Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM
The Real Deal

Default polaris ATV

I am working on a 1996 polaris xplorer 400 two cycle for a friend, I got it running but it was smoking bad (white smoke) and the antifreeze level kept going down so I assumed the head gasket was shot.So I changed both the head gasket and the base gasket and put it back together and it is doing the same thing, maybe even a little worse. I didn't see any cracks when cleaning parts. Does anyone have any ideas???
Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Karma Avenger

If it got overheated, it probably has a crack or a warped gasket surface on either the head or the cylinder. Does the white smoke have that "I'm burning antifreeze" smell to it? The only real way to test it is to pressure test the cooling system while it's assembled. Pump it up to about 15lbs and see if it holds it.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 PM
The Real Deal

It seems to have the burned antifreeze smell, there is a hell of lot of smoke, how would you pressurize the cooling system?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Auction Addict

They make a radiator pressure pump with a gauge on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV456.../dp/B003V9L05G

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
It seems to have the burned antifreeze smell, there is a hell of lot of smoke, how would you pressurize the cooling system?
You just need air from a small pump or a compressor regulated down to 15 psi. If the radiator hoses are small you can usually pull one off a spigot you can get to easy and cobble a T fitting with a pressure gage on it. Top radiator hose works best as you won't lose much liquid. and you will be able to leave the radiator cap on so you can not over pressure it. Just have to find another piece of hose to fit on the fitting you pulled off. Don't cut the hose some of those are very spendy. Although you could just leave your fitting in there as a coupling splice type affair.

Pull the spark plug out, when you pressure up the cooling system you can hear it when leaking into the cylinder.

Or if you have a fitting to blow air into the cylinder through the plug hole you can see bubbles in the radiator with the cap off. Since it is a 2 stroke you would have to hold the piston so it covers the ports in the cylinder walls. easy enough if it is a manual transmission. just put it in a higher gear and let it stop against a big heavy object, the shop wall or something like that. If an automatic transmission type you will need other options to keep the piston in place while you pressure it up..

Scott
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM
The Real Deal

First thank's for the replies. It was to hard to get at the upper radiator hoses and it is a automatic so I tapped into the hose as it goes into the head and the pressure drops immediately I put about 20# air pressure into it and I can see air and antifreeze going into the over flow until it reaches about 13# then it stops but the pressure goes to zero. Also I did compression test and shows 100#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3556.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	139689  

Last edited by digr; 06-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post

I put about 20# air pressure into it and I can see air and antifreeze going into the over flow until it reaches about 13# then it stops

but the pressure goes to zero. Also I did compression test and shows 100#

On my car the radiator cap is set around 13-15 psi
so at around 13-15 psi it will release pressure so you do not blow-up the radiator or seals.

It should hold below the set "safety psi".
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
The Real Deal

Update I found a leak in one hose fitting, right now it is holding at 15#
Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Well at least you are sharing the fun with us. I appreciate that.

Is there water going through the intake manifold in any way? There may be a bad o ring where it connects to the block and is sucking it in there some way. If you have 100 psi on compression and you are holding 15 psi in the system you have something sucking it in while it is running.

Or the overflow tube for the radiator got mixed up and stuck on a vacuum port instead of atmospheric vent.

Scott
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM
The Real Deal

14# now