Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 AM

Default Project: Iron worker

OK, so I have been ruminating on it long enough and with the addition of the hydraulic pump to the score of free stuff and since 1/2 of the auto lift was destroyed. I have decided to venture out and make my own iron worker. This is something that I have wanted to do for some time but could not spend the money on hydraulic rams and pumps when I was not sure it would even work the way I planned. But when you get it all for free why not take a shot at the moon. In the past I have build belt grinders, chop saws, panel saws, but never an iron worker. I may just settle for a punch press because the shearing action might just be too much for me to make, but we will cross that bridge later.

While I was supposed to be paying attention in church today I was designing the main arm, and the general mechanics of the machine in my head. We have a 120 ton Scotchman at the school that I can take measurements and scale it down for my version that will be my own personal machine.

Question for the forum; upon inspection of the one at work it appears that the arm does not use bearings for the pivot points. It looks like they are just bronze bushings with a grease fitting. Do you think that I would gain anything by using the pillow block bearings from the dyno that was part of the free haul? or should I just use bushings?

The rams that came on the lift were 9000 lb capacity each and I am planning on using both in a parallel manner, I do not think that I will need to punch much more than 1/2 steel, and a 1" hole into 1/2 steel requires almost 40 tons. I am trying to figure out how long the arm needs to be to achieve that tonnage.

Hear is the tonnage chart I have been using;
It is on page 16
http://www.unittool.com/PDFs/Multicyl.pdf

So call me crazy for even attempting this but I have always been one to push the envelope. and I figure now would be the best time to try.

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl View Post

So call me crazy for even attempting this but I have always been one to push the envelope. and I figure now would be the best time to try.
Wow. Okay, you're crazy. Ain't it cool?
I'm looking forward to this.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Elite Member

40*2000=80,000 lb
80,000/9,000=8.888" in a perfect world (no friction losses)

You will need a frame that will handle 40 tons and arms that will handle 4 1/2 tons.

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Blast this!

I would lean toward bronze or steel bushing to do better on the schock loading than bearings . Look at where bushings are still used in industrial equipment . Most big equipment presses ,rolling mills are using bushings unless it is in constant rotation during operation.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 AM

Splain that a bit more for me, is the 8.888" the punch side of the pivot or the ram side. And the 4.5 ton arm. I guess I was over engineering it a bit but i was thinking a stronger arm than that. But that is why I was not a math major.

Cutter, well I guess I did pull my goalie on that one. Ha

"Yes, we did produce a near perfect Republic. But will they keep it? Or will they in their enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the surest way to destruction. Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

Thomas Jefferson

If you spent 1 million dollars every day from the time Christ walked the earth until now, you still would not have spent 1 trillion dollars!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
jhill

You said the rams were 9000 lbs each s0 18,000 total
40 tons = 80,000 lbs so 80,000/18,000 = 4.44
so 4.44 to 1 ratio. If you have a distance of 1 ft from pivot to cutter you will need a 4.44 ft arm to the rams.

Use bushings they will withstand extreme pressure better in low speed applications.

Jerry
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM
jhill

Look at item no. 2706542723 on Ebay It is a pirana iron worker. You can see the length of the arms. They are built really stought. Overbuild everything there is a lot of pressure there. Not the kind of thing I would build.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Standard of Excellence

You might consider building it more like a press than a piranha. Look at the scotchman 40 ton unit and the tooling that goes in the cavity.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM

I think that I will use the bronze bushings and use some thick wall DOM tubing for the race. Looks similar to what Scotchman uses.
I looked up the item Jerry sugested on ebay they are really built heavy duty, Our 120 ton scotchman does not have nearly the size arm as some of those Pirana units. But I was mostly interested in the dies you can get for $277. That is a great price. Thanks for the input guys, this will be a challenge but a fun one.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
jhill

I thought the dies were really resonable too.

Jerry