Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-20-2017, 04:39 PM
I can dig it

I have a 5' rotary mower with the 'swinging' blades, and knowing a few of the items I've hit, would hate to see it's condition without that swinging blade. I even hit an AC compressor once and threw it 30-40', but the mower kept going. If it had been a straight blade I don't know what it may have done.

With the size and weight of the blades, as long as they're up to speed they chop really well, typically anything the tractor can drive thru/over.

Time for a new signature line!!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 AM
Blast this!

Main reason is to keep tip speed under speed of sound ,at least that is what a mower dealer told me this spring. There are consumer laws that say a max feet per minute at tip.I only ask because 3 blades on a 42" mower seemed excessive
Old 09-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Director of Languages

that's what I meant above when I said a brush hog style blade. Over here they're called a topper, most dont even have the saucer, just the centre, fixed section of the blade is cranked to keep it up out of the debris. the idea is that if you're in rough ground and moving slowly the racket it makes when the blade is hitting and folding will alert you to problems so you'll lift. if you dont lift and the central part of the blade impacts then a shear bolt will break.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Lord of the Minions

Due to both age and health I do not see myself traveling over/cutting unknown ground with anything I'll be cutting, besides possibly the side of the road at times.

I'm going to keep blade tip speeds within what is found with commercially sold equipments and not deviate in one direction or the other in that area.

For the time being my intentions are to go with a single 40" or 36" blade with the thickness of the blade being important. I have found a supplier for the 40" to offer it in 3/8" and reversible to cut on either side. The thickest found in 36" so far is 1/4".

I'm hoping that the driven shaft holding the blade will be able to make use of a bit of a double saddle for the blades center section plus having it bolted/nutted to the center driven shaft.

Thanks for the inputs of info and ideas. Very helpful indeed.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 AM
Lord of the Minions

I found a pair of 40" blades on the hanger at TSC x 5/16" thick no lift profile which I brought home and placed in the box.

I also bought two 14" typical shredder swinging blades 1/2" thick and about 4" wide and bolt sets for each. Box is getting heavy.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!