Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Chain Tensioner

The chain tensioner on my Welty-Way coil line has given out. The pin that the sprocket rides on snapped. I had a new pin made at a local machine shop and it broke again in a few weeks. I have designed a new double shear bracket for the tensioner sprocket to ride on. My question is: will a piece of 1/2" stainless steel rod be alright to use as a shaft, or does it have to be a special material? If stainless will work, I think I can drill and tap it for the grease fitting myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JOG ROLLS 012.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	116196   Click image for larger version

Name:	JOG ROLLS 014.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	116197   Click image for larger version

Name:	JOG ROLLS 013.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	116198   Click image for larger version

Name:	JOG ROLLS 015.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	116199  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Easiest good repair I can see would be to bore out the threads in the adjuster and press in the shaft. Maybe put a small tack weld on the back side to hold it.

I go to the local hydraulic shop for chromed hardened rod when I need a bearing surface.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

yep,its the sharp edge where the threads start thats the problem.

But,nice bracket!
its hell for stout!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
The Real Deal

I think stainless would work great. Yo may have trouble drilling it tho, slower speed and steady pressure. I would think a grade 8 bolt would work and a little easier drilling.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks, I like the grade 8 bolt idea. If I get one with a long enough shoulder on it, it would allow me to thread the inside leg and tighten the bolt until it jams. Then grind off the excess threads and voila... no set screws required! Rotation of that sprocket is clockwise, so it would not tend to loosen the bolt.

Last edited by NOBLNG; 06-09-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Actually, I would need a set screw to be safe since the rollers in the bearing would reverse the thrust on the bolt.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 AM

Okay, my question is, is a grade 8 bolt a shear bolt or a tension bolt? We use both kinds of bolts on aircraft but our marking designations are different. You would need a shear bolt for the bracket you are using, meaning the bolt is designed to carry a shearing load rather than the tension load. I myself would drill the head of the bolt and safetywire it to the bracket. I'll can get a picture of the safetywire if you'd like. We safetywire all flight control and high vibration bolts to prevent loosening. Also the saftywiring of the bolt head would prevent damaging the threads by the setscrew which would making changing the bolt, bearings etc much easier.

Hobart Handler 140, 4 1/2" B&D Grinder, HF 4 1/2" Grinder.10" Table Saw, Drill Press, Compound Sliding Miter Saw, Planer, Joiner, Routers, Wood Lathe, other misc saws and tools, clamps galore

Last edited by MrRodeoCC; 06-10-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 AM
SFT Historian

Not knowing what the thing does, maybe consider A precision tight tolerance shoulder screw/bolt made from alloy steel.

I don't think SS will do well with the needle bearings, maybe a bit soft.

search the link for shoulder screw
http://www.mcmaster.com/#=sceu6v
Old 06-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLNG View Post
I have designed a new double shear bracket for the tensioner sprocket to ride on.
I read your post too quickly and didn't realize you were replacing the original with the welded bracket. Sorry.

Supported on both sides puts a new light on it. GWIZ has a good plan with the precision bolt, if it's hard enough. There are hundreds of grades of SS, do you know what you have? Some is soft as butter some is very hard. A bearing journal needs to be absolutely round and harder than a woodpecker's lip.

I agree with Randy, that's a very substantial bracket. You shouldn't have any problems with that. Nice job.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM

I wound up using an axle bolt from a heavy-duty 4" caster. It should be up to the task, and already had the grease fitting. I can't get a gun on it where it is so I will eventually have to install a 90 degree nipple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Chain Mar 2014 005.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	116219   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	116220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jog Rolls 001.jpg
Views:	180