hubcap and filler cap are saying the same things about the 90's era s10 gen 2 truck ABS systems. No matter where they might be located within the States.

I might just kill mine as I see my pads are down to 1/4" and I can see the rotors probably have never been changed. The rears are in about the same shape and will go with drums as well.

I like the little truck and have found the HO version of this engine /flywheel/transmission in good used with low mileage and have it sitting on a pallet in the shop for a soon to be rebuild. The difference tween the vin Z and W engines were hp. Mine is the lower hp V-6 engine. Can't imagine how much difference that hp change could make to an already peppy little white truck willing to scare the shit out of an old guy on a wet road should he nail the pedal in 3 on an on ramp of I-10. Not bad at all for small truck performance considering how good it is on gas at 75 to fro the farm.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:20 PM

I'm not really convinced that GM has ever truly figured out ABS. I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but their ABS SUCKS. I've had a couple episodes with my 2011 Cruze as well where I've gone over a tiny patch of sand just as I started applying the brakes, and damn near rear-ended the guy in front of me because the car thought it needed to help me. Never would have happened with my old ABS-less car.