Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-17-2017, 02:59 AM

Default Going backwards

I bought a 99 Taurus to replace the 96 Taurus with 206k on the clock. The 99 has a misfire that I was aware of, thinking it would be a simple plug or wire changeout, maybe a coil pack. WRONG! I will be pulling at least the right cylinder head tomorrow, probably both heads. Once on the road, I expect to get another 100k. It might be the last car I buy, 'cause I don't want and can't afford any dealer service trips for the later models. I guess I like the earlier cars because I can still work on them, and I already know a lot about the Taurus. I don't need 6 ways to have my phone connect to my mode of transportation.

Maybe I should have looked for a 95 or 94 instead.

One thing I can say about OBDII, it has extended the service interval of tuneups, increased gas mileage, and cleaned this city of most all of the smokers that would run up and down Speedway, 4th & 6th Ave.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:20 AM
SFT Historian

All I know about Taurus is bad transmissions.

Did you consider a bad Injector.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Boiler God

At least you can find vehicles of that age that are not a rusted hulk,
Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
All I know about Taurus is bad transmissions.

Did you consider a bad Injector.
The tranny in our old Taurus is still alive. I took it in once because of a solenoid that keep the torque converter locked up.

A compression test gave me 40 lbs on cylinder number one.

Quote:
At least you can find vehicles of that age that are not a rusted hulk,
Update, there is rust... in the cooling system. Seems this car has been run too long without anti-freeze. Time for a good flush and a new water pump while I am at it.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

You need to get yourself one of these Bluetooth scan TOOLS. A little over $5, the thing arrived from China in about 2wks. It comes with a SW disk with various apps I have not tried yet.

Although I have one of these, I haven't tried it yet but they are fairly simple to use: install app in your phone, plug in adapter to your OBD2 port, turn on BT in your phone and "link" with the adapter, run app. It will give you basic codes and a lot of other cutesy bells and whistles. It may require a data or wifi connection.

I have another similar unit that came with a $5 "Torque PRO" app and an OBD2 2' extension cable. That one was $15. "elm327" is a chip made by a Canadian co. but copied profusely by the Chinese who are pumping out these little adapters. For this money, who can't afford to have one in each car? I have an older, smaller "smart" phone not on a plan (ie: no service) I use with this in a cup holder--a tablet would probably be better to see but harder to secure in a car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elm327adapter.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	139785  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
I bought a 99 Taurus to replace the 96 Taurus with 206k...
I just looked at a 99 (I think) white wagon about a month ago. Body/interior were in decent, reconditionable shape. I figured it could be an occasional shop beast for picking up parts and what not. Only reason I considered it was it was 5min. away and only $500. 3.8? engine was a little too rattley for my liking and I didn't even take it for a roadtest.

Good Luck with yours, AZ!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I just looked at a 99 (I think) white wagon about a month ago. Body/interior were in decent, reconditionable shape. I figured it could be an occasional shop beast for picking up parts and what not. Only reason I considered it was it was 5min. away and only $500. 3.8? engine was a little too rattley for my liking and I didn't even take it for a roadtest.

Good Luck with yours, AZ!
Yeah, all I've heard about the 3.8 is trouble. A buddy had one in his Windstar. Needed head gaskets every couple of years.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 AM

Welp, the motor is out and sitting on a stand. While prepping for head removal, I saw a rust stain on the core plug on cyl 2, and no way to replace it sans yanking the engine.

After being installed on the stand, I aired up cyl 1 on TDC and the major compression leak is thru the intake valve. Of course, I aired up the cyl first just off of TDC and spun the crank in a hurry. No wrenches were thrown, no bones broken.

Found evidence of slight leakage of the head gasket between cylinders, all kinds of mud in the cooling system. Heads are at the rebuilders, will get an estimated cost tomorrow. The block deck checks out within .0015", so no worries there.

Stripped out the allen socket of the block drain plug on bank 2. I suppose a bit of heat to loosen it/unstick it may work, otherwise it will get drilled out.

I can feel it, it's going to be a great car.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 AM

Sounds like a plan. Taurus is definitely a bulletproof car!

My brother had a Taurus (can't remember the year) that he put 275k miles onto before giving the car to our elderly father, who probably put another 50k onto before his health deteriorated. I remember Dad was driving it up a steep hill when he "downshifted" it (into either 1 or R) at around 50mph to "help it climb the hill"...you couldn't kill that car!