Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Question Mobile welding Hourly rate

Ok i find my self looking for a general hourly rate for mobile welding on the small jobs where my normal method of mobile welding cost does not seem to work for me...

Typically I bid the job cost of materials, consumables, labor and with a clause on miscellaneous and customer ad on's
as most are bigger jobs and builds

So as i get older i find my self wanting more of the small jobs and not so much of the big work because i find my self doing it all by my self as help is hard to find nothing but lazy sob around here. and don't need that either.

so I'm looking for advise on what is a fair but don't cut my own throat either rate i look around and see 100 to 150 trip charge plus 100 to 200 an hour plus consumables.

one guy said he charges 25 bucks per rod and a 175 dollar trip charge
and 80 bucks an inch for aluminum stick welding

most of these guys do farm and ranch welding work buildings and general welding.

I know what it cost to do a big job and how to brake down the cost of materials and consumables but not sure how to go about the small jobs and weather or not to take advise from the mentioned rates above and follow them in some way

do any of you guys have any suggestions...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Gadget Girl

It is a very subjective topic.. Sounds like you guys down that way are getting better wages than around here... About 85.00 per hour is the best I could get unless it was an emergency job and the guy would be cussin and saying just do it..

Of course these are the jobs where you are eyeball deep in mud or snow..

The rate they quoted you I'd be happy with and ideally if the skill set is good enough you deserve every dollar you can get..

Someone will only pay what they think the job is worth (though they don't even weld) and someone will always pay you less if you let them...

My question is how small of jobs do you want and what do you figure you need to make per hour to make it worth it and not feeling like you are being taken advantage of? `

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Standard of Excellence

I charge $150-$175 per hour minimum 2 hrs, though I usually bid all work.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I charge $150-$175 per hour minimum 2 hrs, though I usually bid all work.

Is that per man hour if you have a helper on the job too?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

My last job charged $78 field time, $72 shop. My current job is $96 shop time, depending on the customer. Some get a better rate.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Charge $70 an hour and work half as fast.

It really is subjective. Where I work we have $120 per hour shop rate and a lot of people think it’s too high and will use a shade tree shop for $80. Most repairs we are faster than the shade tree shop and would actually save the customer money.

A LOT of shade tree shops Bring us their customers job once they can’t figure it out.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 AM

We don't all get that sort of money here it use to be 85 an hour plus consumables and materials, till the oilfield came in and every thing shot sky hi...but now it seems to be an average 150 an hour for anyone in field work doing service calls and the bigger companies charge far more than that.
so the cost of operating has gone way up as well the cost of consumables and fuel.

My shop rate is straight on 125 an hour plus parts and or materials with flexibility for some customers as i will work with people on fixed incomes.
and with some people if i have it, i don't charge em because they are elderly and on the worst fixed income and are barley getting by. I do try to give back where i can as I have been down an out a time or two and there has been good people who have helped me get back up an going in some for or another

I really don't know a way to judge my skill set I am a "Multi Specialty Mechanic"
and pride my self on the work i do for people I'm not a fly by night kind of person i have a fair size return customer base some of which feel my rate is too high but keep coming back because they don't have to bring it back for the same issue. and that does not keep me busy all the time as i have to wait till they brake something or find something they want repaired I'm not saying once in a while something don't come back but every now and then it does happen.

I do on occasion get the ones who want to dictate the cost but i have learned to walk away and let them find that shady fly by night for cheap and when they come back to me to fix what the low ball messed up...I tell them now I'm chagrin you for un-fudging it and repairing it rite.

and i do a lot of time find my self working in an open field in temps of 105 or in temps 38 with 20 mph winds and rain but worst is having to work in wet cow crap and no way but to get down and shitty to get the job done...but that's because they can not get anyone else to do it unless they have nice weather or nice place to work.

the jobs i want to scale down to is general repair fix a bent tongue on a trailer
farm implements fence repair general everyday crap that gets broke around the farm or ranch i don't want to install a clutch in a huge ass tractor in the middle of a pasture or build barns or buildings any more nor do i want to build 4 or 5 miles of fence.
two reasons my health and no one wants to work and if they do they want to be big chief but have no idea or the skill to do it on their own... bums hanging on to your shirt tail.

ideally i was thinking if i charge 150 to 200 trip charge just to go out to the job and 20 bucks a rod for general welding i would be ok and covers the other consumables, as most jobs will usually take 1 to 4 hours pending on the type of repair and in some cases a full day on the job but then at that point i would brake it down to a set price but i would already know if it is something that will keep me on the job for a extended period. and as for the 150 to 200 trip charge would depend on the distance i have to travel and if really close by and an all day job i can chose to use it as credit towards the labor.

but as for in the field aluminum welding my thoughts were 35 per inch plus consumables and materials....any thing less is just not worth the trip but again i don't want to cut my own throat

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Minions

I'm still able to cover ins for the shop and things at $60 to $80 per, but that's in shop only. I do not take the circus on the road.

It's nice to have a 2nd income with respect to having a small welding/mechanic shop, the 2nd income being able to take your work on the road and not be bound to the doors of your shop.

That said, these days if I cannot do things within my little world there had better be a good reason to haul things somewhere else to do the deed.

Over the years I've found that trying to offer 'on the road' services is neither worth it nor is it profitable in the long run.

Down here, like said earlier, the Oil Patch rules the roost and no matter who you are, if you cannot live on 90 day accounts payable, your out.

What I can tell you is that a distance in location of 100 miles can make a difference of $100 in per hour expectations.

I cater mostly to the farming community, small it may be, but I have friends here and I try to be of help as I know what their bottom line is. I help where I can, but a fella has to eat. Barter can be worked both ways.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Grumpy Bastard

When I closed the doors in 2007. I was at $125 mobile and $75 in the shop.
Today I would guess $150-175 mobile and $95 in the shop. I did not itemized
standard consumables, steel rod, grinding wheels etc. Aluminum wire maybe,
depending. Nickel or Stainless rod or wire yes. Quarterly I would look at
everything that I didn't itemize and see if it fit in my hourly charge as planned,
if not rates went up. They did every year or so.

From 5PM - 11PM was double time
From 11PM - 6AM was triple time

Clock started when I pulled out of the driveway until I pulled back in the driveway.

If you don't like it, find someone else willing to work for less.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Post Fiend

I can't really advise you Wolf. I don't really do welding for hire but when I do it is a minimum $20 just to setup the machine at my shop.

If I were to do something mobile I would have a minimum charge to setup/showup, plus travel time, plus prep time, plus welding time, plus consumables. (12) 1" welds will take longer than (1) 12" weld so I don't think I would charge "by the rod".

The "problem" you will encounter IMO, is that you will show up to do a job, set it up, do a little prep, weld for 2 minutes and you're done (for example). What the customer will see is you charging him $200 for 2 minutes of welding. Of course we know there is a LOT more to it than that...

Good Luck!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...