Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-26-2006, 02:06 PM

Default high temp camera

I am looking for info on what type or brand of camera to use inside a pipe for viewing welding inside a pipe. If someone has used a camera for this before , where did you get it and what do they run. I need this pretty bad we experienced some unacceptable weld inside a24" pipe 20' long because we could not see it well enough.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:48 PM

bump up , anyone got any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Voice of Experience

Sorry, that's above my pay grade. I do want to say welcome. Bgott lives in your neck of the woods and has been in that business for awhile. He might chime in when he sees your post..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

Well, I'm not exactly in that business but you might try calling a plumber that has a camera for inspecting sewer lines.

Sewer Pipe Inspection Cameras

I'm doin' some Google searchin', they have some nifty stuff for checkin' out pipe!

What kind of pipe welding are you doing, anyway? Most of the pipe stuff that I know about around here gets X- ray tested.

Last edited by bgott; 11-03-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Lord of the Reins

If I understand you correctly, the camera is to be a troubleshooting tool to view the root pass as it progresses. And at least one end of the pipe is open ended.

My suggestion is an inexpensive remote video camera. They're not too expensive and they are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We use one like that for remote viewing of our gas turbine package. Try an electronic's store or a store that specializes in computers and other electronic stuff. Then bundle the camera together with a miniature spotlight. Put a bipod under it and fish it into the pipe with some stainless tubing. Build it so when you turn the tubing it rotates the camera. You can then view it on a TV monitor and record it on VCR.

Also if you give some additional information like what WPS you are following, the process and consumables, alloy of pipe and just what problems you are experiencing... stuff like that. Someone may offer some advice.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Lord of the Minions

If your welding in a shop type application, you need to do a little looking into some Quality Control or Quality Assurance applications.

There are some specific pieces of equipment for these type applications that can be had for some serious expense. Looking at these pieces of equipment could off you some ideas of some off the shelf products that could be used in lieu of the more expensive.

If it is possible to look at the areas while there is no actual welding being done, might I suggest a "web cam" to hook up to your portable( or made portable) computer. Place the web cam on a plank (flat surface) mounted and try different light applications mounted as well with the camera.

Cheapie underwater camera systems will come with a moniter and have it's own light source. I remember seeing something like that from either Northern Tool or HF.

WalMart also carries security camera systems, but not sure if their size would do in your application.

No matter what type of camera you find or use, you should have the option, built in with the camera system, to be able to have a short focal point and remote adjustable focus. Quality made cameras can be found in some very small packages, color or B/W. Light sources would easily be adapted to a camera's mount to allow the light to not wash out the camera's image. Controlling the lights output value would be a plus as well to control wash.

Heat would be a factor, but if the piping is allowed to cool and then use of the camera (cheapie) would not be a problem.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

You could rig/make a rolling ring which would allow the camera to be revolved on it's center axis that would allow you to crank the camera in a 360 degree movement and copy the images to your computer etc.

A few days of looking and simple makins would make you a very affordable piece of Quality Control equipment.

LW

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 11-04-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 AM

Sorry bout not being specific enough. We do corrosion overlay. The base alloy is anything from carbon to SS.
We overlay with 309L,316L,stellite,etc.
The camera will be mounted on a boom just above the gun that is extended into the pipe. We use the pulse mig process. I want to be able to witness the overlay at all times,so the camera needs to be able to withstand extreme heat,as it will be only a few inches(10"max.) from the welding process.I really want a setup that is designed for this application,building something is an option but would rather buy something ready to go out of the box. I know this can get expensive but the rework that I am having to perform is getting expensive as well!
Thank you all for trying to help me with this!
Dennis
Old 11-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Depending on the size of pipe you might be able to use an IR camera, similar to the ones used by the Fire Dept. Ours are made by Bullard, but they would need a pipe with about 8" I.D. for it to fit into. it also can transmit its video signal to a monitor for viewing at another location. They are pricey little buggars.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
If your welding in a shop type application, you need to do a little looking into some Quality Control or Quality Assurance applications.
They have their own equipment and the expertise to use it and know what their looking at.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Funny, I find myself needing a similar setup to this. Did the OP ever get anyhting figured out? I'm new btw.