Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Default Shipping container shop

I'm planning on a new shop sometime this summer. I think a shipping container may be a good choice, I can get a 20' for $3450, and a 40' for $4450. I was thinking the 40' because its twice as long for only $1000 more. I've seen people use containers for storage, but never seen them used for a shop. The only disadvantage I can see is the width. But on the plus side, it would be secure, fire resistant, fairly cheap. Has anyone used a container for a shop before? Do they hold heat well? Or would I have to insulate it? Any disadvantages other than the narrow width? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Default Shipping container

Stickwelder, I have one I use for storage. It does not hold heat at all. It would definately need to be insulated. Please make sure to use a non- flammable insulation!

If you look around on the internet you'll find quite a few examples of these being used for shops and even homes. There are companies that convert them for these uses. You can get a lot of good ideas from their websites.

The big plus for storage is that they are very secure, as constructed.

Have fun.
Alden
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Gold Star Dad

Another problem is condensation. I would be inclined to paint the interior with an insulating paint, then add more insulation on top of that.

Such as: http://www.hytechsales.com/index.html
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to OleDog

I think it'd make a good secure shop building. The downsides are:

1. they can be noisy. lots of echos inside.
2. Uninsulated, they seem to be about 10* colder in the winter than outside, and 40* hotter than outside in the summer.

I have mine sitting on railroad ties, so there is a free flow of air under the floor. This keeps the varmits from digging under but does allow for heating and cooling to happen more rapidly.
There are small vents in the corners, but the addition of an exhaust fan would sure help draw heat out in the summer.

Do not compute the totality of your poultry population until all the manifestations of incubation have been entirely completed.

Nothing says "Poor Workmanship" like wrinkles in your duct tape!!

Last edited by OleDog; 04-21-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Make sure you can put it at your location. I know of places where you can only keep them on your lot for a limited time (for loading/unloading). If it's in a visible, residential area there may be bi-laws.
Wish I had one for extra storage.

First you get good... then you get BBBBAAAAAAADD!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking insulating it with spray foam insulation, put in an exhaust fan and vents to help with condensation, and put it on railroad ties to keep it up off the ground. Is there anything else I would need to do?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Plan on cutting a hole to weld in a metal framed man door.
Same for some windows.

Hotter than hell if setting in the sun. You will need ventulation for sure.

When I worked for a big project plumbing contractor we would use them for on site storage and workshops.

We would rent them. Both 20 and 40 footers.
But they all had man doors and the 40 footers had a window about at the 30 foot point.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes I will be adding a man door and windows also. I'm not sure what to do for insulation. Spray foam is expensive, but has many benefits. And with regular batt insulation, would condensation build up between the steel walls and the insulation? I'd also have to insulate the floor somehow?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Gold Star Dad

Some amazing container conversion work:

http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/co...rsions_gallery
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
trust but verify

Check out the Sea Box website for examples.

Get a 40' HIgh Cube for more height (9',6") and better airflow. Paint the top white. I use roof coating. You can buy silicon micropsheres to mix in your paint for insulation. I live in the South so I didn't bother. I want it warm to dry out everything I have in it.

Paint it to vanish. I have three brush-painted in woodland camo. They are very unobtrusive behind my bushes and trees. People drive by and don't know they are there.

I don't bother with windows because they are a potential leak and I don't want anyone looking in my shop. If I'm in there the lights are on and equipment that draws much more than those lights is also on.

I love the gasketed storage, and will put a lip above the door gaskets so that area is even better protected from water buildup.

I don't have a problem in winter since they are so easy to heat. I wouldn't insulate the inside as it takes up space. Some folks shotcrete theirs.