Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Cranky Crustacean

Default Weldanpower G7 vs Weldanpower 225

I've been mulling over purchasing one or the other (maybe both) of these older Lincoln units from a friend.

My question to anyone familiar with either one of the two units is "Which would be better suited to run a plasma cutter ?" or maybe neither ?

The G7 has both CC & CV functions while the 225 only has the CV function

I can't drag a price out of him for the G7 unit yet,but I'm assuming it's more than the $650 for the 225 simply because it's a bigger unit.

If I can utilize the smaller 225 to operate the plasma cutter I'll be happy,but I don't have the expert knowledge about the various functions of each unit to determine if the CC function of the G7 is a "must have" to operate a plasma cutter or if it's possible to operate a plasma with the CV function available on the smaller 225.

I'm assuming someone out there has some experence with this and might be able to offer some advice as to the two machines.

I "know" BIGGER is always better ,but in this case he seems less inclined to release the G7 ($$$) while he's perfectly willing to part with the smaller 225. I sold my Lincoln Lincwelder 225 DC last week so I just want to replace my gas welder option ASAP with the best upgraded option. I can live happy with the smaller 225 Weldanpower AC/DC/AC generator,but if I could operate the plasma cutter too then I'd be set pretty good.

I know I've read comments that either CV or CC is a requirement to operate certain other machines off these things,but can't recall which is which or required to operate a plasma unit.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Here are some pics... Not the actual machines just similar ones first two are the G7 and the third one is the 225 in case this helps anyone determine the answer to the question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weldanpower G7.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	101799   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasLincoln4.jpg
Views:	1572
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	101800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weldanpower 225.jpg
Views:	4894
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	101801  
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Dave

here is the link to the Lincoln manual page.. you could compare specs..

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx

fraid my opinion will not be too helpful... I went Blue... Miller Trailblazer 301G ..... with 10kw of clean aux AC power...

(welds OK too)..................

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Cranky Crustacean

I'll be examining the Lincoln manuals,but I was hoping someone might have some practical first hand knowledge of either unit being used to operate a plasma cutter.

It has been years since I read information on connecting a plasma cutter to a portable welder/generator,but I "thought" I remembered that some work for that usage while others do not.

I wish I could retain most if not all I ever research,but damned if I can remember everything I've read over the years

If he gets right on the price I'll purchase BOTH units and then solve the problem and sell off the various actual generators I've accumulated in favor of the welders...

I'm playing a balancing act at the moment since he's got a large Case backhoe I want too,but all his toys are going to cost a couple of bucks and you never know what else might pop-up (and I want that backhoe)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM

It does look like BOTH machines are capable of CC & CV...

might be mistaken... but from the panel pics... it looks like it...

looks also like they are pretty much the same in welding output...

with the G7 having 7kw of aux AC as opposed to the 6kw for the other...

BTW... what Plasma Cutter are you looking at...??

if it is clean sine wave AC it should be fine either way..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)

Last edited by H80N; 02-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

Quote:
Originally Posted by H80N View Post
It does look like BOTH machines are capable of CC & CV...

might be mistaken... but from the panel pics... it looks like it...

looks also like they are pretty much the same in welding output...

with the G7 having 7kw of aux AC as opposed to the 6kw for the other...

BTW... what Plasma Cutter are you looking at...??

if it is clean sine wave AC it should be fine either way..

To back this up, it seems to me that they both have both CV and CC. If the the second one didn't have CC then it wouldn't be able to stick weld, and it clearly shows CV on the left of the panel...

AS far as I know, if it generates AC power then it should run a plasma if it has a high enough kW output. All the CV (MIG, FCAW) and CC (SMAW, GTAW) means is what kind of welding can be done with it.

But I do not have first hand experience as to ever running a plasma from a genny, sorry.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Cranky Crustacean

The G7 unit has CC & CV ,but the 225 unit has VV & CV... with the VV in the AC mode.

The G7 has CC in the AC mode..(which I'm assuming is the required power mode for a Plasma Cutter)

I'm assuming that means
Constant Current (CC)
Constant Voltage (CV)
Variable Voltage (VV)

I would imagine a Plasma Cutter of any type would require 'clean' power in the form of CC or CV and since it runs on AC power then the CC would be required in AC mode ????

I'll get to the bottom of this,but at this point I think the G7 might be the only one that could power a plasma cutter correctly without screwing up the internals of the cutter.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I would imagine a Plasma Cutter of any type would require 'clean' power in the form of CC or CV and since it runs on AC power then the CC would be required in AC mode ????

I'll get to the bottom of this,but at this point I think the G7 might be the only one that could power a plasma cutter correctly without screwing up the internals of the cutter.
Whoa NELLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

The plasma cutter ONLY cares about the aux AC power the welder makes... 120vac or 240vac

it cares not at all about CC or CV...

just look at the genset side of it...

I have run both my Powermax 1000 and my HF Cebora 36 amp plasma off the aux AC of my trailblazer without issue..

the plasma cutter has NO CONNECTION to any of the welding functions on the engine drive just the generator..

just like you were plugging it into a wall outlet...

not to confuse the issue... but you will need plenty of clean dry air for the plasma...

Last edited by H80N; 02-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Well after looking up both units on the Lincoln site and reading some I know less than I did before...LOL

They both have the ability to be used as stand alone power units... one being slightly larger than the other in capacity.

I have to guess both were built prior to most plasma cutters and the max is a 220V 30A circuit or 27A which should be enough for the cutter to operate,but it then becomes a matter of the power being 'clean' enough to sustain the cutter operation I guess

I may just get the smaller unit and put it on a trailer in conjunction with the 6500w Onan generator I have and run the cutter off the Onan & a small compressor off the Lincoln.... Should leave enough spare cash for the backhoe

I could really utilize that big Case backhoe for some projects and get both toys...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Could you give us the brand and model of your plasma cutter??...