Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I can't really advise you Wolf. I don't really do welding for hire but when I do it is a minimum $20 just to setup the machine at my shop.

If I were to do something mobile I would have a minimum charge to setup/showup, plus travel time, plus prep time, plus welding time, plus consumables. (12) 1" welds will take longer than (1) 12" weld so I don't think I would charge "by the rod".

The "problem" you will encounter IMO, is that you will show up to do a job, set it up, do a little prep, weld for 2 minutes and you're done (for example). What the customer will see is you charging him $200 for 2 minutes of welding. Of course we know there is a LOT more to it than that...

Good Luck!
that is exactly my concern i don't want make the customer feel as if they are being charged an unfair price but even at that it is too easy to cut my own throat and make only 20 or fifty bucks when it just cost me 100 or even 200 with everything it involves.

but in my experience as well i never ran in to a two minuet weld usually what they want fixed is pretty well messed up and the time comes form un-fudging it to the point of now we can repair it.

what i would normally do is charge what the job is worth to me what i was looking for in this post was a way to figure out a fair and standard set cost of mobile welding that separates me from the others somewhere in between
so the post wasn't meant to be a loaded question

but i see to no one has commented on aluminum welding in filed or shop
a lot of what i get calls for is aluminum repairs the aluminum welding its self somewhat separates it self from general welding which takes more time and prep.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-

Last edited by MetalWolf; 12-27-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling eror darn key board
Old 12-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Something's Fishy ...

The "problem" you will encounter IMO, is that you will show up to do a job, set it up, do a little prep, weld for 2 minutes and you're done (for example). What the customer will see is you charging him $200 for 2 minutes of welding. Of course we know there is a LOT more to it than that...

I have never seen that as anything but a cheapskate separator.
only once in 35 years of service work did it get asked. My answer was "how much would it cost to truck it to my shop have me unload it set it up to test then do the 2 minute fix and get it returned to you?"
Old 12-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Roving Reporter

There are different ways to price mobile services. Weldors typically charge door to door by the hour, unless they do a common job for a flat rate.

Other mobile services use other formulae. The most complicated was from a tire shop. 195$ to start the truck, 1.50$ per round trip km (about 2$/mile), and 125$/hr on site with a 2 hour minimum plus parts.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 AM

A guy I used to use in a previous life charged a flat rate door to door. He took the view that if he was doing skilled fit up work you were paying for wear and tear of his brain, if he was just laying down metal building up a worn part you were paying for excess materials but not so much brain so the rate stayed the same. All he used was stick or mig so no greatly varying material costs.

If you are doing Tig on Ali I guess you would need to increase the rate.

When we got the bill through attached was a copy of the report off his vehicle tracker which proved his hours.

The time he took to do a job was related to how much coffee/ tea we gave him. If it was an urgent job he went thirsty and kept working, if it was routine job we kept him well 'watered'. That arrangement worked well for both of us at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post

I have never seen that as anything but a cheapskate separator.
only once in 35 years of service work did it get asked. My answer was "how much would it cost to truck it to my shop have me unload it set it up to test then do the 2 minute fix and get it returned to you?"
Cheapskate Separator, I like that!

LOL, I never had a mobile 2 minute job, but I always made it clear, I charged
from when I pulled out until I returned. All at the same rate. I did get a few
questions about charging $125 while driving. My answer is that I am not in
the shop working, and I have work there too.

Most of my mobile work was for farmers, they tend to break shit really good.

I once had the fun welding an axle on a grain wagon that broke in mud. The
farmer was not too happy when I told him he had to empty the box before I
could weld on it. Too much weight to try to jack it up in mud. The tubing
snapped under the cart in the middle. One of his seasonal helpers got it stuck
but kept pulling on it. I jacked it up and welded a piece of flat bar on it then
drug it back to the shop. All night job. But when he saw I only charged him 2
hours mobile and the rest shop rate he was happy. I also pointed out that at
the shop I like cut 2 hours off the bill too. Shop rate but it was still triple time.

But he was fighting weather and harvesting. He still runs that grain box.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley