Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Thanks Chris, see if you can find something. I'll post the max motor height today. It should be 1750 rpm.
A mill is a big heavy thing so it won't chatter and diddle about when cutting. Horsepower is rather insignificant on manual machine. If you were wearing a scuba suit and milling with flood coolant at maximum cutting rates, or rigged for CNC, you may need more.
I have a C-face motor in 3 phase which is tested good when at Terry's and is even shorter then the one on it at present. Whatever motor I use may require some machining and drilling of the face because it is European 2 bolt mount, and will require the shaft being extended and tapped for a bolt. The motor I picked up looks like it came of a Radicon reduction drive and has long and double shafts and lots of meat on the face casting.
Of course Terry in his wisdom offered me a Briggs & Stratton for it

Thanks, Jack. That's a great tribute from a guy with 4 mills and counting.
I would appreciate the handles, PM me with the cost and I'll send to you.
Better if Jack sends them to me and I will deliver to Gerry in July. Shipping to CA is a killer.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Of course Terry in his wisdom offered me a Briggs & Stratton for it
You could convert it to line shaft operation and run the line shaft off an antique tractor...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
The mill has a veridrive, it "may" require a special shafted motor. or require jacks extended belt motor-mount modifications.
I have a lathe, so that shaft will get reduced or sleeved to whatever metric size it is.
And yes, it is a "special" motor at present, in which the end bell of the motor is part of a ventilated casting for cooling the drive. The book says don't get excited if the temp of the housing gets up to 90C as that is normal.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I just got a 5hp 220, 3450 rpm, single phase for cheap. Runs smooth and quiet too. Too bad it is not a flange mount. Probably to much hp too. What height do you have available? If I can find one I can bring it up.
Chris, the measurement is 9.5" from the face flange to the rear of the motor. That will leave 7" to the ceiling. Not much wiggle room.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 06-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Chris, the measurement is 9.5" from the face flange to the rear of the motor. That will leave 7" to the ceiling. Not much wiggle room.
I will check out my supply and see if a couple friends may have one.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

What's wrong with 600 volt ?.....
Old 06-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Gerry, FYI a couple places that have handwheels if you can't find anything else...

https://www.kippusa.com/ca/en/Produc...andwheels.html

https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/produ...ps/hand-wheels

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
What's wrong with 600 volt ?.....
Absolutely nothing. One of the handiest voltages I have worked with. Wire size for this motor would be minimal as 1 horsepower draws 1 amp on 600V.
But getting a VFD for 575 is expensive, and a transformer to crank it up from 220 volt is not near free either, I looked into it.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Gerry, FYI a couple places that have handwheels if you can't find anything else...

https://www.kippusa.com/ca/en/Produc...andwheels.html

https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/produ...ps/hand-wheels
Thanks Keith. It is lower on the priority list, but needed. I have to get the congealed cutting oil off, pressure wash it I think, and then move it into the shop. About the time I want to work on it some other broken thing will limp into the yard.
I rewired the machine and tested yesterday, and now the next stage is gather parts for the motor. I see a complete rebuild set with belts and bearings is $400US from an aftermarket dealer. Once I take the lid off, what I need will be visible, I hope.
I can run that motor on 220V to see if the noise is motor bearings for sure, and if so, that will be all it needs.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. One of the handiest voltages I have worked with. Wire size for this motor would be minimal as 1 horsepower draws 1 amp on 600V.
But getting a VFD for 575 is expensive, and a transformer to crank it up from 220 volt is not near free either, I looked into it.
I have it in my shop as I have a couple of old machines that run on it.

I have a RPC I built, and I picked up a couple of 3 phase 220/600 volt
transformers cheaply.

And every xformer I have (for 600 volt) are made in ....wait for it...CANADA !

So you can do it too, skip the VFD, too easy for lightning to wipe out.

FWIW My maintenance friend has run 575 (that's 600 volt) motors
on 440 for years, no harm done.