Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Lincoln Electric AC/DC Stick Welder

I'm buying a machine for a distant cousin, a young Lady, worthy of such an expense her first large investment in welding equipment etc.

She inherited her G'pa's cutting torches which I repaired and got in good working order and have allowed her to have me supply her cylinders as long as she keeps the annual rental fee's etc money to me. I was given his Tombstone in AC only by an Uncle that came with the SA and cannot part with it as due to it's original owner and being one of the first machines I ever welded with as a kid.

I've looked at Hobart LX(????) and used this machine, but it did not trip any triggers over the tombstone Lincolns of AC/DC machine.

It's not price I'm looking at to make any decisions, but rather has something else hit the scene of like abilities?

I own both Lincolns in AC only and the AC/DC machine and for the life of me have not found anything in that price range that will suit my needs as able of the big Reds.

FWIW, I've owned Miller stick machines in AC/DC in 220 vlts and have no wants to repeat that agony, but suggestions will be considered.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM
The Real Deal

If you can find a old Wards AC DC machine they are a great welder.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
If you can find a old Wards AC DC machine
Wow, I have not seen one of those machines in over 30 years or so and only one at that. Finding one down here will take some effort.

I'm still thinking a red electric machine for the girl.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 PM
The Real Deal

One here just sold for $75. It was all I could do not to go and get it.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Gold Star Dad

I have a Lincoln Idealarc 250 with 100 foot leads and the original cart that I got for $350. Nice repaint job as well. And a Miller Dialarc 250 with a very nice dolly made by a machinist for $300. And a 1952 AC-only Lincoln AC-180-C that was $50. Stuff is out there if you watch and wait.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
FWIW, I've owned Miller stick machines in AC/DC in 220 vlts and have no wants to repeat that agony, but suggestions will be considered.
I have the thunderbolt ac/dc and other than blowing out diodes, weld fine to me.

The Lincoln cracker box ac/dc (with the switch selected amperage)
I tried one on 7018, had it either too cold (and didn't want to stay lit)
or too hot and burn thru the base metal.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Post Fiend

So what is your question, Jef? You KNOW we will help you spend your money! Why a tombstone? How about an inverter machine? Don't have to worry about leads--just bring the machine closer to the weld and get a bigger extension cord. Unless your cousin is a dinosaur...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
had it either too cold (and didn't want to stay lit
I've run so much stick with these red things I'm used to it. Having a few different sizes in rod helps with getting things closer to a sweet spot most of the time.

She'll do fine with the machine and she thinks it will be a loaner for her use as long as she needs. Giving it to her would allow her Father, a pure dipshit to want to take it somewhere and let one of his dipshit friends use it. My way, she has a machine but not to do as she wants should an outside annoyance be at hand.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Elite Member

He would be a real dipshit if he did that. I think the tombstone would be fine. I can't see there being any regrets. What is the duty cycle of the little inverter machines? I have never used one or seen one used. How old is your niece? I have a ten year old daughter and I have given her welding lessons. I don't hear much of girls welding.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
He would be a real dipshit if he did that.
I've got a few stories of what he's capable of.

Ok, it's ordered and will be in Lake Chuck in a few days. Bought it from Northern with a slight savings over having it delivered to the farm or here at the apt. Easier for me to pickup than to worry about delivery here.

Quote:
What is the duty cycle of the little inverter machines?
A few I've seen and of the one I own of Blue, it's DC value is around 30% at 160 and a tad more in AC(I think). I've gotten so used to using the MM350P or the 185MIG, having a wealth of different wire makeups and kinda forget when I'm welding with the multi-process machine. But so far the magic smoke has not been an issue.

Last edited by LW Hiway; 12-03-2017 at 06:01 PM.