Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Check the new line at HF. I'm very impressed. Would buy one if I had a need. IIRC it is a Lincoln clone
Moe, after you mentioned this I did some digging and a little time wasting spent on-line at HF as was fairly impressed with how many new welders they had to offer.

I'm trying to get a couple folk at work pushed in that direction to allow me to get a good look at them real time. lol

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Moe, after you mentioned this I did some digging and a little time wasting spent on-line at HF as was fairly impressed with how many new welders they had to offer.

I'm trying to get a couple folk at work pushed in that direction to allow me to get a good look at them real time. lol

Harbor Freight seems to be trying to move somewhat upscale, they are offering Hercules brand power tools, as their premium line, Vulcan brand in their welding equipment and supplies. They have the Maddox line, in auto repair tools (bearing tools, ball joint tools, etc). But also seem to be selling the cheap stuff along side of the newer premium brands.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM
SFT Historian

Looks like there is a "1 Year Risk Free Trial Money Back Guarantee" on the Vulcan welders.
The question would be who do you return the welder to HF or ship it to the Factory ?

one manual I read only had a one year warranty.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:54 AM

New guy here.

Not really off brand but a Lincoln Square Wave 200 might fit the bill except I'm not sure you can attach the water cooler to it. The cost is about 1400 bucks.

But I had a friend of mine use a Vulcan welder and he says he really liked it. I myself haven't tried one yet.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
New guy here.

Not really off brand but a Lincoln Square Wave 200 might fit the bill except I'm not sure you can attach the water cooler to it. The cost is about 1400 bucks.

But I had a friend of mine use a Vulcan welder and he says he really liked it. I myself haven't tried one yet.
Welcome Aboard, JRT!

A "water cooler" is more a function of the torch--an accessory, if you will. It will require the cooler and matching water-cooled torch. With the various connectors it is easy to revert back to an air-cooled torch for smaller amperages and/or tighter spaces. There are two main torch "families" with each family sharing consumables. #9 & #20 and #17, #18 & #26 being the more popular sizes.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1942 View Post
Check the new line at HF. I'm very impressed. Would buy one if I had a need. IIRC it is a Lincoln clone..
I second That! the omni pro 220 is a very nice machine but faactory weld settings are a bit too hot so you will need to program in your own weld setting easy as eating icecream not to mention thee Tig kit and pedal Optional are far less inn cost than NB.

i used it to build my back handicap deck about a month ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171029_165823.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	142429

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171029_165844.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	142430

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
i used it to build my back handicap deck about a month ago
Damn! Are you driving a forklift on that or what?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-23-2017, 07:27 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeir View Post
Hey guys I’m planning on buying another tig machine but dont have 2500+ for a Miller like I want so I plan on buying one of those off brands.

on this site, a large percentage of the membership, would consider Lincoln to be an off brand..............................
Old 12-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Elite Member

Both of my blue machines were purchased used but, at least, I don't have to worry about losing status on this forum.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:04 AM

I think what it boils down to is.

affordability and uses
in my opinion brand names and color no longer play part in todays market of the end user! , the end user will buy the machine that will get the job done and most under buy to start out with and end up deciding on a newer and bigger ability machine.

some people are more than willing to step out on that limb and say yada yada brand is best have not had to budget their funds as do most beginners and DIY and no doubt ever tried the newer inverters or off brands

the only people who can and will lose face/status OR who will gain face in status will be the manufactures.

I know so many so called weldor's in my area that run around with a machine in the back of their truck an because the machine has a name on it they think they are somebody but never use it don't know the first thing about real world welding can not bid a job and never willing to do the work with out someone with experience holding their hand

The machine don't make the man nor does it do the work... it's the man who make the machine work for him.

personally i will not spend the funds on red or blue because i know there are machines out there other brands and off brands that are more affordable that will do the same and are as good.....with out having to pay for a Name or a color that don't amount to a hill of beans any more.

Now with that being said none of the above means anything when it comes to solid performance! the above only pertains to what most do in a home shop or small business....as typically very few of the colors and names you find in a small business or home shop are industrial use nor are they bought for that purpose.

If your need is for pipeline you wont run down to the local hardware store and find what it takes to pipeline... commercial industry use machines are expensive no matter the color or name.

so it is buy what you need but a little more machine than you think you need as you will eventually step it up or want too.

I don't think anyone here will make any suggestions on brands they are not familiar with or have not used them selves name brand or off brand... but keep an open mind weigh the suggestions an keep an idea of what you will use it for on the bigger picture side of it that is to assure your self you don't buy too small

take in to consideration the work type you will use it for
the material you plan on welding will be a even bigger factor if you are going to be welding aluminum and other alloys

eeeh... that's just my opinion but heck what do i know

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-