Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Auction Addict

Default Lincoln 8010 electrodes

I picked up a 50# can of Lincoln 8P 8010 1/8" rod a couple many months back. It is intended to be used for high strength cross county pipe lines. Wondering if can be used for plain old mild steel? Anybody ever try using this on mild steel?

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 PM
The Real Deal

What are the pipes made of? High strength mild steel?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
What are the pipes made of? High strength mild steel?
Not sure if this answers your question, but it is where I got my info.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 11-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Auction Addict

A little more info.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:44 AM
Lord of the Minions

Chris, back around 2010 or so I helped a friend in his shop in Laf with some connection pieces of 1/2"x36" piping for a pipeline connection job he had at a production site of some sort. I wanted to TIG like the old days, but the contract was specific with what was used on the root and what was used on the cap.

I do remember that at the time I started the rust I had from being away for so long, I had a hell of a time with bug holes out the yingyang due to straying from the pocket of the bevel on the root pass and relearning my machine and how I used to make nice beads and good beads to boot.

I also had a time of setting the machine to make the rod work as advertised.

What I came up with was running the 1/8" rod for a root with a slightly lower setting on my 300.

Trying to cap had me making two passes to get things right.

I was given about 20lbs of what was left in that can and have used it on mild steel, but nothing seeing severe duty or use with the exception of a few single row 3pt tools. Mostly as I was out of 6010 etc. though. edit:not exactly true.......I used some of this rod after it was a good 5 years old, adding teeth to one of my augers for post hole digging and they have worked just fine for several hundred holes over the years now. On one job I did for a neighbor I hit a pocket of buried concrete that was just under the surface about 18". Stopped the digging cold and sheared the pine on the drive box right quick. I backed it out expecting the worst, but besides some nicks on the teeth and sides, the welds held and nothing broke. The teeth BTW are of mild steel f/p with hard surfacing on the cutting edges only.

As I've not gained much expertise with this rod and it's abilities on mild steel, I cannot answer your question explicitly yea or nay.

I can say that it demands a nice and clean bevel, even for a tee joint of angle or f/b etc. Again with the bug holes should I not be spot on with keeping it in the middle of the bevel. I can also be fairly sure that it does not like rust or contaminates found on the farm, scale etc, rust, bird shit etc etc etc.

In short, might I add, my days of working in a shop or in the field welding pressure pipe is now over. I do not see myself as being able to cope with the prowess that a PipeLine Gypsy must have any longer. The eyes went first, the dexterity next and my will to work that hard are long gone.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 11-20-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Compare the elongation numbers