Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
Got a chance to run a bead this morning with the Vulcan rods. I was having a hard time getting the rods to work at 40 amps. had to crank it up to 60, but it appear that the bead was too fluid. once the metal was warmed, I lowered the amps back down to 40. .
Get some 7014 and be done with it.
6011 for the dirty stuff, and 7014 for the pretty looking ones.

It's obvious that chicom rod is too picky.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Got a chance to run a bead this morning with the Vulcan rods. I was having a hard time getting the rods to work at 40 amps. had to crank it up to 60, but it appear that the bead was too fluid. once the metal was warmed, I lowered the amps back down to 40. checked the packaging, the Vulcan rods are made in china. that's weird, I had looked up the Vulcan web site, and it had an India address on it. Guess even they're out sourcing to China. here's a pic. the top bead is at 40 amps,m the bottom at 60. here's a pic.

Not knowing your machine, can you dial in 50 amps instead of 40 or 60?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Not knowing your machine, can you dial in 50 amps instead of 40 or 60?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
nope, it's the old Lincoln red ac buzzbox. it goes from 40,60,75 etc.. sometimes I wish I could fine tune the amps. but for the hobby welding that I do, I'll just deal with it. Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Get some 7014 and be done with it.
6011 for the dirty stuff, and 7014 for the pretty looking ones.

It's obvious that chicom rod is too picky.
the Airco/EasyArc/ Murex 6011 is a lot smoother (cleaner) than most 6011s sold by others, I gave all of my Lincoln Fleetweld 35 and 180 to Norm.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
the Airco/EasyArc/ Murex 6011 is a lot smoother (cleaner) than most 6011s sold by others, I gave all of my Lincoln Fleetweld 35 and 180 to Norm.
Yup, that's all I run for 6011 "The white rod".
Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
nope, it's the old Lincoln red ac buzzbox. it goes from 40,60,75 etc.. sometimes I wish I could fine tune the amps. but for the hobby welding that I do, I'll just deal with it. Thanks
I have this same welder and have always been happy with how the hobart brand rods sold at tractor supply run on it. 6011 and 6013 run good, they also make a 7018AC that is finicky but passable if you find yourself needing a low hydrogen rod and only have the tombstone to run it. I haven't bought a box in a couple years, but I have run quite a bit of it and would guess that it hasn't changed.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Today I was practicing some welding with the Lincoln and Vulcan welding rods.
Both are 3/32 6011 rods and I noticed that the Vulcans were burning kinda hot at 60 amps, so I lowered the amps to 40 amps and they seem to do better.

tried the Lincolns and they were constantly sticking. was finally able to get a good run using 75 amps.
Thanks
I would figure name brand rods use the same volt/amp curve so the settings should be pretty much the same from one machine to the other.
And most machines (at the time) had an OCV (open circuit voltage) in the range of 70 volts.

my Century welder has a High and low tap.
On low/180amp around 71.6 OCV
On High/230 amp around 44.7 OCV

6011 and 7018 are considered high voltage rods, they start better with a higher OCV.

From my manual.
Most ac welding operations will be performed using the LOW AMPERAGE jack. This output tap, because it has a higher open circuit voltage (OCV), provides a deep penetrating arc for welding rusty or thicker metals.
American Welding Society (AWS) rated rods 6011 and 7018 type are formulated to work well with the higher OCV of the LOW AMPERAGE jack.

The HIGH AMPERAGE jack is better suited for welding thinner pieces because the OCV at this tap is much lower. This tap delivers a shallow penetrating arc and smooth, non-stick welding, preferred for welding thinner metals. AWS rated 6013 and 7014 type rods work well at this tap, since they do not require a vary high open circuit voltage to start.

====

NOW
with the budget welders, I guess to save money they generally have a lower OCV
So
at some point in time it started with Import rods at least that is when I noticed that reformulated rods came out and they are generally noted on the box of rods
"Made especially for low OCV welders"

Read the box, it may be that the Vulcan 6011 rods are low "OCV"
and the Lincoln are standard high "OCV" rods.

without getting into too much technicality, when you increased the Lincoln amps to 75 amps- it was not just the amps but an increase of voltage to get 75 amps to flow. the higher voltage maybe what the rod needed.

It maybe maybe, if the rods are not noted, AWS certified/specified, you may not know what you are welding with or what type of metal you are depositing.

It has been a long time but I believe I have seen some Lincoln 6011 and 7018 rods that stated on the box reformulated for lower OCV welders.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Gold Star Dad

Too bad they only seem to sell the Airco/EasyArc/ Murex 6011C in 50 pound boxes these days. I read about them being very good - I think it was in 'Murican Monotreme Magazine. Or Platypus Press.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Too bad they only seem to sell the Airco/EasyArc/ Murex 6011C in 50 pound boxes these days. I read about them being very good - I think it was in 'Murican Monotreme Magazine. Or Platypus Press.
Excellent Idea !

The GNAP can start re-packaging into small lots.

With a nice 300% markup.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Boiler God

300%!!, What kind of cheap F#*king whore do you think, I am?? I would not walk across the street for 300%.