Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 PM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic View Post
One other option that none of us have tossed out yet would be to check pricing on renting a pull behind engine driven compresssor and blaster ( at least for doing the frame ) . You might spend less initially and actually get the frame done in 8 hours .



Rick
Good idea! I'll swing by the rental place on the way home in the morning.
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
LW Hiway's Avatar
LW Hiway LW Hiway is offline
Lord of the Minions
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indian Bayou and Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 20,117
Default

Quote:
problem with having it done by someone, is that it is a daily driver.
Chris, I was assuming this was a cab/bed off chassis blast.

I've never done this for my own very good reasons that I will not go into here.

Bottom line, there is no way your going to control this blasting without risking severe damage to everything on and around that frame.

My 2cents? A bad bad idea about to happen. YMMV
__________________
God, if you would grant me one request through Prayer, please help me be the Man my Dog thinks I am. Please.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 AM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

Hiway,
The cab is still on the bed was removed a couple of months ago due to severe rot and it would not pass inspection.

I have been putting off building a flat bed until I can do something to prevent the frame from rusting any further.

Here is it's current condition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redneck truck.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	96617  
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 AM
midmosandblasting's Avatar
midmosandblasting midmosandblasting is offline
Blast this!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calhoun ,Mo
Posts: 7,391
Default

If you go fast around wires you will be ok. If brake lines weak you will find it.Cover with duct tape the vent on the differential.With a commercial unit and 165 cfm compressor about 2 hours to commercial about 4 to white metal .Heavy plastic the glass use duct tape to hold. you will turn around at wrong time and get them.Use a funnel with a screen in it to fill the round top type home blasters .Check some of the lumber yards. Menards has a good fine grade silica used as a sand in paint that works good.$4 for 50 pounds . 1 use pla about 500 pounds .If you can save and screen,you can get about 3 runs through then scrap or save for body parts with good stand off to control warp age. Good luck have fun .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 AM
22-W's Avatar
22-W 22-W is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
Hiway,
The cab is still on the bed was removed a couple of months ago due to severe rot and it would not pass inspection.

I have been putting off building a flat bed until I can do something to prevent the frame from rusting any further.

Here is it's current condition
Wow! Your fenders came from the same place as mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	96619  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-W View Post
Wow! Your fenders came from the same place as mine.
Actually I blatantly stole your idea I thought it was great! I didn't realize they were plastic until I got to Lowe's. Which was even better than the galvanized ones I was going to get. They will stay on the truck even after i get the flat bed built. I will notch them to fit over the springs however so they fit up against the frame, that way they won't stick so far out past the tires. This was a quick and dirty job to get my inspection sticker. The mud flaps are cut from the old rubber tail gate mat
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
If you go fast around wires you will be ok. If brake lines weak you will find it.Cover with duct tape the vent on the differential.With a commercial unit and 165 cfm compressor about 2 hours to commercial about 4 to white metal .Heavy plastic the glass use duct tape to hold. you will turn around at wrong time and get them.Use a funnel with a screen in it to fill the round top type home blasters .Check some of the lumber yards. Menards has a good fine grade silica used as a sand in paint that works good.$4 for 50 pounds . 1 use pla about 500 pounds .If you can save and screen,you can get about 3 runs through then scrap or save for body parts with good stand off to control warp age. Good luck have fun .
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't even considered accidentally swinging toward the windows

Didn't get to the rental place this morning...forgot with all the action at work last night. Try to do better in the morning
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 AM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

$165/day just for the compressor. I stopped asking after that.

The compressor was a beast though, 45 cfm. This was the smallest compressor they had that was rated higher than mine.

I'm thinking I'll give the TSC blaster a go. I can always return it if my satisfaction isn't met.
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM
22-W's Avatar
22-W 22-W is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabull View Post
Actually I blatantly stole your idea I thought it was great! I didn't realize they were plastic until I got to Lowe's. Which was even better than the galvanized ones I was going to get. They will stay on the truck even after i get the flat bed built. I will notch them to fit over the springs however so they fit up against the frame, that way they won't stick so far out past the tires. This was a quick and dirty job to get my inspection sticker. The mud flaps are cut from the old rubber tail gate mat
I'm glad the idea is at least staying in Maine! Actually, I think mine are narrower than yours as they don't stick out past the tires very much. They had two different widths if I remember correctly. Now we have to convince Madam that since she is in Maine she needs these on her vehicle! (or her bike)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM
akabull's Avatar
akabull akabull is offline
Maine-iac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Albany Township, Maine
Posts: 2,240
Send a message via MSN to akabull
Default

I think it is a must that they get installed on her bike! She'd only have to buy one though and rip it down the middle to get one for the front and back tires.
__________________
Chris in Maine
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.