SFT Search:   

Old 06-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

FWIW My maintenance friend has run 575 (that's 600 volt) motors
on 440 for years, no harm done.
True.
I have run 50 cycle 3phase 460 volt motors on 600V 60 cycle with no problems. You can go over and under voltage about 20 percent without problems but in an overload you will smoke it faster in an overvoltage situation. These were put on water pumps with very little head.They were Polish built, and I got a pallet of 6 of them for $50 that terrified the locals because it said 50 cycle. Big heavy motors with lots of iron and copper.
A 600 volt motor will run on 220V at about 1/3 rated power, and all I want is to check bearing noise.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
True.
I have run 50 cycle 3phase 460 volt motors on 600V 60 cycle with no problems. You can go over and under voltage about 20 percent without problems but in an overload you will smoke it faster in an overvoltage situation. These were put on water pumps with very little head.They were Polish built, and I got a pallet of 6 of them for $50 that terrified the locals because it said 50 cycle. Big heavy motors with lots of iron and copper.
A 600 volt motor will run on 220V at about 1/3 rated power, and all I want is to check bearing noise.
I vividly remember simply swapping the drive pulleys for smaller ones to use 50 hz motors on Swedish equipment for use with North American 60 hz power. The overall speed of the machine was to be kept in very narrow limits. They were very careful to get transformers of correct output voltages though, as there were other systems on those machines that were sensitive to the voltage they were fed.

I also vaguely recall motors that would run on different feed voltages by switching from running the windings connected phase to phase (known as Delta IIRC), or phase to neutral (known as a Star connection IIRC). I'm sure Terry L or someone more up on industrial electrical stuff could clarify or verify.....
Old 06-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
You could convert it to line shaft operation and run the line shaft off an antique tractor...

I was thinking steam.....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 06-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Blast this!

He does have a lister that could drive the line shaft .
Old 06-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
He does have a lister that could drive the line shaft .
That's what the Amish around here use.....
Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Lord of the Minions

Hope you get this thing slinging chips soon Gerry.

Looks like a keeper.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Another rain day so I was inside piddling around on the mill. Cleaning up dried on flood coolant does not work well with varsol, but it does soften it, and then a wire brush moves it. I pressure washed it with soap when I got the machine home and drained the sump.
The little spots in the nooks and crannies need a easy way to melt this shit. Alcohol? Brakekleen? Gas?
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 PM
I can dig it

I've used brake cleaner on some of that stuff, but it can also soften paint, so test it first.

Some strong commercial cleaners will also do it, I think it's a matter of finding the 'right' active ingredients.

Time for a new signature line!!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:41 PM

Gonna try ZEP Citrus degreaser as recommended by some guys on Practical machinist.
Today I took off the motor, and that appears to be the source of the noise. You can turn it over by hand, but as soon as you do you can feel the grinding and the shaft will not spin freely at all.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Boiler God

Canadians!! <sigh>,

spill a little Mt Dew Code Red on the hardened crap, it will be gone in no time!!......