Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Roll the crank through a revolution and see where you lose pressure. I am assuming you do not have coolant in the oil?

Scott
Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 PM
The Real Deal

Just turned it over, no change in pressure, it is down to 13# now, I don't know what the hell is going on, could it be the oil injector? maybe I had two problems.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Yes it is possible you may not have all the air out of the cooling system, some of them are a pain to get full. that is why you saw the coolant disappear, not much volume in there any way I would venture to guess.

So it has oil injection, figured it did since it is a newer two stroke.

You did smell antifreeze burning did you not? Or could it be leftovers in the exhaust from before you got it?

Pull the oil injector line off and plug it. and run some mixed up 2 stroke to see what you come up with. As long as you don't run straight gas for a long time you should be ok with something you have to test it out.

When you got it running did it start smoking instant or took a few minutes and really smoked?

You might just have air in coolant and left over fluid in the exhaust that might take quite a while to burn out.

You could also have a leaking crank case, pulling air in the wrong place. If it seems to run ok that may not be an issue.

When you pull out the oil filler cap how does it smell in there?

Scott

Did you roll it over real slow or roll it with the starter?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Found a manual here

It talks about a mechanical seal in the water pump. I wonder if it is running and pulling the seal open on the water pump and pulling it into the combustion chamber and getting it from there? 2 strokes sometimes cause weird issues you do not think of.

Scott
Old 06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
The Real Deal

Went out this morning and the pressure was 13#, put the hoses back on and filled it with antifreeze, drained the gas tank and added mixed gas, disconnected and plugged the oil line from the oil tank. it fired right up with I think normal 2 cycle smoke, the water level held fine without over heating. Now it will run at a idle about 15 min. and die and I have to clean the plug to get it to start again. The plug has oil on it. This will work for awhile until the plug will no longer fire and I have to use a new plug and it will fire right off. I think there is still oil it the injector and pump that is causing the problem.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Oh yeah, time for a fun ,,,,,er,,,,um,,,,, test run, yes that is it, test run.

Scott
Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Karma Avenger

You idle a two stroke motorcycle/ATV engine for 15 minutes and it will likely foul the plug unless your heat range is adjusted to compensate for the lack of heat in the spark plug. What does it do if you go out and ride it for 15 minutes instead? Two strokes are finicky about spark plug heat ranges, too cold and they foul, too hot and they hole the piston. It's a balancing act. Four stokes are less temperamental but more moving parts and they make less power.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM
The Real Deal

I just got back from a mile run threw the woods and it did fine and seems to idle fair with its ups and downs, I just talked to the owner and he doesn't seem to happy with having to mix gas and wants me to see what it will take to fix the injection system I want this thing gone!!! IMO the machine is not worth the time I have in it now but he says it has to be fixed. He is a friend who has me fix most of his equipment and pays well but I can't charge him for all the time I have in it. I will get back what I have in it plus a bit more. This kind of work is not what I do.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Hey digr, see if the oil injection works like this

scroll to the bottom of the thread.

Scott
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 PM
The Real Deal

I will take a look tomorrow, it is located in no mans land on the bottom front of the engine

Last edited by digr; 06-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.