Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Default Lagun FTV-3

KeithR sent me this ad and I thought the price was high but worth investigating.
So I asked Keith to go over and check it out and send pictures.
And he did.
The owner sales guy came down on the phone to me to a price of $3800. I felt that as there are no mills of any brand for sale used in Alberta, one or two in BC, this better be as good as it looks. Yes, there is a handle or two missing, and I don't like the voltage, but that is all.
Greywind has generously offered to help with a mill from Ontario, and saw a BP for $3000 over there. But I would have to pay shipping, and it is unlikely to have a 3 axis servo drive and DRO.

Well, to make a long story boring, Keith and I went to look at it and hooked it up to 600 Volt power, and it had that distinctive sound of a cement mixer I went in to the office and told him that it was not worth a penny over $2500, and left. He promised to examine and fix it and report back.

They could not figure out how to take the motor off so did not succeed. After I came back from Vancouver Island, I went to see him with the plan to start bargaining at $2500 and walk away at 3K. He lead with a preemptive strike, and said he recognized there was an issue with it, and would let it go for $3000, but any less and he would fix it himself.
So I said ok.
Keith who has bigger ears then me, said it is motor bearings, cause that is the area of the rumbling sound.

So, in the future I will be posting about dis-assembling the head and bearing replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP8165.PPAC.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	139645   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP8168.PPAC.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	139646   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP8171.PPAC.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	139647   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP8175.PPAC.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	139648   Click image for larger version

Name:	00y0y_itxsnfEXp0M_600x450.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	139649  

It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Grumpy Bastard

if it is just motor bearing that is a cheap fix.

Congrats.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Curmudgeon

Very impressive monstah. What taper, R8 or cat40, or will your old tooling be useful?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Auction Addict

Since you are going to repower, the bad motor bearings won't be a problem

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Very impressive monstah. What taper, R8 or cat40, or will your old tooling be useful?
Rod, beggars can't be choosers on tapers, so I had to accept the CAT 40 taper, which means that all the tool holders I have, got to be sold with the old mill.
The only issue may be the the Narex Boring head which has a threaded R8 spindle. I have to find a Narex adapter shank or threaded cat40 adapter.

I ordered a set of CAT40 collets from China, but for heavy cutting collets are not as good as individual holders.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Last edited by Ironman; 06-02-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Since you are going to repower, the bad motor bearings won't be a problem
I have a 3hp/3phase motor with flange mount I bought but if I could find a 3hp single phase used, and it was not way larger the 3 phase, life would be good. I have height restrictions in the machining area.
I have to forfeit my VFD with the mill I am selling, so I would need to buy another...they are cheap.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Boiler God

Gerry,

I have mill envy!!, I have a couple of handles similar to the one on the table's, in and out (Y-axis). I could export them to Canada.

GNAP
Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I have a 3hp/3phase motor with flange mount I bought but if I could find a 3hp single phase used, and it was not way larger the 3 phase, life would be good. I have height restrictions in the machining area.
I have to forfeit my VFD with the mill I am selling, so I would need to buy another...they are cheap.
I just got a 5hp 220, 3450 rpm, single phase for cheap. Runs smooth and quiet too. Too bad it is not a flange mount. Probably to much hp too. What height do you have available? If I can find one I can bring it up.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I just got a 5hp 220, 3450 rpm, single phase for cheap. Runs smooth and quiet too. Too bad it is not a flange mount. Probably to much hp too. What height do you have available? If I can find one I can bring it up.
Thanks Chris, see if you can find something. I'll post the max motor height today. It should be 1750 rpm.
A mill is a big heavy thing so it won't chatter and diddle about when cutting. Horsepower is rather insignificant on manual machine. If you were wearing a scuba suit and milling with flood coolant at maximum cutting rates, or rigged for CNC, you may need more.
I have a C-face motor in 3 phase which is tested good when at Terry's and is even shorter then the one on it at present. Whatever motor I use may require some machining and drilling of the face because it is European 2 bolt mount, and will require the shaft being extended and tapped for a bolt. The motor I picked up looks like it came of a Radicon reduction drive and has long and double shafts and lots of meat on the face casting.
Of course Terry in his wisdom offered me a Briggs & Stratton for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Gerry,

I have mill envy!!, I have a couple of handles similar to the one on the table's, in and out (Y-axis). I could export them to Canada.

GNAP
Thanks, Jack. That's a great tribute from a guy with 4 mills and counting.
I would appreciate the handles, PM me with the cost and I'll send to you.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM
SFT Historian

The mill has a veridrive, it "may" require a special shafted motor. or require jacks extended belt motor-mount modifications.