Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I think what it boils down to is.

affordability and uses
in my opinion brand names and color no longer play part in todays market of the end user! , the end user will buy the machine that will get the job done and most under buy to start out with and end up deciding on a newer and bigger ability machine.

the only people who can and will lose face/status OR who will gain face in status will be the manufactures.

I know so many so called weldor's in my area that run around with a machine in the back of their truck an because the machine has a name on it they think they are somebody but never use it don't know the first thing about real world welding can not bid a job and never willing to do the work with out someone with experience holding their hand

The machine don't make the man nor does it do the work... it's the man who make the machine work for him.

personally i will not spend the funds on red or blue because i know there are machines out there other brands and off brands that are more affordable that will do the same and are as good.....with out having to pay for a Name or a color that don't amount to a hill of beans any more.

Now with that being said none of the above means anything when it comes to solid performance! the above only pertains to what most do in a home shop or small business....as typically very few of the colors and names you find in a small business or home shop are industrial use nor are they bought for that purpose.

If your need is for pipeline you wont run down to the local hardware store and find what it takes to pipeline... commercial industry use machines are expensive no matter the color or name.

so it is buy what you need but a little more machine than you think you need as you will eventually step it up or want too.

I don't think anyone here will make any suggestions on brands they are not familiar with or have not used them selves name brand or off brand... but keep an open mind weigh the suggestions an keep an idea of what you will use it for on the bigger picture side of it that is to assure your self you don't buy too small

take in to consideration the work type you will use it for
the material you plan on welding will be a even bigger factor if you are going to be welding aluminum and other alloys

eeeh... that's just my opinion but heck what do i know
When I bought my welders, I wasn't a member of this forum. Had I been, I would have, likely, told you guys what I planned to do with a welder, what I expected and waited for your recommendations.
I have two HF stores, a hundred miles each direction. I found both of my Millers at the LWS, used, and didn't think the money was all bad. I KNOW the reputation of a blue machine. The off brand stuff that's sold at TSC's, or the big boxes, I don't know. I had the funds to buy the blue so I went with what I knew.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Drivin' Fool

I bought my first welder when I saw a brand name I knew was solid, 220 volt input AC/DC, and a range that would work for what I wanted to do (hobbyist rod burner ). It also didn't hurt my feelings that it happened to be sitting on the floor of Acklands Grainger with a display model discount price tag on it when I walked through the door that particular day either.

I haven't regretted buying that machine at all, and would buy another one in the future if I needed a second machine for whatever reason (highly unlikely, but you never know).
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2017, 07:51 PM

I hope my previous post was not taken as a defensive post to others here
merely just pointing out people will buy what they can afford for the most part
and with todays completive market on all types of equipment and the out sourcing of such equipment i don't think it really matters of the brand or color any more.
Until you enter the commercial industrial market and that cost!$$$$
for years i had my preferences of the red one then the blue one then I've tried others and found affordability and quality.

I my self have bought equipment that i thought would be all i need but realize later i should of stepped up another notch or two.

I would assume we all want a good machine at a good price or better yet a huge discount where we can get it.

buying a machine brand name or not that you know and at a half price is a golden key to being able to buy the next piece of equipment someone might need i have had lots of old equipment i have been proud of and happy with
and i have bought some name brands i have been unhappy with as well as unhappy with some non name brands i have bought.

well let me put it this way I have a friend if you can call him that... who never does with out when it comes to equipment and brags and try's to degrade me in front of other friends or associates because of my non name brand machine but what he does not tell them is my 800 dollar machine will out preform his 2500 dollar machine hands down and his 2500 dollar machine has been in shop for repair 3 times sense he bought it and it is screwed up again and the company will no longer stand behind it his machine is not a year old and maybe 12 hours of use on it . but yet I am still plugging away with my import and still produces grate welds and so far no issues.

i guess I'm trying to say is don't under buy but its not necessary to over buy either and both import and name brands have their perks and their downfalls
and in the past the down fall of imports was quality control and in todays market even imports are going the extra mile with quality control and producing some very good equipment with a very affordable price but i also think they will out grow there britches and prices will escalate in the future.

so i hope the point i was trying to make is not misunderstood

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Blast this!

I still hope someone before me will buy the big mig from HF Vulcan .
Old 12-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopmonkey View Post
...at least, I don't have to worry about losing status on this forum...
Wait.....we'll find something...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
I am still plugging away with my import and still produces grate welds and so far no issues.
OK it make welds on grates, but how does it weld?

I do agree will the rest of your post That said, I no longer own any China made welding machines. You have to work at finding value, but still possible without buying PRC
Old 12-25-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I still hope someone before me will buy the big mig from HF Vulcan .
?? Were you planning on buying Or Thinking about an HF Vulcan MIG....The Omni 220 multi proses

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171208_174039.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	142708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
OK it make welds on grates, but how does it weld?

I do agree will the rest of your post That said, I no longer own any China made welding machines. You have to work at finding value, but still possible without buying PRC
Ok so I can't spell and I can not depend on my spell checker either...as for how it welds my neighbor has the Lincoln 220mp and is a bit upset that it is no different than my Vulcan undercover Lincoln. the Foot pedal TIG torch, MIG gun an Spool gun are all standard industry design.

One of the points I was trying to make is in todays market you don't have to work hard to find the value with out buying PRC...
people just have to be willing to do the same research as they would do in looking and pricing PRC its that simple.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-

Last edited by MetalWolf; 12-25-2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling eror eror eror
Old 12-25-2017, 02:06 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
so i hope the point i was trying to make is not misunderstood
No worries, mate. You're amongst friends here...

I would seriously consider some of the current Chinee iron IF I was in the market. But I'm not but don't think I haven't been tempted. I actually own a Made in China Thermal Arc TA95 DC lift TIG/stick that does quite a good job. I had one previously that I bought right and sold right although soon regretted it. When another came along, I traveled about 80 miles total to get it and it will not be sold off again. It sits in a small bin with the torch, stinger and accessories and is ready to load in the trunk when needed. Of course, that deal included another welder (HF 90fluxer), cart, extra TIG torch, stinger leads (sold here) and small tank which I sold off and made $100 plus the "free" TA95.

That said, I may go weeks without striking an arc on my blue machines. But when I do, it is for days at a time and the last thing I need is an issue with functionality. If I need a part or tips, etc. I KNOW I can go to my LWS or online and have them in my hand within a day. THAT creates value to me and is one of the reasons pros use such colored machines. And when and if I upgrade, I know I'll be keeping the same color handy...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 12-25-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Elite Member

I have been watching this thread with interest. I believe I am in the market for a nice portable tig. Would like aluminum capability tool, just because I don’t know what side jobs will come up. I just am shy about shelling out the big bucks for a Lincoln or miller Just because I don’t really know how much I am really going to do. And I am still shy about the newer inverters for the long term.

I will say this though, I bought a Lincoln SP 100 mig when I was 18. I remember going to the bank and getting an addition to my first truck loan for it. ($300 used) 27 years later, it just did a job for me yesterday. I think I was not able to get tips for the gun about 10 years ago, so I modified an old used end from a 300 amp tweco gun to take those tips. Helps to have some other machinist knowledge to keep stuff running.

Anyways, if I knew that these newer inverters will be around 25+ years from now, with very sporadic use, it would be a no brainer to pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Blast this!

My Mig is a 135 century with a hot gun .I do have a big AC -Dc Hobart stick .I keep looking at that Omni every trip to HoBo .Most welding is done outside as the shop is mostly a wood ,mechanic shop. What blasting I still do is outside and try to maintain the opacity rule a a property line .